• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lockout and the 2012 Draft

Stumpy

Despite the fact that the season is still 6 months away, people are already asking how a season without football would/should affect what we do in this years draft.

Let me be clear and say that I don't think it will get to this point. However, if there is no 2011 season, and if the reports are accurate that the 2012 draft order will be based on the past 3 years W-L records, then the 2012 draft order would be as follows...

b4dk6b.jpg

*2008 Tie game = tiebreaker

What reports are talking about this formula? This is the first I've heard of this idea.

I've seen them quoted in other threads, and to a lesser extent, ESPN has touched on the subject as well. I was, previously, under the assumption that it would remain the same. This three year thing keeps coming up, and honestly it does seem more likely as it would be more fair to the rest of the league.

Edit: Quick search and I couldn't find anything definitive, but I have heard it discussed on 99.9FM in Raleigh and Sirius NFL Radio a couple times.

A lot changes in 3 years. The Panthers are a prime example of that. Not sure it'd be fair to take in consideration the past years unless they weighted them somehow with more importance on games played recently.

you can read the current CBA this clause is supposedly in here

http://nfllabor.com/current-cba/

I can't find anything that stats this formula under this scenario. There is a clause that terminates the Draft rules if the CBA is terminated for the following season.

My guess is the new CBA agreed to before the 2012 draft would touch on draft order if no 2011 season to determine.

Time of Draft: There shall be an Annual Selection Meeting (the “College Draft” or “Draft”) each League Year during the term of this Agree- ment and in the League Year immediately following the expiration or ter- mination of this Agreement, with respect to which the following rules shall apply:

Effective Date/Expiration Date: Except as provided in Section 3 below, this Agreement shall be effective from March 8, 2006 until the last day of the 2012 League Year, except for the provisions relating to the Draft, Article XVI (College Draft), which shall expire in the League Year immedi- ately following the expiration or termination of this Agreement.

There is nothing in the CBA contemplating the 2012 draft. Panthers do not automatically get the first pick nor is there any formula for determining who does.

The owners can get together and create new rules for the 2012 draft but that would probably violate antitrust laws if the NFLPA decertification is held to be valid. If the courts extend the CBA may be the situation in which the draft order remains but this isn't clear.

If there is no draft then all players leaving college will be Free Agents.

Archived