• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who fits the Tampa 2 and Who dose not. My break down.

Snake

So I have nothing better to do then break down the whole D and see who will fit the Tampa 2 and who will not fit it as well. I will be judging by requirements of the Tampa 2 and they are Speed,Tackling,and Pass rush.

DE's

J.Peppers: Has the size and speed to be a great RE in the Tampa 2. I know duh he's leaving but this has been a crazy off-season so who knows.

T.Brayton: Lacks ideal speed to be a everdown DE but plays the run well and should be the LE in a rotation. His Speed may be a factor in the Tampa 2

C.Johnson: Is a undersized DE that has good pass rushing ability and avg run stopping ability. He should fit well in the Tampa 2 be cause of his quickness.

H.Taylor: Is a very undersized DE that will need to bulk up to play RE in the 4-3 base. He has very good pass rushing skills and if he puts on some pounds he will be ideal in the Tampa 2 because they value speed over size.

DT's

D.Lewis: Has the speed to rush the passer and is alittle undersized. He will fit right in with the Tampa 2 because of his speed and quckness.

M.Kemo: Is superb at stopping the run and eats up two defenders on every play. He is a good NT in a 3-4 or a run stopper on a 4-3 but dose not fit well with the Tampa two because of lack of pass rush skills and his size.

N.Hayden: Is a good pass rusher but at this point is a poor run stopper. Is a good fit in the Tampa 2 because of his size and pass rush ability but he is still raw and needs some good coaching to help with his run stopping.

D.Walker: Wily vet that still has some pass rush ability in him but is just avg run stopper. With his size and pass rushing ability his will fit in the Tampa 2 well.

LB's

J.Beason: Has Ideal speed and quickness needed to be the Mike in the Tampa 2 and is a very good fit. His pass rush ability is also very well suited for the Tampa 2

T.Davis: Has the Ideal speed and quickness needed to be in the Tampa 2. His pass rush ability is also very well suited for the Tampa 2.

N.Diggs: He is a wily vet that still has the speed to make up ground and should fit well in the Tampa 2.

D.Connor: Lacked the ideal speed for a 4-3 Mike in Collage and it would be speculated that he would not be a very good fit in the Tampa 2. Still too early to tell because lack of game time.

L.Johnson: Has the Ideal Speed and quickness to be a Will or a Sam in the Tampa 2.

J.Anderson: Has the ideal speed and quickness to be a Will or and Sam in the Tampa 2.

A.Seward: Lacks the speed and quickness needed to play Mike in the Tampa 2.

CB's

C.Gamble: Has the speed and the quickness but Tackling and run stopping are avg. His pass rush ability should be a factor in the Tampa 2

K.Lucas: Lacks speed but has sound tackling and is very good in Run support. He should fit well in the Tampa 2.

R.Marshall: Has good speed and quickness and ideal tackling and run support. His Pass rush ability should be a factor in the Tampa 2.

C.Wilson: Lacks speed but is a sound tackler. Not much game time from his so his fit is really unknown.

DB's

C.Harris: Sound tackler and has avg speed for a DB. He should fit very well into the Tampa 2 after spending time with the Bears before being traded to Carolina.

C.Godfrey: Has Ideal speed and tackling ablity and should fit well in the Tampa 2

Even if we don't run a full on tampa 2, though We basically run a cover 2 or cover 1 most of the time anyways. we usually have harris hit the line for run support. Given that Meeks will make Godfrey a star and Harris will be pretty good in the coverage scheme under Meeks and he still hits really hard and makes people fumble.

Dungy's Cover 2 was at its best when he had uber-active tackle Warren Sapp in the DT spot and likely hall of famer Derrick Brooks behind him.

We have a potential Brooks type talent in Jon Beason. At DT though, the only guy we had that fit that profile and came close to that level is currently in New York (and rightly so; let's not start that debate again).

Be interesting to see if they make a run at Haynesworth or another DT.

Yea but Brooks is a OLB, Beastson is a MLB

Similar talent at the second level though. That's the main point for me.

Forgot to throw in that Tampa's best defenses also had a safety that wasn't the fastest guy on the field but could deliver a bone jarring, teeth rattling hit in John Lynch. We have 'that guy' in Chris Harris.

Definitely not as for Godfrey, meeks system has the ability to allow safeties to do well but that is still dependent upon ability, which Godfrey has, just needs to continue learning. I see changes in our d-line, especially with developing Hilee Taylor into a Robert Mathis type. We will probably address the DT in the draft, and the Colts Defense has always been great at bringing in undrafted players on D and having them develop into legit starters.

Might show some tampa 2, but we wont go there fully. For most of the time. I can tell you Fox wont do that, and I can put my life on it

You will see the same cover 2 & 3 also

Thank god we won't make you stand up to that bet. I don't see us bringing in a D.C. with a philosophy to run a particular type of defense to change to a defense he might not be too familiar with.

Then again, you might have more inside info to this team that you aren't disclosing but I would NEVER put MY life on it.

I agree we already have most of the pieces in place to run the Tampa 2.

Go Panthers

Thank god we won't make you stand up to that bet. I don't see us bringing in a D.C. with a philosophy to run a particular type of defense to change to a defense he might not be too familiar with.

Then again, you might have more inside info to this team that you aren't disclosing but I would NEVER put MY life on it.

I agree we already have most of the pieces in place to run the Tampa 2.

Go Panthers

Coordinators like meeks have run more than one style in their career. Meeks is very knowledgeable and can run a zone, man or hybrid system and likely can run a 4-3 or 3-4. They aren't so different concepts that a coach can only do one thing. Football is more about fundamentals and responsibilities on every play than it is about the scheme. it is about execution and being in a position to make a play. Diagnosing the offensive scheme and making good reads and reacting to the play. That is universal to football and something we didn't do well last year.

Archived