• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eric Weddle?

Stroupe-a-loop

Weddle is the free safety for the Chargers and has started the last three years. He is considered to be one of the best safeties in the league against the run and above average versus the pass. He is set to be a free agent and has yet, to my knowledge, to be tagged or re-signed.

I bring him up because coaches, especially on defense, normally bring in a couple guys who have played for them before to help them with terminology, or with the implementation of their system. I don't know how necessary that will be with Rivera here because he won't be running the 3-4 that he ran in San Diego. I do think Rivera will consider him if he's available because he is well aware of how good Weddle. I think he could be a really good pickup for us. I like Godfrey and Martin, but I feel like Weddle would be an upgrade over either and may not be a guy that requires an immense contract. Thoughts?

Weddle is the free safety for the Chargers and has started the last three years. He is considered to be one of the best safeties in the league against the run and above average versus the pass. He is set to be a free agent and has yet, to my knowledge, to be tagged or re-signed.

I bring him up because coaches, especially on defense, normally bring in a couple guys who have played for them before to help them with terminology, or with the implementation of their system. I don't know how necessary that will be with Rivera here because he won't be running the 3-4 that he ran in San Diego. I do think Rivera will consider him if he's available because he is well aware of how good Weddle. I think he could be a really good pickup for us. I like Godfrey and Martin, but I feel like Weddle would be an upgrade over either and may not be a guy that requires an immense contract. Thoughts?

It would be a solid acquisition. Godfrey is still a question mark in my eyes and it actually seems like a Pantheresque off season pick up. I wouldn't mind at all seeing us make a run at him.

Overall, I'm expecting at least one major FA move for us that is an impact starter, preferably under 26-27.

We don't really need an upgrade at safety. We need another corner so although he is a good player, I would pass.

The only way I could see it happening is if Rivera & co. decided to move Martin back to CB. After all, that's the position he was originally drafted to play, and prior to the draft, many analysts felt he was a good fit at CB. He had really barely started to transition to CB (played only 1 or 2 pre-season games at CB) when we had a rash of injuries at Safety, which forced him to move back in order to give the team a body at the position (after they had experimented with Wesley there first, which failed)...and he promptly got hurt in his first pre-season game at Safety, forcing him to miss quite a bit of time.

Now, to be honest, I don't know how well Martin would do at CB, or if he would even fit Rivera's/McDermott's system. But if they do believe he can be a solid corner, I could definitely see them bringing in a Safety that they feel would upgrade our defense rather than bringing someone in to replace Marshall.

Archived