• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would DWill have been Dwill without Vinny Yestaverde?

Hotsauce

Vinny will prolly be forgotten by the next generation of Panther fans, and many reveled in mocking his age and lack of "farve' " as I call it. But of all the things we did to sub for Jake, Vinny was the classiest and, in the end, most sane thing we did. 44 years old and was still breaking records. The team almost ignored him wallowing in their own wound licking...but DW prooved he had a lot to give. Vinny would make a great QB coach. This was a great "memory bump!" Thanks

it does remind people that some of this "John Fox doesn't play his best players" nonsense is misconstrued for reasons they don't know/don't understand. Williams is always the key point in that theory, but they forget that besides this and Williams growing up, he wasn't showing as a good blocker, he wasn't doing the little things right. And while he had talent, and showed some, he didn't apply enough of it before 2008.

Of course, I think pushing him with Stewart was a factor, too. I don't know if he'd have been a 1500 yard rusher with Otah but without Stewart, but certainly having a top 15 pick behind you makes you push a little harder.

it's also a shame that once Deshaun Foster would/could finally do what the coaches asked (hit the hole, don't dance, wrap the ball, put your head down and churn), he'd lost his burst.

Not only does this speak to Vinny's leadership and the respect towards him, but also shows that Deangelo is a humble pro, one who was willing to take advice that could help his career. So many young guys seem to be above it, or have an edge to them, but not DWill.

Reminds me of when we drafted him, one of the first stories I read about him was that he had never attended an NFL game before in his life. A humble guy willing to learn and improve makes a better player on and off the field.

Too much is made of that story.

That's hard to say. Who was there that would provide leadership and advice on the offensive side of the ball? A guy that points fingers and yells when he overthrows his receivers, but takes the blame during press conferences? Or a guy whose advice is "You need to spend more time in the film room"?

Testaverde is one of the classiest players ever to lace them up. Kevin Mawae (All-Pro Center from the Titans) was at my church recently and he said out of all the quarterback's he has played with that Testaverde was his favorite and the classiest. Just to show you how big of a compliment that is I will list the quarterback's that Mawae has played with.

1. Vinny Testaverde- (1986 Davey O'Brien Award Winner, 1986 Walter Camp Award Winner, 1986 Maxwell Award Winner, 1996 Heisman Trophey Winner, 1986 UPI Player of the Year, 2X Pro Bowler)

2. Stan Gelbaugh- (1991 WLAF Offensive MVP)

3. Rick Mirer- (1993 UPI AFL-AFC Rookie of the Year)

4. Gino Torretta- (1992 Heisman Trophey Winner, 1992 Davey O'Brien Award Winner, 1992 Johnny Unitas Award Winner, 1992 Maxwell Award Winner, 1992 Walter Camp Award Winner, 1992 Harley Award Winner)

5. Warren Moon- (9X Pro Bowler, 3X All-Pro, 5X Grey Cup champion, 2001 Enshrined on Eskimos' Wall of Fame, 1990 NEA NFL MVP, 1990 NFL Offensive Player of the Year, 1990 UPI AFL-AFC Player of the Year, 1989 Man of the Year, 1998 Pro Bowl MVP, 2X Grey Cup MVP, 1983 CFL Most Outstanding Player, 1983 Jeff Nicklin Memorial Trophy, 1978 Rose Bowl MVP, Tennessee Titans #1 Retired, Canadian Football Hall of Fame 2001, Pro Football Hall of Fame 2006)

6. John Kitna- (1997 NFL Europe World Bowl MVP, 2003 NFL Comeback Player of the Year)

7. Tom Tupa- (1X Pro Bowler, 1X All-Pro, 1X Super Bowl Champion)

8. Chad Pennington- (1999 Draddy Trophey Winner, 1999 Motor City Bowl MVP, 2X NFL Comeback Player of the Year, All-Time Leader in Completion Percentage)

9. Brooks Bollinger- (1999 Big Ten Freshman of the Year, 2002 Unitas Gold Arm Award Finalist, 2009 UFL MVP)

10. Quincy Carter- (1998 SEC Freshman of the Year)

11. Kliff Kingsbury- (Sammy Baugh Trophey Winner)

12. Jay Fiedler- (2002 National Jewish Museum Sports Hall of Fame Inductee, 2003 All-Iron Award Winner)

13. Kerry Collins- (2X Pro Bowler, 1994 Maxwell Award Winner, 1994 Davey O'Brien Award Winner, 1994 Sammy Baugh Award Winner, 1994 College Quarterback of the Year)

14. Vince Young- (2002 Pete Dawkins Trophey Winner, 2005 Manning Award Winner, 2005 Davey O'Brien Award Winner, 2005 Archie Griffin Award Winner, 2X Rose Bowl MVP, 2006 Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year, AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year, 2X Pro Bowl Selection)

15. Chris Simms- (1997 ESPN RISE National High School Junior Player of the Year, 1998 USA Today Offensive High School Player of the Year)

16. Dan McGwire

17. John Friesz

18. Glenn Foley

19. Ray Lucas

20. Tory Woodbury

Archived