• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Most Sure Thing?

unicar15

Who is the safest pick in the draft at #1?

AJ Green. He's the most talented WR to come out since Calvin Johnson and I think its safe to say that CJ has made bad QBs look good and mediocre QBs look very good. AJ Green IMO is going to have the same type of effect for a team. He would, IMO, do as much or more for our team as Nick Fairley. When you look back on this draft you will say that Patrick Peterson and AJ Green were the two best players in this draft. Unfortunately there is no way we take either because of our draft position and percevied "value."

There's no such thing as a sure thing. Players flop (jarrett), get injured (morgan), or go crazy (young). Really, it's fun to speculate, analyze, and argue (there's really nothing else to do regarding football this time of year) but really its down to what the GM's, coaches, and owners decide is best for the team. We know Hurney and his traits, as well as JR. But Rivera throws a whole new variable into the equation and there's no telling what his strategy and dreams may bring to the table. We also have an OC who's never been in this position and a new DC with his own ideas putting in his two cents. So, we can keep dreaming, guessing, arguing and speculating but in the end none of us have any idea what the draft may bring for the New Carolina Panthers except those guys in the war room on draft day. One things for sure, they ain't leaking nothing. Another thing that's for sure, there ain't no sure thing.

I support taking Green, but every day my hope of that is diminishing. I am feeling more and more like we're taking Newton, which I won't have a huge problem with (especially if we're able to trade down and do it), I just would feel much better (for at least a few months) if we took Green. I don't see us taking Fairley and especially not Bowers.

We are not taking Newton. Here is another tidbit. He will amaze at the combine. He will probably go to Buffalo, Cincinnati, or Arizona. Cincinnati or Arizona my favorites for a trade. If we do not have a rookie pay scale, Cam and his dad will want to be paid Bradford $$. $50 million guaranteed for a high risk, boom or bust?

We will try to shop the pick. I would think a team like Miami or Washington will try to trade up--Miami has no second rounder, so look for a deal with Washington as a longshot. Arizona is DESPERATE for a QB. If they like Newton, moving up from #5 would not cost much more than their second and third rounders.

I do not see us drafting QB again with so much wrong with the franchise last season. I think Smith is as good as gone, and we will have a need at WR. There are NO #1 WRs in free agency that aren't old or overhyped. Most will be re-signed by their teams. Green should be there if we trade with Cincinnati. Yes, the need WR too, but if they want the #1 pick, it is to leapfrog Buffalo or anyone who might deal with Denver for the pick for a QB.

The only problem is that WR is one of the few positions that you can get really good value in later rounds. Unlike QB where there is a very steep drop off in success rate after the first round.

Green is good enough to play #1 WR as a rookie. The draft is not full of WRs who are ready to play #1 WR NOW. Green is it, maybe Jones.

Green is 6'4" tall weighs 215 lbs., and runs a 4.45 or so. He catches EVERYTHING that touches his hands. Smith will probably beg for a trade or remain and become a cancer, IMO. Green makes the QB better-whoever it is. With a more experienced Gettis and Lafell stepping up, more involvement from improvements at TE, our offense improves dramatically. Everyone should know by now that the best thing to do is to give your QB weapons.

The new offense involves more pre snap reading. Our old offense was designed with Jake at QB and caused Moore, who had been in it for 2 years, to struggle. Jake had chemistry with SS and Moose, so he succeeded until Scherer got here and got cute. It involved reading coverages and routes in progress. Throw in a rookie QB, rookie WRs, scrub linemen, and you have disaster.

A healthy line, stud WRs, Seam busting TEs, a healthy running game, etc. will make everyone think, "How did Clausen improve that much in a year?"

I see our pick this way (Feb 17):

Fairley 25%

Green 25%

Trade down 15%

Bowers 15%

Peterson 15%

Newton 5%

There are no sure things in the NFL draft. No one knows how people will respond not only to the money but the added pressure of being the number one pick.

This being our 1st #1 pick in history, factoring in Hurney's past drafts, looking at team needs, the QB situation(Clausen, Moore, Pike..?), the ? at offensive line (Kalil is a FA, Otah is ?, lack of an interior presence especially when you see it's likely none of the big name FA will actually hit the open market, and the fact that we have young talent that improved during the year at WR, there is no way we are drafting AJ Green with the 1st overall pick. No way.

Archived