• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Somebody please tell me!

unicar15

Why the hell would you franchise the most athletic (and one of the most talented) defenders in the league and then back off the LEAGUE MANDATED asking price under the COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT only to receive LESS compensation?

That is what people on this board and the beat writers for the Panthers are crucifying Hurney over right now.

Its common sense to take a hard stance to see if you can even get close to that asking price even if it is ridiculous. You don't automatically lower the price on something to satisfy the market...you keep the price up to see if you get a steal. He has months to trade Pep he doesn't need to panic now...

if the panthers want to trade Peppers, nobody is going to pay 2 first any more, it hasn't been done since 2000 that's 9 years ago, most franchises have realized that trading 2 first round pick rarely works out for the better.

Now Hurney is going to play hard ball and put up the biggest show possible so they can get as much as they can for Peppers, but this also depends how much they want to keep Peppers because if he wanted to they could force him to stay at this point.

what happens is anyones guess though, when it happens it will hapen

If you try to sell him for a first and a third. People will try to negotiate for less. And you'll get less than what everyone thought he was worth. If you try to sell him for a 2 firsts.. You will get closer to two first than a first and a third. People don't give two firsts anymore, but it sure makes negotiating a lot more sensible on our side. Like "dude, you're trying to give me a first and a third? bitch please, this agreement says I could get two firsts, tell me why i should lower my price for you." It pretty much forces people to give extra in order to try to satisfy.

If Oakland is willing to shell insane amounts of money at D Hall and now the guy that just signed then anything is possible.

2# 1's is gonna be tough. But I agree with the OP, you START HIGH then work to what you can live with. Not the other way around.

Hurney is playing this one perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. I think he's putting a facade up that Peppers is staying here and keeping everything quiet. The teams interested in Peppers would then offer more for him, because they think that Peppers probably isn't going anywhere.

“There's a sucker born every minute”

“Without promotion something terrible happens... Nothing!”

“Money is a terrible master but an excellent servant”

"Those who really desire to attain an independence, have only set their minds upon it, and adopt the proper means, as they do in regard to any other object which they wish to accomplish, and the thing is easily done.”

-P.T. Barnum

Sounds like he would have been a good GM.

Marty is just controlling how these negotiations are going to go. Peppers and Carey are trying to tell him where they are going to go and what thy are going to do. Hurney is making sure they pick the team he wants to trade with if he decides to let Peppers go. If it is a team he doesn't want to work with he demands the 2 firsts. He won't negotiate for less with a team unless it on his list and not Pepper's. And if no one bites, He welcomes Peppers's back with open arms.

It is a no lose proposition for the Panthers unless they reallly want to trade him and can't find takers. I can't tell if Marty is just a good poker player or being sincere. A mark of a professional.

Why the hell would you franchise the most athletic (and one of the most talented) defenders in the league and then back off the LEAGUE MANDATED asking price under the COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT only to receive LESS compensation?

That is what people on this board and the beat writers for the Panthers are crucifying Hurney over right now.

Its common sense to take a hard stance to see if you can even get close to that asking price even if it is ridiculous. You don't automatically lower the price on something to satisfy the market...you keep the price up to see if you get a steal. He has months to trade Pep he doesn't need to panic now...

I don't understand. Forgive me if I missed something today, but isn't this exactly what Hurney is doing?

He has said he will take nothing less than a team's two first-round picks. Like you said, he has months to trade Peppers and hasn't sounded at all eager to make a move. He's playing it cool and hoping to get a steal, as you suggest.

So seriously, what am I missing? Because it seems like he's doing exactly what you're describing? :confused:

Archived