• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andrew Luck vs. Jimmy Clausen

unicar15

What are your doubts about the best qb prospect since at least Carson Palmer?

Honestly, it's just the fact he's only a sophomore. Just a bit uneasy about crowning him, but I do think his potential high enough you have to take him. I think he could be that good.

But I don't know that he will come out. May depend if his coach does.

I am not a GM and have not really seen Luck play. If the Panthers have the #1 pick and this guy is the prospect everyone is saying he is then "YES" pick him!!! I dont care if we have Clausen, of which, I liked that pick. I do not want this franchise to pass up a potential and higher probability franchise QB to maybe build around.

Draft Luck, bring in a Vet QB, then let Clausen & Pike fight it out for the #3 spot. If Clausen beats out Luck then more power to him and then the Panthers have a nice problem on their hands.

Doesnt matter what chance Clausen has had. I really like the kid, but from all that I have read Luck is the next great QB. No guarantees, but Lucks ceiling is way higher than Clausens.

We have to have 'our' guy. Clausen could be it, but let him battle it out with Luck.

Luck could be a franchise defining type of player, cant pass up on him.

What about Ryan Mallett? Andrew Luck may or may not be the best QB in the draft, but in any case he isn't exactly head and shoulders above Mallett. Mallett is bigger, and has the stronger arm. Fixing the O-line is not going to be a big problem. Through free agency, trades, and the draft, we can rebuild the line. (And the two major problems here is our right gaurd and right tackle. Hopefully, Otah will be back next year 100%, but if not, we can replace him.)

If Mallett decides to come out for the draft, it would be a mistake to not draft him. He has all the intangibles to be the next Peyton Manning. And I do agree Clausen didn't have much of a chance this year with our play, but there is nothing exuding from him that says "I'm a probowl player year in and year out".

Here is the deal. Have we given Clausen a chance? Name a QB who could succeed here right now. There are none.

Get the OL right and then talk QB. Maybe Clausen is not the QB, but look back at all the great QBs and read their rookie stats. Most sucked because their teams sucked.

When the wings fall off the airplane, you can change pilots if you want, but the result is going to be the same.

We can compare his numbers to the greats if you want, but they are more similar to guys you've never heard of than the greats.

So just say you take Luck or Mallett, and you already have Clausen. Why is that a problem? If Clausen can play (and he probably would next year), and play well, then whichever guy is better stays and the other goes for at least the second we gave up for Jimmy?

And don't forget, the guy hiring the next head coach is the same guy who decided to draft Clausen and Edwards this year. It's a fair bet that they're not bringing in anyone who will want to get rid of either right away.

What about Ryan Mallett? Andrew Luck may or may not be the best QB in the draft, but in any case he isn't exactly head and shoulders above Mallett. Mallett is bigger, and has the stronger arm. Fixing the O-line is not going to be a big problem. Through free agency, trades, and the draft, we can rebuild the line. (And the two major problems here is our right gaurd and right tackle. Hopefully, Otah will be back next year 100%, but if not, we can replace him.)

If Mallett decides to come out for the draft, it would be a mistake to not draft him. He has all the intangibles to be the next Peyton Manning. And I do agree Clausen didn't have much of a chance this year with our play, but there is nothing exuding from him that says "I'm a probowl player year in and year out".

isn't he the one with the long delivery?

isn't he the one with the long delivery?

From looking at the highlights of both QBs, their delivery speed are about the same. (Of course my eye isn't the best in judging these kinds of things) Mallett definitely looks like the better pick just on arm strength alone. Now if Mallett had the "Bryan Leftwich wind up" throw, then that would be a different story.

Overall, if we have the number one overall pick next season, if there is a season next season:D , by default we would have to pick a QB with that pick. (The record would speak for itself that Clausen struggled all year, and the new coach would want to choose his guy)

I will say this until draft day. I am very nervous about taking a 2 year starter with the no.1 overall pick.

Not saying that the pick is not the right one, but just saying that I would be nervous.

Meh if he's good he's good. I just don't want to take another QB after taking Clausen and Pike. Clausen is competitive guy and I think he'll do whatever he can to be ready by next season. Plus we don't know if the FO wants bring in a vet QB. Since Hurney will likely be here don't be surprised if Moore comes back.

I say if an elite DT is on board we take him. Or at least trade down and get the best trench player on the board whether it be an OG or DT. WE HAVE TO replace Jenkins. It's what this defense has been missing. We need a guy to free up Brown, Johnson, and Hardy. All whom should be better next year.

We need a final solution at RG and we need a quality tackle whether it be draft or FA to back up Gross or to be the LT of the future.

again, someone clearly doesn't understand how teams find offensive guards.

hint: it's not in the first round

Personally I hate the idea of drafting a G in the first, but you are seeing more and more of them drafted higher than in years past.

Same can be said for C's.

Archived