• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What will Ron Meeks do

panthers1789

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/They+Said+It/2008/said01272009.htm

This is real encouraging:

Colts LB Gary Brackett, praising the Panthers hiring of former Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks, as quoted in The (Rock Hill, SC) Herald: "They're definitely getting a great asset in Ron Meeks. He really lives for football, and makes it fun for his guys and makes us better players." Brackett continued: "I think if I had to say one word, it would be preparation. He's very thorough in his preparation for each game, very knowledgeable about what the other team's trying to do."

Just that line make me excited about this hire. It is one thing to run a system. If you do not know what the other team is wanting to do then you start the games blind.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/They+Said+It/2008/said01272009.htm

This is real encouraging:

Colts LB Gary Brackett, praising the Panthers hiring of former Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks, as quoted in The (Rock Hill, SC) Herald: "They're definitely getting a great asset in Ron Meeks. He really lives for football, and makes it fun for his guys and makes us better players." Brackett continued: "I think if I had to say one word, it would be preparation. He's very thorough in his preparation for each game, very knowledgeable about what the other team's trying to do."

Just that line make me excited about this hire. It is one thing to run a system. If you do not know what the other team is wanting to do then you start the games blind.

Yea the colts players were saying he was always the first person in the film room. At least we shouldn't look lost next season and look unprepared.

Yea the colts players were saying he was always the first person in the film room. At least we shouldn't look lost next season and look unprepared.

Thats the thing. We have guys that have played a lot together. Looking lost and uncertain in situations is not acceptable. Hopefully it was coaching and Meeks will correct and eliminate our deficiencies.

He is a guy who stresses the fundamentals. He also is a coach that is known to get the most out of his players. Playing to their strengths.

Well good, because it certainly hasn't looked like the defense we have been using utilizes the strength of our players.

Their defense gave up 6 passing TD's this past season. The fewest passing TD since the inception of the 16 game schedule. That is pretty damn good. Being pass defense was a clear weakness. I think we have the right guy.

Very good point.

If he can bring that sort of play out of our secondary while still playing the run well (and with a big defensive line), we'll be in good shape.

Now let's see if we can get Herm Edwards as our defensive backs coach, and we're golden.

He is a guy who stresses the fundamentals. He also is a coach that is known to get the most out of his players. Playing to their strengths.

And that's all that really matters. The Panthers are still gonna be a zone blitzing team, which is not the horrible thing that people make it out to be. The Steelers are a zone blitzing team too, and it seems to be working fine for them, despite the fact that their HC came from the same Tampa 2 system that Meeks is coming from.

I'm sure Fox will want to tweak things just like every team does every year, and that he will be willing to listen to any ideas that Meeks may have about how to better utilize the players, but there won't be a major overhaul of the system.

Archived