• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The spirit of John Fox lives on?

Udogg

You would think after all the complaining about the conservative nature of the John Fox era people here would be more apt to take risk. However from a lot of comments and post it seems like John Fox is still here.

Drafting a cornerback , DT at #1?

We need a traditional pocket passing QB.

Complaining that a QB made a play to ice the game instead of taking a knee?

Tanking the year so we can get a better QB(arguably) next year?

Hoping that our horrible QB play from last year was just bad play calling?

Or maybe it's just me reading into things..........

You would think after all the complaining about the conservative nature of the John Fox era people here would be more apt to take risk. However from a lot of comments and post it seems like John Fox is still here.

The problems with our fanbase runs far deeper and more ignorant than the things you listed.

Exactly I would think our fans would be tired of the safe decision making & being behind in today's NFL by having no QB.

you would think, but some are too used to the mediocrity I guess. Every good team takes chances on players. I dont like the Patriots, but they are beast when it comes to taking chances in the offseason.

I'd say it is.

The draft thing has nothing to do with the positions. It's the players available. Some folks believe, and have stated, that the best players available this year are a DT, CB, or WR, and that's a legitimate position. Would you dispute that?

And yes, pocket passers still win, especially with the rules as they are today. But for the record, it's wrong to assume that "pocket passer" means "immobile". Aaron Rodgers is a pocket passer but also has some mobility (and there are other examples).

The complaint about Newton revolves around the fact that he disobeyed a coach's order. Some may not have an issue with that, but for some it's a red flag. Again, a legit point of view.

The 'tank the season' thing is silly, but I'm not sure how many people legitimately think that and how many are just saying it jokingly.

As to the last one, what's really wrong with hoping that Clausen is better than what he showed last year? I'm not necessarily buying that he is, mind you, but why would finding out that the high pick we used in last year's draft wasn't a bust after all be a bad thing?

you would think, but some are too used to the mediocrity I guess. Every good team takes chances on players. I dont like the Patriots, but they are beast when it comes to taking chances in the offseason.

Yep the same fans that wanted to "under the radar" :nonod: f**k that I want great expectations year in and year out.

I'd say it is.

The draft thing has nothing to do with the positions. It's the players available. Some folks believe, and have stated, that the best players available this year are a DT, CB, or WR, and that's a legitimate position. Would you dispute that?

And yes, pocket passers still win, especially with the rules as they are today. But for the record, it's wrong to assume that "pocket passer" means "immobile". Aaron Rodgers is a pocket passer but also has some mobility (and there are other examples).

The complaint about Newton revolves around the fact that he disobeyed a coach's order. Some may not have an issue with that, but for some it's a red flag. Again, a legit point of view.

The 'tank the season' thing is silly, but I'm not sure how many people legitimately think that and how many are just saying it jokingly.

As to the last one, what's really wrong with hoping that Clausen is better than what he showed last year? I'm not necessarily buying that he is, mind you, but why would finding out that the high pick we used in last year's draft wasn't a bust after all be a bad thing?

Now why would I go and put that kind of thinking and logic into my post when it's easier just to say "dey so ign-ant.."

1) Most of us want to draft the best player available to fill a need. Some of us don't think Cam Newton is that player.

2) Some of us would rather have a quarterback who has a bit more experience operating out of the pocket and who is used to leaning on his arm to win games, instead of his legs. That being said, this isn't a major concern for me, since I think he will change his playstyle no matter where he goes.

3) Some of us really don't like that he didn't listen to his coaches.

4) Anyone who wants to tank next season is a fugging moron and not drafting Cam Newton doesn't mean we want to tank next season. There is a VERY good chance that drafting Cam Newton could cause a lower record than drafting Peterson or Dareus, someone who can play right away and likely have a greater short term impact unless they were to bust. The payout with Cam Newton is more likely to be long term, if it happens.

5) Anyone who thinks our offense won't be better this year, even if we changed nothing, is crazy (note: we have changed some things already and we are changing more).

One of the greatest misconceptions about the majority of people who don't want Newton is that we want Clausen to start right now, or we want to go into camp with Clausen, Pike, and Moore and no one else.

I would like to see us bring in a veteran to compete with those four in camp - because the reality is, even if we draft Newton, we have to do this anyway. We are young at quarterback if we draft one or not. We would be well served to find a journeyman that can potentially take over if our young guys, be it Newton, Clausen, or Pike, don't work out and Moore either isn't here or is injured.

If our offense doesn't get better, our quarterback is going to play terribly no matter who it is, period. So whether you want us to draft Cam or not, you better hope that whatever was ailing it last year is a thing of the past... and no, it wasn't just Jimmy Clausen and Matt Moore.

Archived