• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A QB Comparison

blackcatgrowl

Comparing Josh Freeman and Cam Newton is almost useless to do. Different teams, different coaches, different players. Similar skill sets? Perhaps. Both mobile, both have strong, rocket arms. Different receivers, different running backs.

Josh Freeman looks to becoming a very successful QB. Based on Cam's experience, and play time, you can pretty much say the same thing; not enough information is there for Cam, yet he hasn't fugged up so badly that you can state that he is a bust. Good things have happened. So let it play out.

How did Freeman's rookie campaign go? Hmm seems it was the second year he improved in... so why rush Cam?

This is no argument for him starting this year, plus Cam was picked #1 and Freeman #17. You don't draft projects at #1.

you don't see the year 2 improvement without Freeman getting on the field year 1.

This exactly proves my point. Cam is actually being smarter with the football, and still having about the same play for preseason rookie football as any other QB who has been a starter in our division.

People need to calm the fug down. He's a rookie. It's the preseason. We need to wait until we see at least a half dozen regular season games to see what he's made of and even begin to worry.

And even at that, he's a rookie, with a rookie Head Coach, who had a super shortened Off-season due to a labor dispute.

Actually the point that proves was that comparing preseason stats mean nothing. You comparing him to Freeman means nothing just as me comparing him to Jimmy means nothing.

Cam Newton - Rookie debut 2011 - Week 3 -

Vs. CIN - Loss 13-24

Completions - 6

Attempts - 19

Completion rate - 31.6

Int - 0

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 2

Preseason Stats through week 3

Completions - 22

Attempts - 52

Completion rate - 42.3

Int - 0

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 4

Josh Freeman - Rookie debut 2009 - Week 3 -

Vs. MIA - Loss 6-10

Completions - 6

Attempts - 16

Completion rate - 37.5

Int - 0

TDs - 0

Sacks taken - 1

2009 Preseason Stats

Completions - 22

Attempts - 49

Completion rate - 44.9

Int - 3

TDs - 1

Sacks taken - 2

So basically, Newton is getting more pressure (twice as many sacks in one less game), is making less mistakes (no ints) but still playing comparatively to a rookie performance of a guy who is now an established starter in our division,

Can we calm down now?

Funny how when stats are posted to try and prove something positive for Cam the huggers love and accept such stats

Post something that show some real relavance and OMG STATS MEAN NOTHING...THEY DON'T TELL THE ENTIRE STORY, let see what some other ones they throw out there...

If you read my other replies, you'll see I am not pushing for him to start.

I've said it all preseason I don't care if he starts game 1 or not.

I'm simply pointing out that a rough rookie preseason is not evidence of a bust, despite people like TuRD going crazy over these few games.

I think there are about 1-2 posters saying hes a bust, the rest are simply saying he isnt ready to start. I personally feel that he needs to get the basics right before being thrown in.

Funny how when stats are posted to try and prove something positive for Cam the huggers love and accept such stats

Post something that show some real relavance and OMG STATS MEAN NOTHING...THEY DON'T TELL THE ENTIRE STORY, let see what some other ones they throw out there...

Comparing two similar players, in two similar situations in their rookie year is pretty relevant.

If you would look beyond the stats, do some research, and read the Bucs comments on Freeman's growing pains his rookie year. You'd see damn near the exact same chicken little train of thought that's prevalent in this place.

PS: You should turn off your rage mode, and stop typing in caps (like it emphasizes anything). It's making you look retarded.

I think there are about 1-2 posters saying hes a bust

lolwat?

Comparing Josh Freeman and Cam Newton is almost useless to do. Different teams, different coaches, different players. Similar skill sets? Perhaps. Both mobile, both have strong, rocket arms. Different receivers, different running backs.

I'm just quoting this thread because it summarizes, I think, what a lot of people have been saying.

I completely disagree with this opinion. I think that comparing Newton and Freeman is an interesting comparison. It is useful for a number of reasons, many of which have already been mentioned, but...

I don't think the statistics are that telling...in terms of showing which QB played better. However, it is interesting to note that the Bucs went 3-13 that season. So, if the similarities in terms of stats can be compared, then maybe we can see what we are in for this season. If the Bucs 2009 record is any indication of Freeman's overall play, then Cam's similar performance in pre-season (markedly fewer turnovers, but in terms of comp%) might indicate less than 4 wins.

THe way I look at our pre-season play. Especially the offensive line. I've never seen them look worse! Our interior DL is a joke. Our CBs are getting burned. If this team fails, it won't be because of Cam, though.

Remember, as well, that Bucs coach Raheem Morris was retained even after posting that 3-13 record in his first year. If Rivera only gets 3 wins out of this team, he'll probably get one more year to turn it around.

Saying that a 2009 Bucs/ 2011 Panthers comparison is not useful is not looking very closely at the writing on the wall. Come out of your denial phase and admit that Cam has a long way to go before he can put this team on his back (but he has shown flashes). I think he is a lot like Freeman.

But he has the potential to be so much more than Josh Freeman. Time will tell.

Comparing two similar players, in two similar situations in their rookie year is pretty relevant.

If you would look beyond the stats, do some research, and read the Bucs comments on Freeman's growing pains his rookie year. You'd see damn near the exact same chicken little train of thought that's prevalent in this place.

PS: You should turn off your rage mode, and stop typing in caps (like it emphasizes anything). It's making you look retarded.

lolwat?

Who is then?

Do what? People compare players from other teams all the time.

Now, people are blowing up Newton... but looking at another team in our division's proven starter's rookie debut IS a good comparison to see where the bar should be set.

IMO, those who are "blowing up Newton" are the ones who either didn't want him on the team. Hate him from his Auburn days or believe everything they hear and read about him. Cam is playing as well as any rookie that is pick in the top twenty. I don't understand the whole, he's pick number one so that automatically means he has to come in and start playing like a pro. Very very few rookies have and those rookies had to take some pain.

Also, a number one picked rookie is usually playing on the worst team. Let's be real, if the team needs a whole lot of work, even the exceptionally talented rookie will have to take some serious lumps while his team develops.

Comparing Josh Freeman and Cam Newton is somewhat laughable, while they are similar in some ways Newton has never shown to have the skills that Freeman does (college, etc). The reason that Freeman didn't get sacked as much as Newton could be that he ran to the outside, or forced a throw.

Plus, two different teams (o-line, etc) and different years. Rather pointless trying to compare 2011 Panthers with 2008 Panthers yes? Because the team is a lot different now.

IMO, those who are "blowing up Newton" are the ones who either didn't want him on the team. Hate him from his Auburn days or believe everything they hear and read about him. Cam is playing as well as any rookie that is pick in the top twenty. I don't understand the whole, he's pick number one so that automatically means he has to come in and start playing like a pro. Very very few rookies have and those rookies had to take some pain.

Also, a number one picked rookie is usually playing on the worst team. Let's be real, if the team needs a whole lot of work, even the exceptionally talented rookie will have to take some serious lumps while his team develops.

We became the worst team through injuries and bad coaching, not having the worst starters in the league. Andy Dalton did very well Thursday, no? He has a much worst team then we do imo.

You can't judge a rookie QB after their first year and you definitely can't after playing 6 quarters. Cam just needs to work on his footwork and this is not a big deal. I would be worried if he was throwing a bunch of picks; which he isn't. Everyone needs to calm down. It gets really old how quickly people here turn on players. There is no question we are a better team with Cam starting v. Clausen. Reality is the pro bowl players around him need to start earning their pay checks; this is the problem.

Archived