• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Lesson From the Jets and Colts Game

CharlotteBeer.com

A team with a good run game and solid defense just knocked off a team with perhaps the best quarterback of this generation.

Just sayin' -- it's not all about the quarterback.

injury has been a HUGE issue in Indy this year. Both sides of the ball.......and they were still in the playoffs only b/c of ONE man. Peyton Manning. Indy is a 2-6 win team w/o Manning.

You do realize a 7-9 team just beat Brees and the defending Super Bowl champions, right?

For anyone who didn't understand the point of this post: all I'm saying is that, contrary to popular belief, you can win in this league without an elite quarterback.

but you are making more work for yourself and are severaly handicapped and limited with what you can do.

if your defense has a meltdown and/or you go down by a TD or two....a run game ain't going to help you much. you need to be able to get down the field in a hurry. for that, you need a good QB.

also, shootouts are going to happen and the rule changes that have come about in recent years protecting the QB and WR have all but ensured that happening. you have to have a QB that can keep you in those games.

you can't do it with a passing game alone (unless you are the pats), but you do have to have one that can keep you competitive. you can't skimp on it like fox did for so long.

Obviously, I'm like you guys in that I want an elite quarterback after going our entire history without one. The only thing I'm hoping to show in this thread is that you can get by without one. Really, there are only two or three elite quarterbacks in this league, anyways.

If I had my pick, we'd be drafting Luck in a couple months. But since that's not happening and I just don't see any of the other quarterbacks as elite, I'm trying to look at the bright side -- that we can do well in this league by playing Foxball, albeit with an effective if not elite quarterback.

Paetoon manng lost bcuse he advocates Qb's staing in skul two git ter digrie instad uv living skul erly to go to da NFL.

If nuting elz dis yeer toughgt us dat plaerz like Lafell were ok even thuooh theie can't spell on twiter

The Colts are notorious for having terrible run D. Poor tackling in this one as well. Sanchez sucked. The run game won for the Jets. The Colts don't have a consistent run game. Can't control the ball as easily due to that.

Nope, nothing new here. Peyton did all he could. But with that run D and the inability to run consistently, you cannot win in this league on a consistent basis, and especially in the playoffs.

You guys are acting like the Jets didn't even start a QB that game, or that Sanchez isn't regarded by that team as it's leader and it's future. He sucked all game and he was still able to take them down the field and put em in position for a FG. However, they needed him to make some damn nice plays down to the wire in games to get them where they are.

If your argument is that you don't need to win the game by tossing TDs out of 5 WR sets or something, you're right. If you're trying to argue that quarterback isn't an important position, you're just wrong.

The Jets played to their strength and the Colts' weakness, but they needed more than just running backs to win the game in the end.

Peyton lost 13 games his first year.

Dirty Sanchez won 2 Playoff games his first year.

Sanchez's 1st year he had the best defense in the league, the best run game in the league, and he had to pass the ball the least amount of times out of all the starting QBs in the league.

Now I'm no expert but that may have had something to do with it.

Sanchez's 1st year he had the best defense in the league, the best run game in the league, and he had to pass the ball the least amount of times out of all the starting QBs in the league.

he did pretty well in the playoffs tbh, so yes he obviously benefited hugely from those things but he also helped the team out quite a bit. (41/68 for 539 yards, 4 tds and 2 ints for a QB rating of 92.7).

A huge portion of this due to outstanding coaching. The more you say Sanchez sucks, the better job Schotty did dominating with the run with a pair of running backs that can't hold DWill or Stew's jock.

Archived