• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question for Newton dislikers and also for Newton lovers

Brokenbad

For dislikers:

If you strongly disliked Cam Newton and he was drafted with heavy inluence by Ron Rivera, would it change your perception of our new head coach? Would you automatically label him a bonehead?

For Cam lovers:

If Cam Newton was not drafted with heavy influence by Ron Rivera, would you consider him a dumbass?

I would hope that Hurney would have the final say on our draft pick, not Rivera. But, I would hold my reservations on the subject until I see him play some football. I am a guy who thinks we need a QB.. I am more of a Gabbert fan, but Newton is my 2nd choice. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but I feel that Hurney is a horrible at drafting QBs.. whoever he 'feels' is the right guy, he should do the opposite.

If Cam Newton was not drafted with heavy influence by Ron Rivera, would you consider him a dumbass?

Not really. Drafting isn't really the coaches job. He has influence though. The Panthers don't usually screw up the draft (with the exceptions of the dumbass trades we make) so I would probably just trust our F.O. They know more than we do..

I dont know if I would say bonehead. But I would be really disappointed in him. I was expecting the same kind of players to be drafted (the usual high character, no off the field issues, role models) just that our coaching would get better and we would have a more interesting playbook. During his first press conference he just seemed like the guy that wouldnt put up with anyone being out of line, and here comes Cam Newton to be an Icon and entertainer :(

If we don't take Cam it won't change my opinion on anyone. Even if Cam goes to Buffalo and does great.

We have to make a decision that is best for the future of our franchise. I personally think that person is Cam Newton. If Rivera thinks I. Am wrong I won't jump off a cliff or judge Rivera bc of it. I try to study and pay attention but these guys are a lot better at this than I am and I trust them.

Absolutely not.

If Rivera thinks he is the "Franchise QB" tha twe need, then we should definitely to get him.

Will it be the right more or not.....who knows. There are as many (if not more) bust QB's taken at the top of the draft than successes.

Any pick (especially QB) is a complete crap shoot.

Absolutely not.

If Rivera thinks he is the "Franchise QB" tha twe need, then we should definitely to get him.

Will it be the right more or not.....who knows. There are as many (if not more) bust QB's taken at the top of the draft than successes.

Any pick (especially QB) is a complete crap shoot.

exactly.. so knowing this, I find it hard to believe there is going to be such a thing as "I'm right" "you're wrong"..

no one fuging knows. so those who want Cam are really ignorant to call those against drafting a QB, haters. and vice versa..

if ANY of you knew anything worth a damn, you wouldn't be on this forum...

exactly.. so knowing this, I find it hard to believe there is going to be such a thing as "I'm right" "you're wrong"..

no one fuging knows. so those who want Cam are really ignorant to call those against drafting a QB, haters. and vice versa..

if ANY of you knew anything worth a damn, you wouldn't be on this forum...

Hater

I used to be completely against drafting him. Thought his character could be his downfall, and he'd be out of the league in 3 years ala Jamarcus Russell. Then I thought, Im not above making mistakes and giving someone another chance.

Then I looked at him athletically. It's hard not to love his measurables and statistics. He's kind of a hard player to look at and see how he'd play professionally though. With his make up he can play the same as David Carr or Jason Campbell. But he could also be Donovan McNabb, Ben Roethlisberger or Josh Freeman. He could be better or worse than any of them.

If we draft him, I won't say it's a bonehead move. But they had better ride his ass on the field and in the film room. They better be in his hip pocket at all time, not babying him or smothering him, but being there at all times to make sure he is doing what he needs to do.

Archived