• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kalil is first proof that Jerry will not be cheap after lockout.

thunderraiden

All around the globe, people have been bagging on Jerry Richardson this year for being cheap owner since he was preparing for a lockout. I and a few others knew that he had a track record of spending big bucks to win, and so what if he learned through trial and error you get more from mediocre free agents at modest prices then big name free agents at blockbuster prices.

Well, here is the first evidence, and probably more telling than anything else we will see even for the rest of the offseason. Jerry will be willing to pay after the CBA talks are concluded based on the fact that he is one of about the ONLY owner that allowed the franchise tag to be used on a center. Granted of the three Kalil was the most pressing, and most necessary. I don't feel like searching right now, but I'm sure this is one of the few times in league history the franchise tag has been used on an offensive lineman that wasn't a tackle. The reason? Because it costs the same amount of money to franchise a center or guard as it does to franchise tag the best left offensive tackle. Remember, left tackles get paid loads of money to protect the QB's blindside.

The fact that Jerry greenlighted such an unusual move indicates his desire to fund a winning product on the field regardless of NFL norms or opposing opinions.

Franchising Kalil doesn't prove he will pay a ton of money after the CBA. Richardson and Hurney have every intention to sign Kalil longterm at a significant discount to the franchise tag. They used it because they have no credible center to replace the 2 time probowler and feared someone else would snap him up if they didn't franchise him. Lets see if Richardson is willing to spend the 100 million it will take to sew up everyone of the core group. If they sign Beason to a long term extension this year, it will tell me a lot more than franchising Kalil.

I tend to agree, Kalil getting the tag could mean this. As others above have mentioned, we best lock up guys like CJ and Anderson. I think we have watched our last game with DeAngelo in a Panthers jersey :( not sure their plans for Richard Marshall.

Only big FA signing I could see at this point is a TE like Zach Miller, Owen Daniels, or Marcedes Lewis. Any of those three could have a big impact next season.

Paying a center 10 million dollars for one season is not cheap, no matter how you slice it.

It's not fair to say that JR is cheap because we won't be signing top FA's on the market since the Panthers have already declared that we intend to build through the draft, because that's the only sustainable model with a salary cap.

The Steelers and Packers don't sign top FA's either, does that make them cheap?

Just think if we can't get a guy like Rudolph in the draft than we better make a play for Miller/Lewis/Daniels.

Rivera has stressed the importance of an Antonio Gates prototype TE and we have the kids coach on our staff now. Then again, Gates was a project to say the least and turned out to be an All-Pro. Scouting could pull of a gem or we better hope Rosario/Barnidge are ready to step up.

I'd rather release Richard Marshall. We need a REAL tackler. Who's the current CB FAs?

Here is a good list of FA Corners.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011CB.php

The top 3 are Nnamdi Asomugha OAK, Jonathan Joseph CIN, and Champ but he's off the list now its Brandon Carr of KC.

Also I believe this whole CBA thing contributed to 99% of all offseason moves (or lack there of) last year. Once it get resolved I think we'll be on the road back to the playoffs.

Here is a good list of FA Corners.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011CB.php

The top 3 are Nnamdi Asomugha OAK, Jonathan Joseph CIN, and Champ but he's off the list now its Brandon Carr of KC.

Also I believe this whole CBA thing contributed to 99% of all offseason moves (or lack there of) last year. Once it get resolved I think we'll be on the road back to the playoffs.

Brandon Carr or Johnathan Joseph would be great.

Archived