• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cassel officially franchised

Mr. Scot

I am not sure if there is an easy way to trade one franchised player for another. Basically it would have to be a round table negotiation between both teams GM's and the players agents as they all try to work out draft pick compenation and contract compensation all at the same time with all four partys in full agreement at an exact point in time.

I don't think it has ever been done

The dream is over.

Sorry to all of you pining (that means a feeling of deep longing to you uneducated types) for the one year wonder that was matt cassel.

pats just franchised him. $14mil for one year's work.

As Expected, Patriots Franchise Cassel

As we first reported here at the National Football Post, the New England Patriots have placed their 2009 franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel.

From Patriots.com:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots announced today that they have utilized their 2009 franchise designation on quarterback Matt Cassel. He becomes the first offensive player and just the fourth Patriot to be franchised by the team, joining Adam Vinatieri (2002 and 2005), Tebucky Jones (2003) and Asante Samuel (2007).

“Matt has been a pleasure to coach his entire career and last season in particular, when his years of hard work and commitment resulted in a most impressive performance,” said Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick. “We look forward to working with Matt again in 2009.”

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/as-expected-patriots-franchise-cassel/

Brady's salary is 5 million and with a 3 million roster bonus will still make 40% less than Cassel. I wonder how he feels making less than a player who has only had one good year and still failed to lead them into the playoffs.

With Brady's additional signing bonus cap hit, between Brady and Cassel, almost 1/4 of their total 123 million cap will be used up by 2 players (28.6 million). Hard to believe they could afford two 14 million dollar cap hits. I gotta believe they are going to trade Cassel if Brady is ready to play.

Brady's salary is 5 million and with a 3 million roster bonus will still make 40% less than Cassel. I wonder how he feels making less than a player who has only had one good year and still failed to lead them into the playoffs.

With Brady's additional signing bonus cap hit, between Brady and Cassel, almost 1/4 of their total 123 million cap will be used up by 2 players (28.6 million). Hard to believe they could afford two 14 million dollar cap hits. I gotta believe they are going to trade Cassel if Brady is ready to play.

That's the conventional wisdom. And it sure as heck isn't going to be to us.

Won't be to the Broncos either. There's the McDaniels connection but they have Cutler. The Chiefs make sense. Lions probably make the most sense. You could make an argument for the Raiders but I doubt a Cassel-Asomugha swap works unless the Raiders are complete idiots.

Oh wait... :rolleyes:

That's the conventional wisdom. And it sure as heck isn't going to be to us.

Won't be to the Broncos either. There's the McDaniels connection but they have Cutler. The Chiefs make sense. Lions probably make the most sense. You could make an argument for the Raiders but I doubt a Cassel-Asomugha swap works unless the Raiders are complete idiots.

Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Didn't Oakland give Russell a monster rookie contract? Then they'd be in the same boat with NE having 2 high paid QBs.

Archived