• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg Hardy will start

Rags

As far as I've been able to see this pre-season, Everette Brown = Poor, Greg Hardy = Easily handled at line of scrimmage, Eric Norwood = Slow feet, Ugo Chinasa = Young, highest upside of all DE's listed.... needs polishing.

Interesting :confused:

more of an indication of how bad Brown is than anything
i know it's, let's bash brown, time...but he is slated to back up johnson, not be the first de on the field regardless what side.

While i'm disappointed that brown hasn't been a bigger impact..that's how the draft goes. Ya don't win them all. I'm not even closing the book on brown yet, cause i am going to give him a season with this coaching staff.

That being said, i don't expect brown, nor norwood, to beat out hardy. hardy has the size, speed, and strength ya like to see. He was a steal in the draft.

One disappointment, one steal...i'll take that as a wash.

i know it's, let's bash brown, time...but he is slated to back up johnson, not be the first de on the field regardless what side.

While i'm disappointed that brown hasn't been a bigger impact..that's how the draft goes. Ya don't win them all. I'm not even closing the book on brown yet, cause i am going to give him a season with this coaching staff.

That being said, i don't expect brown, nor norwood, to beat out hardy. hardy has the size, speed, and strength ya like to see. He was a steal in the draft.

One disappointment, one steal...i'll take that as a wash.

Agree mostly, but we gave up a 1st round pick to get Brown and he's literally done nothing, that's what erks me.

You'll see. We overpaid Johnson by sooo much. Maybe he's not better now, but Hardy will be a better player.

You're pretty ignorant, Johnson led the league in QB pressures.

Snaps: 540

Stats: 7 sacks, four hits and 29 hurries. 21 defensive stops

Grade: +5.6 (+13.9 for pass rushing – overall grade held down by eight penalties)

We aren’t really in a position to comment on his rookie year since at that point, we hadn’t yet hit our stride. So, 2008 was our first chance at breaking down the former Georgia Bulldog. In short, we were wowed by what Johnson was able to do, and shocked the Panthers didn’t find a way to get this pass rushing menace on the field more.

His 2008 season was so good that it earned him the eighth highest grade for a defensive end in pass rushing on the year. Sure, his run defense wasn’t great, and he was flagged a few too mant times, but we certainly expected to see more of him, after all, it’s not every player that can turn 11.4% of their pass rushes into pressure.

Snaps: 450

Stats: Four sacks, two hits and 22 hurries. 13 defensive stops.

Grade: +8.0 (+7.2 for pass rushing)

2009 didn’t result in an increased workload and the drafting of Everette Brown saw Johnson slip down the depth chart. Johnson finished with fewer snaps played than Brown, though some of this can be attributed to missing a number of games.

He was still bringing a healthy amount of pressure with quarterbacks feeling his presence on 10.61% of plays (compared to the 8.68% of Brown) but management seemed determined to justify trading a future first rounder away. Ignoring Panther personnel decisions, it was still impressive. Here was a guy who, whenever he was getting on the field, was playing well. Plus Julius Peppers was about to leave.

Snaps: 918

Stats: 12 sacks, 11 hits and 58 hurries. 48 defensive stops.

Grade: +43.8 (including a +32.6 for pass rushing)

2010 was the breakout year that we’d be expecting, only with a double dose of red bull. We’d pegged it before the season that Johnson was one to watch if the Panthers would give him the opportunity, but even in our wildest “told you so” moments we didn’t quite see this type of year coming.

Johnson simply obliterated right tackles.

His pass rushing numbers on the year were not just among those of the elite pass rushers, his were best of all. No defensive end had more combined sacks, hits and hurries than the 81 of Johnson and what’s more, he did it consistently throughout the year. We saw some players rack up stats in a few games as they feasted on bad opposition. Johnson just beat everyone. Outside of the opening game against the Giants, he didn’t have a single day with a negative pass rush grade and 11 times he managed an “in the green” grade of +1.0 or (considerably) more.

Take what Johnson was able to do to potential big money free agent Tyson Clabo. The Falcons’ right tackle enjoyed a successful year, especially with his pass protection. In two games against Clay Matthews for example, Clabo surrendered just one pressure to the Defensive Player of the Year candidate. In two games against Charles Johnson (including Week 17 where Johnson spent nearly half of his snaps lined up on the right side or at defensive tackle), Clabo gave up a sack, a hit and six pressures.

The only thing that stopped Johnson from being considered for the DPoY (and he should have been) was that he played on a terrible team. So I’m asking the question, is it his fault his team didn’t address the defensive tackle position, overestimated the worth of Matt Moore, or relied on rookie receivers (among other problems)?

All of this is before you even get into looking at how good a player he was in run defense. Extremely active, he has the ability to disengage and locate ball carriers, which is a large part of why he finished with 48 defensive stops (leading all defensive ends). You just need to go through his highlight reel (as I’ve had the pleasure of doing as I write this) to see how disruptive a force he is.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/21/charles-johnson-already-elite/

Archived