• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beason situation dire.

mav1234

The doom and gloom in this thread is pathetic. Reality check is that this injury usually takes a year to recover from. Proper rehab, and the fact the Jon Beason is a very young man, will bode well for him coming back completely, hopefully sometime next season, but perhaps not by week 1. He's an elite athlete, and will still be an elite athlete after he recovers if he continues to put in the effort to prepare himself that he has in the past.

if it's a tear, it is dire. It could easily be his career, or at least his career as being a top 5 MLB. Doesn't mean it will be, and let's hope it isn't as bad as it looked... but it could happen.

He could also make a total recovery and beast his way through the rest of his career. I hope so. But I wish he'd just sat this game out...

ugghhhh - wish he'd have sat out.

The doom and gloom in this thread is pathetic. Reality check is that this injury usually takes a year to recover from. Proper rehab, and the fact the Jon Beason is a very young man, will bode well for him coming back completely, hopefully sometime next season, but perhaps not by week 1. He's an elite athlete, and will still be an elite athlete after he recovers if he continues to put in the effort to prepare himself that he has in the past.

I missed you fuzzy

Is torn better than ruptured? The same thing? Worse?

Same thing, can be partial or complete rupture.

If it's a complete rupture, the odds he'll come back the same are not high as it ends 36% of NFL careers. The players that come back from it don't have the leg strength or acceleration as to prior the injury. Basically over 30% never come back and basically all of the players who've made the comeback so far haven't been the same after the injury as before. Less games played and less effective in the games they played.

If it's a partial, he'll be done for the season and it's highly likely he'll come back the same player next season.

I'm optimistically hoping for a partial as I'm positive it was a tear, the question is was it a full or partial rupture.

Here's a few articles on how bad an Achilles tear is for an NFL player's career.

http://www.lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/2/35136/achilles-tendon-rupture-ends-many-nfl-careers.html

Happened to TD twice and he doesn't seem to have lost his game or speed now that he's fully recovered.... Let's just hope it doesn't happen to Beason twice.

TD's were torn ACL's, this is a torn achilles tendon. Apparently it's much worse. One of the worst injuries a player can get short of an outright career-ender.

That's based on what I've heard/read here, BTW. I have no clue personally how serious it actually is.

Same thing, can be partial or complete rupture.

If it's a complete rupture, the odds he'll come back the same are not high as it ends 36% of NFL careers. The players that come back from it don't have the leg strength or acceleration as to prior the injury. Basically over 30% never come back and basically all of the players who've made the comeback so far haven't been the same after the injury as before. Less games played and less effective in the games they played.

If it's a partial, he'll be done for the season and it's highly likely he'll come back the same player next season.

I'm optimistically hoping for a partial as I'm positive it was a tear, the question is was it a full or partial rupture.

Here's a few articles on how bad an Achilles tear is for an NFL player's career.

http://www.lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/2/35136/achilles-tendon-rupture-ends-many-nfl-careers.html

New poster here, really excited about the season (and bummed about Beason). Anyway, I'd just throw some caution at the 36% number. With the average NFL career being 3.3 years, that means 30% of players don't come back the next season regardless of injury (certainly some of those guys are lost because of injury, but they are a minority...most just don't work out as NFL players). Now, some of those guys obviously retire, but that statistic doesn't say (that I could find) if they mean starting players, guys who injure their achilles in a game, or merely all injuries. At any rate, although it may not be exactly a 6% chance of a career ending injury for someone of Beason's level, it definitely isn't 36% and is probably close to 10% when you normalize for all other factors. It's serious, and I'm really upset by it, but it's not likely to end his career or anything.

Archived