• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mr. Scot Question

philp

I actually think we will have the new head coach within a week of firing Fox. Will either be Grimm or Riveria. Short list of interviewers that will take til Thursday and the coach will be hired friday. My money is on Grimm, a move that will truly piss off the Panther nation and doom the franchise. Will also want to have a coach in place so Luck will know not to commit because the Panthers didn't even look at Harbaugh and are determined to suck for the long term.

fixed :eek:

Why all the hate on Grimm? Oh not a big name for yall?

Personally, it is more the fact he has never been higher than a Offensive line coach. He did a fine job shoring up the Cardinals line in 2008 but alot of that was also Kurt Warner. I'm just leery he isnt qualified enough for HC. If he'd been suceessful as an OC for awhile, I'd have less worry.

Why all the hate on Grimm? Oh not a big name for yall?

Grimm is an oline and rb coach on a team with a horrible line and a terrible running game.

Grimm has never made it to coordinator status.

Grimm's only real positive, other than looking like he could beat your ass without leaving his chair, is that he might talk to Gibbs sometimes.

Adam Schefter just tweeted that Mike Lombardi had a two hour interview for the GM job for the 49ers. Then I read this on ESPN Indsider:

But before they start that search, the team is going to hire a new general manager to help with the process, according to ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando, and will consult with former owner Eddie DeBartolo, Jr. on the decision. Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area passes along a list of candidates: Ex-Denver Broncos GM Ted Sundquist, ex-Buffalo Bills GM Tom Donahoe and ex-New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins execs Randy and Rick Mueller. Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News adds Lombardi (former NFL exec now working for the NFL Network), Atlanta Falcons personnel exec Les Snead and George Kokinis, a personnel exec with the Baltimore Ravens. Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network adds Floyd Reese -- former Tennessee Titans GM and current New England Patriots consultant -- to the list.

The decision on a GM will have a great impact on which head coach will come take over, as the relationship between the two men will be vital to building the franchise. Kawakami notes that Harbaugh has a relationship with Lombardi, and this could swing the pendulum in his direction.

The two big names to keep in mind, in Sando's view, are Jon Gruden and Mike Holmgren, though both appear to be happy in their current digs. Both men have experience coaching MVP QBs -- massive work is needed at the position for the Niners -- and both have ties to the Bay Area, including Holmgren's work with the Niners from 1986 to 1991 (we seem to remember they were pretty good back then).

- Tim Kavanagh

This could seriously affect our chances of getting Harbaugh, even we even have a chance of getting him in the first place...

I'm no more an expert than anyone else, but I'll answer what I think.

I'd agree it won't take long. Pretty good chance the background research is already done. And if they want to focus on names like Harbaugh and Grimm, the playoff scenarios don't apply (the NFL now allows a small window within the playoffs anyway).

Add in that they're generally not much for browsing and I think Gantt's right. It'll be relatively quick.

Archived