• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Like it or not, Clausen isnt the reason.

chknwing

Our O-line sucks. Put Brady or Manning behind them, and they will turn into Jake. Clausen doesn't stand a chance. Everybody forgets that he wasn't even really supposed to be starting this year, so what do you really expect? Yes, Matt Moore sucked, but he would probably still be taking snaps if our amazing disappearing O-line hadn't contributed to his injury.

Offer all the excuses, observations, and football philosophy that you want, but we haven't had any semblance of stable QB play this year, and the common denominator is piss poor play from the O-line.

Here is my take:

Rookie QB

Rookie WRs

OLine with 3 players who have started less than a seasons worth of games

No surprise Moore struggled as well, he was dealing with rookie WRs and an OLine that average 2 seasons in the NFL.

No surprised Clausen has struggled more, as he has not had 3 seasons and 3 training camps like Moore has.

Unfortunately the way the season has gone, Clausen has taken most of the flak and most of the criticism, when in actuality none of the QBs on our roster had the experience to thrive in this situation. Moore is proof that this season has brought the worst out of our QB play, so it's not unlikely that Clausen could have progressed from this season.

The biggest mistake Fox and co was bench Moore early. Sit him for his concussion, sure, but do not bench him because of two poor games. Yanking both QBs at times this season completely loses the QBs ability to be 'the leader' as it shows the coaching staff does not have faith in your abilities, which I turn makes it hard for the team as a whole to buy into you.

Clausen is not THE reason. He is part of a big reason, which is a poorly constructed offense in virtually every facet. Play calling, skill, experience. None of it is there. Our coaching staff had made sure that it was almost impossible for the QBs on or roster, believe it or not there are plays that can be called which will negate lack of experience.

If I were Fox, I would sit Jimmy down and say, "Look, forget about making mistakes in the games, forget about next season and forget about what has happened prior. Just go out and try to win a football game." I personally think the 'shackles need to be taken off and he needs to realise that sometimes a QB will makes mistakes, especially as a rookie. However we need to see him go out and have fun and try some things. Up till now he has been playing in fear of being benched and thus trying not to make mistakes.

Oh and there is no need to ship him out this off-season. Let him sit or enter next camp as starter, get some pre-season in him and see if he can raise his draft stock. The guy is cheap and can easily sit in third on the depth chart. At the end of the day he was supposed to have potential, why give up on him when there is no need to? The guy is cheap as chips and under contract for four years. If he can get 2-3 quality pre-seasons under his belt then there will be teams calling.

Here is my take:

Rookie QB

Rookie WRs

No surprise Moore struggled as well, he was dealing with rookie WRs and an OLine that average 2 seasons in the NFL.

No surprised Clausen has struggled more, as he has not had 3 seasons and 3 training camps like Moore has.

Unfortunately the way the season has gone, Clausen has taken most of the flak and most of the criticism, when in actuality none of the QBs on our roster had the experience to thrive in this situation. Moore is proof that this season has brought the worst out of our QB play, so it's not unlikely that Clausen could have progressed from this season.

The biggest mistake Fox and co was bench Moore early. Sit him for his concussion, sure, but do not bench him because of two poor games. Yanking both QBs at times this season completely loses the QBs ability to be 'the leader' as it shows the coaching staff does not have faith in your abilities, which I turn makes it hard for the team as a whole to buy into you.

Clausen is not THE reason. He is part of a big reason, which is a poorly constructed offense in virtually every facet. Play calling, skill, experience. None of it is there. Our coaching staff had made sure that it was almost impossible for the QBs on or roster, believe it or not there are plays that can be called which will negate lack of experience.

If I were Fox, I would sit Jimmy down and say, "Look, forget about making mistakes in the games, forget about next season and forget about what has happened prior. Just go out and try to win a football game." I personally think the 'shackles need to be taken off and he needs to realise that sometimes a QB will makes mistakes, especially as a rookie. However we need to see him go out and have fun and try some things. Up till now he has been playing in fear of being smashed by the opposition and buried in the gridiron of BOA, being concussed, and/or otherwise injured due to a vanilla O-line.

Oh and there is no need to ship him out this off-season. Let him sit or enter next camp as starter, get some pre-season in him and see if he can raise his draft stock. The guy is cheap and can easily sit in third on the depth chart. At the end of the day he was supposed to have potential, why give up on him when there is no need to? The guy is cheap as chips and under contract for four years. If he can get 2-3 quality pre-seasons under his belt then there will be teams calling.

Fixed! Now I can agree with your take

Here is my take:

Rookie QB

Rookie WRs

If I were Fox, I would sit Jimmy down and say, "Look, forget about making mistakes in the games, forget about next season and forget about what has happened prior. Just go out and try to win a football game." I personally think the 'shackles need to be taken off and he needs to realise that sometimes a QB will makes mistakes, especially as a rookie. However we need to see him go out and have fun and try some things. Up till now he has been playing in fear of being benched and thus trying not to make mistakes.

Ryan Leaf was supposed to have potential too. Even in the toughest of situations Clausen could have shown something. How about throwing a touchdown pass? I mean yeah the guy is a rookie but it's not like he's never played football before. Right now he looks like a Pop Warner rookie. He should be able to do better than that. He's played football for 20 years.

Our O-line sucks. Put Brady or Manning behind them, and they will turn into Jake. Clausen doesn't stand a chance. Everybody forgets that he wasn't even really supposed to be starting this year, so what do you really expect? Yes, Matt Moore sucked, but he would probably still be taking snaps if our amazing disappearing O-line hadn't contributed to his injury.

Offer all the excuses, observations, and football philosophy that you want, but we haven't had any semblance of stable QB play this year, and the common denominator is piss poor play from the O-line.

well, that simply isn't true. The Colts OL is worse than Carolinas. Did you watch the MNF game and Matt Schaub?? Did you notice how quick pressure got to him? That is the exact type of pressure Clausen sees and tons of NFL QBs see every week. Clausen doesn't know what to do.......and the play ends one way or another. Schuab made throw after throw downfield with it b/c he knows a QB has a big role in that. He moves up, avoids pressure, scrambles at the right time and makes quick throws.

I dont think anyone in their right mind is blaming him totally for this miserible year but it is obvious he does not have the confidense of his teammates.

To me he is a medicore qb just like Matt Moore and Jake coupled with an OL that is playing poorly. I feel badly for him but I do not think he is the QB of the future.

I think JR should take the blame this year.

hahah, I wonder who Mel would rate higher between Jimmy, Ryan Leaf, and Jemarcus Russell? No money involved...

Jamarcus would be first no doubt. He actually showed some potential his rookie year when he got to play, actually played well to be honest. That was after he had no camp and sat out a few games. Leaf and Clausen are a toss up. I think Leaf has more physical tools but is a little crazier. Numbers are pretty similar so who cares.

I dont think anyone in their right mind is blaming him totally for this miserible year but it is obvious he does not have the confidense of his teammates.

To me he is a medicore qb just like Matt Moore and Jake coupled with an OL that is playing poorly. I feel badly for him but I do not think he is the QB of the future.

I think JR should take the blame this year.

Matt Moore and Jake are far better overall QBs than Clausen currently. Both of them suck.

Archived