• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton: Risk vs Reward.

Awesomeness!!

You do know Joyner isn't exactly a big Newton booster, right?

With regard to Barkley, he might be good, but USC quarterbacks make me nervous.

(not quite as much with Carroll gone, but still)

You do know our coaching change alone can add 4-5 wins to our record. We won't be picking Luck or Barkley next season. If we do then whoever we picked instead of Cam or Gabbert wasn't worth the pick either.

all that article goes to show is there could be more options for QB next year.

KC Joyner wouldn't touch Cam Newton in the first round at all, either.

My personal felling on KC Joyner is that he is full of sh*t about this and Cam. He is a contrarian who always says things that no one else is saying to try to make himself feel smart. If he is a scientist get off of ESPN and get in a lab somewhere.

The point though wasn't whether I agreed with him or valued his opinion it was that he is now saying that Luck may not even be the best QB in his conference. That would mean that if he isn't the best QB in his conference then you can't claim Luck was a consensus number 1 QB in the draft.

Consensus mean everyone agrees. Joyner doesn't even though he is full of crap ;)

Consensus means majority, Unanimous means everyone.

Kinda like it is a consensus that Cam Newton has the ability to be a big time NFL QB with astronomical upside.

But you are correct I misused the term consensus and I apologize. :(

The Panthers dont win consistently and our owner is frugal. Its gonna take a Cam Newton to get people caring about us again. Cam is the safest pick and quickest fix for our franchise.

What if we picked the one of the better players in this draft and next year scoop up your boy Pryor in lets say the 2nd round. Might you be happy then?

Reward: A potential Super Star QB that would attract attention to this cit for the first time since.....well ever. There would not be an empty seat in Bank of America, people would finally be talking about the Carolina Panthers, and thats before he steps on the field. Then, once the CBA is settled, and Cam finally plays, he has the potential to become the next Mike Vick. Excitement, fun, and a winner most importantly. He would be here for the next 10 years, getting this team on the map, hopefully winning championships along the way.

Risk:He bust out and after 2 or 3 years we release him and look for another QB.

If that turns Carolina Panther fans into Atlanta Vick fans, I'd say it's hardly worth it.

Again, way to end your terrific post. Another burger flipper with nothing to lose says take a risk, gotta love it.

all that article goes to show is there could be more options for QB next year.

KC Joyner wouldn't touch Cam Newton in the first round at all, either.

There is one thing that I have a problem with on the "there will be more options next year" That means you are hoping we are still picking in the top 5 next year. What happens if we are picking 11th. If Gabbert and Newton are good enough to be picked in the top 10 how in the world are these guys that are "so much better than these two" even going to make it far enough down that it even matters for us?? They will all be gone by the end of the top 5 if they are really that much better!!!

What happens if we are picking 10th and all these guys that we are talking about are gone in the top 10??

Wait till 2012?? Then we pick 10 again?? Wait until 2013?? Then we pick ten again?? Wait until 2014??

I know some of you guys think that people are reaching for a QB this year but I know for a fact (because I heard it straight from the horses mouth) that some NFL scouts had Cam Newton as the likely number one pick if Andrew Luck decided to go back to school.

This came directly from an NFL QB Coach that said that the Panthers should get Luck or Newton #1. This was before Luck went back to school. And he didn't only say Luck at that point. He said Luck or Newton as if both were viable options.

BTW this QB coach has developed a franchise QB and knows his business about QBs.

So kicking the can down the road has a great risk involved in that we will be constantly settling for the guys with lesser ability. Or the leftovers. You will no longer control your own destiny on who you want your QB to be. You will have to settle for who is available.

That to me is a scarier proposition than hoping for a miracle or another top 5 pick to get a franchise guy.

Edit: Actually the guy developed two of the best QBs in the NFL right now not just one.

Sometimes you have to nut up or shut up...it's time for the Carolina Panthers to take a chance on the possibility of being great.

If we trade down then yeah, I'm on board with going the safe route and filling holes but if we stay at number 1 it has to be Newton.

A skit by MHS

Huggers: We want Clausen ousted. He is a bum. He has no future.

NFL Experts and coaches: It takes most QBs time to adjust. Clausen was playing too soon under the worst conditions.

Huggers: Waaa. We want Newton because he rushed for 1400 yards and won a title and a trophy.

NFL Experts and coaches: Too soon to write off Clausen and Newton would require a lot of time to get ready.

Huggers: That is OK. We know he will need a year or so. We are patient.

Exit Huggers. NFL experts scratch heads. One vomits because the encounter just made him dumber.

Archived