• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andrew Luck vs. Jimmy Clausen

unicar15

I get it guys

Luck is ranked higher he will always be a better N F L QB

than a 2nd ,3rd or 4th round draft pick ever could be .

No one said that and you still don't get it.

Let us not forget we stumbled upon Wharton at pick 94 & Kalil at 59. There's no doubt we can find great help beyond the first round in the draft...or in the FA for that matter. What's the problem here?

Don't know about all that draft stuff, but I do know that it's not often you get then number 1 draft pick overall, and it's not often you get to take the top ranked QB. Sure they don't always pan out, but half the battle is taking a chance and doing it. Ask the Rams, Jets, Falcons, Bucs, and Ravens, how the future is looking for them.

Doesnt matter what chance Clausen has had. I really like the kid, but from all that I have read Luck is the next great QB. No guarantees, but Lucks ceiling is way higher than Clausens.

We have to have 'our' guy. Clausen could be it, but let him battle it out with Luck.

Luck could be a franchise defining type of player, cant pass up on him.

EXACTLY.

This is the point that you bank on. You don't pass up a guy that has the characteristics of Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Ryan to play a guy that is more of a Chad Pennington. Is a guy like Pennington good? Yeah...but he isn't Manning, Ryan, or Rodgers. Its the most important position in all of sports. You don't pass on an elite level talent because you "think" you might have a good QB. Andrew Luck is a sure-fire Pro bowl caliber QB. The type of QB this franchise has never had.

Hell...The freaking Chargers drafted Phillip Rivers when they had Drew Brees on their team. I wouldn't exactly call Jimmy Clausen a Drew Brees caliber QB right now.

For those of you that think that we should "trade down." When was the last time someone traded out of the first pick? Not only is it incredibly difficult to do...its incredibly stupid to do when you don't have a QB entrenched as a starter.

Can you imagine what Falcons fans would have done if Atlanta had traded down to take Glenn Dorsey and passed on Matt Ryan?? Atlanta would still be in the cellar with an overrated Glenn Dorsey and Ryan would be excelling at another franchise. It is just a preposterous idea...

This is the point that you bank on. You don't pass up a guy that has the characteristics of Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Ryan to play a guy that is more of a Chad Pennington. Is a guy like Pennington good? Yeah...but he isn't Manning, Ryan, or Rodgers. Its the most important position in all of sports. You don't pass on an elite level talent because you "think" you might have a good QB. Andrew Luck is a sure-fire Pro bowl caliber QB. The type of QB this franchise has never had.

Not sure what a "sure-fire pro bowl caliber QB" is. Sounds really funny.

If you are trying to say that he is a lock you are wrong, there is no such thing.

If you are trying to say his potential is ridiculous and hasn't been seen for a few years in a QB then you are correct.

There will be risk no matter what and he could be a bust but it'll be hard to pass him up.

Well for that franchise at that time, yes Ryan was obviously the correct choice, but lets be fair to Dorsey and consider the scheme/role he excelled at in college and is built for in the pros before we just label him as "overrated" when he doesnt light the world on fire when he's asked to be a space-eater.

i wouldve rather had Dorsey for that second round pick over Edwards, tho

Oh, and going back to the previous post, Brees was nowhere near the QB he is now when they drafted Rivers. they took best available player and raped the Giants for draft picks, and Brees, whether motivated by that draft pick or not, later developed into an elite QB.

Several scouts and experts have said Luck is one of the most complete QB's to come out of college in a long time, if you get the chance to draft him you take him, regardless of who you already have at the position. All the WR's and DT's in the world won't get you a championship if you don't have a QB.

Haven't read this whole thread, so if you will forgive me here, but it seems from what I've read the majority opinion is either:

A) Can't pass on Luck, trade Claussen for a draft pick, and bring in a vet to start/backup Luck

B) Keep as is, trade down, bring in a vet backup for Clausen, and restock the lines

What I want to know is, why trade Pickles away if he's doing well this season, and why is it that we can't have two possible franchise QBs on the roster at the same time?

Would the world implode or something? I'd like to see us pick up Luck (if we can), keep Jimmah to develop, and pickup an FA vet QB to mentor both. In a couple of years, when some rookie contracts are up, we decide then who to keep, or keep going as is, depending on how the guys feel about their status. If we have learned nothing else this year, it's that we need quality backups at every position, and that includes QB.

So, why take a chance of passing up possibly the next best QB to come out of college in years, and why not let both of them duke it out for the top spot come Spring? We can fill holes with FAs, since we'll have decent cash to spend, and no looming lockout to keep JR's hands out of his pockets. We'll have a new coach to do things his way. Hopefully Rip will be gone like the dodo, and Davidson's fat ass is retired by default. So, less chance of either screwing up our new hopefuls next season.

to me, this is win-win. RGs come cheap in FA, DTs can be found til next draft, since there really isn't a good option in this one, and I feel we've shored up our WR well enough atm to wait a couple of more years to look for the next Smitty. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gettis become the next Smitty myself. Kid has a lot of promise, imo.

Archived