• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Latest ScapeGoat

twylyght

I've seen nothing but accountability and earnestness from Clausen in his post-game interviews and anywhere else for that matter. The fact that he continues to get up after every OLine breakdown should speak to his heart.

As for Smith and the Alpha male being intimidating... he needs to man up and be the leader or stfu and let those who will lead instead of complain take the reins. If my perception of him is right, I would have jerked his ass out of the game long ago.

I haven't seen that side of Clausen, although I haven't seen or heard all his post game stuff each week... But what I have seen/heard of him hasn't sounded like he's humbled, or that he even cares for that matter.

And no offense, but the fact that he gets up after hits says nothing about his heart, IT'S HIS JOB. Unless he wants to lose his job, he'll get back up. That's part of the job, if he doesn't do it, he can go ahead and retire. It's not special.

As far as Smitty, why would we get rid of a guy that can lead with his performance on the field and speaks his mind when most others tuck their tail and tow the company line... Not to mention the only guy currently on the roster that may become our first hall of famer. Get rid of him for Clausen's sake? That's laughable.

He needs to toughen up. If he wants Smitty off his back and wants support from teammates, he's gotta show he's a leader - through his play or whatever, and people will follow. There's a reason Smitty can do what he's doing, obviously, Clausen hasn't moved anyone enough to take a stand for him if Smitty is treating him so badly.

And Beason is a leader. He pulled Smitty off of Lucas and restrained him. I have a feeling that Clausen apologized to Beason as a last ditch effort to gain some credibility in the locker room because he knows he lost everyone on the offense, as far as believing in him. I think he was looking to kiss Beason's ass and hopefully win him over for the gesture because he's headed down a bad path - especially if everyone saw he and Smitty have it out on the sideline. I really don't think it's sincere, I think it was simply a gesture because he knows Beason is the only guy that can handle Smitty. Just a thought.

Smitty's not perfect, and I've had my problems with him, but he's not wrong here.

Franchise QBs make their teams better, crappy OL included. I just don't understand the need to stick up for him. He gets paid like everyone else, he's just not as good at his job. Regardless of how we feel, IF he is successful, it won't be here.

What is so hard about accepting that he has failed here. Who cares how it has happened, the experiment has failed.

I'd say you ignored every word in the original post.

Nobody is saying he's done well, we're simply saying that to lay all the blame at his feet is silly, and it kind of shows the immaturity of our fanbase.

No need to run a man through the mud for no reason.

Clausen isn't a <insert expletive of your choice here>

He's a human, and it's been a rough year on him and on the whole organization, as evidenced by the locker room struggles we're having.

Clausen, at this moment, doesn't look like the answer at the QB position. Could something happen? Maybe, but right now his future here doesn't look bright. But you either way you can't pin all the blame on him, the guy has done and said everything right since he showed up, and to make fun of the guy like we're all a bunch of middle schoolers picking on the new kid in school is stupid.

I'd say you ignored every word in the original post.

Nobody is saying he's done well, we're simply saying that to lay all the blame at his feet is silly, and it kind of shows the immaturity of our fanbase.

No need to run a man through the mud for no reason.

Clausen isn't a <insert expletive of your choice here>

He's a human, and it's been a rough year on him and on the whole organization, as evidenced by the locker room struggles we're having.

Clausen, at this moment, doesn't look like the answer at the QB position. Could something happen? Maybe, but right now his future here doesn't look bright. But you either way you can't pin all the blame on him, the guy has done and said everything right since he showed up, and to make fun of the guy like we're all a bunch of middle schoolers picking on the new kid in school is stupid.

I don't see it that way. I did read the original post (I think lol). Secondly, you don't know that he's not a <expletive of choice here>. And finally, I'm not saying we should lay all the blame at his feet, because there are a lot of problems with this team. But, it seems his apologists are trying so hard to hold onto the possibility that he's still a franchise guy that it takes away any credibility they have in putting the blame elsewhere.

It's frustrating. When you argue so hard that he's not the only problem, it comes off as "he's not the problem, period." This isn't directed towards you or anyone else in particular, just a blanket statement for the huddle. And I say it because this approach just perpetuates the argument on both sides.

Then someone like me gets agitated, because I don't feel there should be an argument... Yes, he's had a rough year. Everyone involved with the team has had a rough year. I pulled for him, but he has shown me time and time again that he isn't a starting NFL QB, and unless he improves EXPONENTIALLY over the summer, he will be nothing more than a career backup. But nothing we've seen suggests otherwise as of right now. That's where my frustration lies.

Again... NO, he shouldn't have all the blame place on him. But, he shouldn't have so much of it displaced off of him either.

My thought is this though. If we don't address these issues, why would we expect anything different next year?

Honestly, at this point, I would not be crushed to see Smith take his act to another team in the offseason. Like Delhomme and Peppers, I think this could be addition by subtraction. Then again, I think the right coaching staff would have taken care of this issue long ago. Perhaps a new cast of characters will provide some spark thought to be a lost cause.

we would expect it to be different simply because the situation overall will be better (you'd think) with a new HC, new OC (and with it a better game plan, playcalling, and blocking scheme), healthier oline with RG fixed, rookie WRs will have had a year under their belts. i have little reason to believe that the situation will be improved for whatever QB lines up behind center. next year's team won't be this years team. even if most of the personnel is the same, with a new coaching staff and a few changes made to the roster, the 2011 team will be as different from the 2010 team as the 2010 team was from the 2009 team, etc. probably moreso only in a positive direction.

imo, clausen wound up in a situation that was worse than carr's when he arrived. for both guys it probably would have been better for everyone had they not been thrown into a situation where they needed to start because neither were ready for the job and it may have had long term effects...esp. re: their relationship with carolina. whatever happened, happened and while it may suck as much for clausen as it did for carr, that doesn't mean that we need to be sticking with them. both had a chance to make a positive impact and didn't. it may not have been a fair chance, but it was still a chance and they couldn't take advantage of it. him getting a shot with another team would be best for both parties, imo, and the sooner, the better.

what you said about smith, though....i really do believe that he may be among the first to go when the new coach comes. many will look at how he's handled clausen so far and applaud him for it but whether he's right or not about what he says doesn't matter. can you look at what he's been doing and say it leads to camaraderie among teammates? new coaches are going to be looking for those guys who are good teammates to build around. those that aren't good teammates or who could be seen as detractors are usually gone soon. smith isn't exactly someone i could call a good teammate. good player, yes, but not a good teammate. he's turning more into a grumpy old man this year. that isn't really someone i want around while i'm trying to build a team with young guys. still, the only way i trade him is if the end result of the trade is us getting an upgrade at the position.

Our OL is horrible in pass protection. Blame it on personnel, coaching or whatever. There is a reason 2 QB's are on IR. However, David Carr with statistically the worst offensive line in NFL history played better. Clausen is playing horrible. I mean for the last 3 games I don't think we have had more than 15 yards total passing in the first half. That is not an inditement of his personality, or his family, or his sexual preference. It's not pinning all the blame on him to say that he sucks or rather his play has sucked.

Steve Smith has a legitimate beef calling our Clausen on his "apology" to Jon Beason. I mean especially if he hasn't talked to the offense first. If I'm on the Offense I would feel the same way. We are the same team but your apologizing to the Defense? As the offensive leader you shouldn't do that.

LOL, you guys are so fugin hypocritical it's ridiculous. All season you have been saying how awful the offense is and how its holding back the defense and when Clausen apologizes for it you roast him. The offense sucks, no doubt about it, get over it, its not Clausen, its not the OLine, its not the Running Backs, its the playcalling. What QB have we had this year have we had that has been able to succeed with our play calling? Oh thats right, that one game against San Fran when Matt Moore just lobbed it every down to Gettis for the lucky win. Get over your self idiots. Clausen is a fugin rookie that needs two more years to be productive. We'll get a 2nd round pick for him when we trade him yea, but don't be surprised when he plays good for another team you fine young males.

I'm just so pissed no one uses logic on this forum anymore even when we have been eliminated from playoffs and there is no reason to be upset after a loss.

I think Smitty is too tight with JR to be let go. Smitty is our Tom Brady.

But he shouldn't be. Peppers should have been IMO. JR and the coaching staff obviously killed the relationship with him. You don't let one of the most athletic guys in the league walk like that, especially a homegrown guy. That in itself should tell you that there is something fishy going on with the coaching/mgmt..

Hidden

Our OL is horrible in pass protection. Blame it on personnel, coaching or whatever. There is a reason 2 QB's are on IR. However, David Carr with statistically the worst offensive line in NFL history played better. Clausen is playing horrible. I mean for the last 3 games I don't think we have had more than 15 yards total passing in the first half. That is not an inditement of his personality, or his family, or his sexual preference. It's not pinning all the blame on him to say that he sucks or rather his play has sucked.

Steve Smith has a legitimate beef calling our Clausen on his "apology" to Jon Beason. I mean especially if he hasn't talked to the offense first. If I'm on the Offense I would feel the same way. We are the same team but your apologizing to the Defense? As the offensive leader you shouldn't do that.

Our OL looks horrible in pass protection because of our QBs. We started the season with a stable of very inexperienced QBs. Opposing Ds adopted the philosophy to blitz on every passing situation to force quick decisions. Without the instincts that experience brings, this created error likely situations on the part of the QB. It worked for the Ds.

We're looking at an entirely different staff though.

Let's say you're a team official, and you come to the realization that Clausen's issues are more the team's fault than his.

Do you try to fix him, or do you cut bait?

Keep in mind, it's your job in this role to build the best team more so than it is to look after individual players.

I understand completely what you're saying, and I agree. I don't want to go through what Houston went through. The point of that statement is that isn't the only history we are doomed to repeat if we don't address the other matters first. I think the best we can hope to get for Clausen now is trade bait unless the new coaching staff can work a miracle.

It's frustrating. When you argue so hard that he's not the only problem, it comes off as "he's not the problem, period." This isn't directed towards you or anyone else in particular, just a blanket statement for the huddle. And I say it because this approach just perpetuates the argument on both sides.

Again... NO, he shouldn't have all the blame place on him. But, he shouldn't have so much of it displaced off of him either.

The reason I started this thread is because of all the threads that I saw at a glance when I looked at the boards tonight:

Clausen not part of the team... (multipage.gif1 2) Smith wanted Clausen to apologize to the guys in the huddle

It's time Panthers snap ball to Armanti

Jimmy Chicken sh*t Clausen (multipage.gif1 2)

Article on Jimmy Clausen

John Fox Embarrassed? Not a Fan of Clausen?

Lets end the discussion, it doesnt matter that the OL sucks, JIMMY IS GARBAGE

When the hell is armanti starting (multipage.gif1 2)

Anyone Still Want to Defend Clausen? (multipage.gif1 2 3 ... Last Page)

And in all of that, I only saw that quick mention about the OLine, and absolutely NOTHING pejorative about Smith and his antics. All the while, there is the sticky atop the board about getting Luck with the subtle implication that we wouldn't be in this situation if he were QBing.

I'm not dismissing Clausen's poor decision-making, low-trajectory passes, nor his skittish feet any more than I am his high velocity passes, actually decently strong arm, flashes of ability. The aim of this thread was to bring to light of how the current blow up of blaming Clausen will do little to help our chances in the future with how badly our line is performing and possibly how veteran leadership is handling rookie QBs in the huddle.

Archived