• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is it worth the trade off?

Mr. Scot

It depends on what market is left, which after the Super Bowl, isn't that much. Most teams try to get their jobs filled, likely passing up on the favorites, if they're still active. Had the Vagies came out of the NFC, Spags wouldn't be in St. Louis now - Chip Rosenbloom preferred Frazier. Jim Schwartz probably wouldn't have been the Detroit guy if the Titans were still alive.

That may be true for the lesser jobs, but to say a team wouldn't go after a "favorite" coach just because they are still playing in the post season just doesn't hold up to past history. If a team has their eye on a coach, and they have a good idea that they can sign him, it's been proven in the past that they can and will wait. Keep in mind we are not just talking NFL teams here, but college also - which also provides a "market" for NFL coaches as well. Case in point is the example I gave. That's not just one HC job filled off of one team after a Super Bowl, but two - one to an NFL team, the other to a college team.

Certainly, teams are going to want to fill their slots as soon as they can, but to say categorically that "most teams" are not going to wait for their favorites is just being subjective.

In the case of Schwartz... can you prove what you are saying, or are you just guessing?

Consider this for a moment.

If the Panthers had beaten the Cardinals then beaten the Eagles and gone on to the Super Bowl, then at this very moment Mike Trgovac would still be the defensive coordinator.

Add in that with this season ending in a Super Bowl appearance, it's a lot less likely that there would have been any significant coaching changes next season. Thus, we'd probably have headed into next year with Trgovac too, and possibly all the departed underlings as well.

So which outcome would you prefer?

A) Make it to the Super Bowl and keep the prior staff for the foreseeable future since there'd be no reason to rearrange a winning staff

B) Get bounced from the playoffs and have a major coaching shakeup that likely alters the future dramatically (for better or worse)

Sadly, whether I prefer it or not, if we won the super bowl we'd lose a lot of our coaches anyway. Hell Trgovac might go out and become a head coach. Even if we lost the Super Bowl this would happen. Most Super Bowl participating coaching staffs get picked apart for coaches.

if we had managed to go to and win the superbowl then it probably meant that our defense didn't hold us back. that almost 400 yards a game and 29 points per game that they were giving up was a huge liability and only a matter of time before it bit us in the butt. if that wasn't happening, the superbowl scenario would have happened.

I don't agree with you there at all. Historically, teams that are very successful often lose their coaching staff to other teams looking for "good" talent. Look at the 2004 Pats for an example... in just one year after a Super Bowl, they lost both their OC Charlie Weis, and DC Romeo Crennel (this is why they stuck out in my mind). They also lost several assistant coaches, including Jeff Davidson.

So in essence, even if we had won the Super Bowl, I think it even more likely that we would not have kept our current coaching staff, including Mike Trgovac.

I said "at this moment". The Super Bowl hasn't happened yet.

And to clarify for all, my premise doesn't state that we won the Super Bowl, just that we got there.

Suppose we had gotten there and lost?

I said "at this moment". The Super Bowl hasn't happened yet.

And to clarify for all, my premise doesn't state that we won the Super Bowl, just that we got there.

Suppose we had gotten there and lost?

Sorry about that. I looked a little closer at what you wrote:

If the Panthers had beaten the Cardinals then beaten the Eagles and gone on to the Super Bowl, then at this very moment Mike Trgovac would still be the defensive coordinator.

I see what you're saying. But that's kind of a "duh" statement, isn't it? I mean, we wouldn't fire him if we were still in contention, nor would he jump ship.

This is what I was responding to:

Add in that with this season ending in a Super Bowl appearance, it's a lot less likely that there would have been any significant coaching changes next season. Thus, we'd probably have headed into next year with Trgovac too, and possibly all the departed underlings as well.

On that, I would agree that if we had lost, we may indeed have kept Trgovac. Or not. We may have done him the same way we just did. Or rather, he may have done us the same way, whichever :lol:

So which outcome would you prefer?

A) Make it to the Super Bowl and keep the prior staff for the foreseeable future since there'd be no reason to rearrange a winning staff

B) Get bounced from the playoffs and have a major coaching shakeup that likely alters the future dramatically (for better or worse)

This was not a team that would have beaten the Steelers in the super bowl anyways with the way our defense was playing. We were terrible at the end of the year so if we had not gotten our sh*t together on defense then I would say just trash the season and lets look for new coaches. If the defense was playing lights out going into the super bowl then I would say I'd rather be there and have a chance to win.

Archived