• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Merril Hodge would take Cam over Luck

Udogg

Pretty much.

I wouldn't take the best college quarterback over the worst experienced pro.

That's dumb. Taking a known over an unknown is only something you do if the known is a positive.

Andrew Luck might be bad as a pro, Matt Moore IS bad as a pro. In this circumstance an unknown is better than a known.

If this weren't the case nobody would start rookies.

I'd definitely take Luck over players like Grossman, Clausen, and such. I'm not sure why you wouldn't.

You say he could be a bust but we know Grossman is no good. He (the bad experienced pro) is the known in this situation like Cam is the known in the Luck-Cam comparison.

Because the difference between college and the pros is huge.

There's not a single college quarterback - Luck included - that you could stick on a pro team right now and expect him to just perform right away.

The transition between college and the pros is enormous. Some make it more quickly than others (witness Newton) but it still takes time.

So yes, Luck (probably) will be better than Moore, Clausen, Grossman and others, but is he right now?

No :nonod:

There's not a single college quarterback - Luck included - that you could stick on a pro team right now and expect him to just perform right away.

The transition between college and the pros is enormous. Some make it more quickly than others (witness Newton) but it still takes time.

So yes, Luck (probably) will be better than Moore, Clausen, Grossman and others, but is he right now?

Looking at one game, I agree with you. Looking ahead years at the time, no way. I would take the high potential every time.

That said I would certainly take Cam knowing what I know now. But lets give them both a couple of years.

I've said before, I've got a feeling that Luck is going to bust after watching him this season and what has happened over the last year... He seems spoiled and immature to me and I think he's got a lot of growing up to do once he stops breastfeeding from his dad.

We got our franchise QB. IDGAF about Luck and I think he's gonna disappoint a lot of people.

Yes I absolutely believe he's better right now than Clausen and Moore. I would expect him to perform better right now on the Dolphins than Moore is. Unless you're just talking about not knowing the playbook, which is an unfair comparison since he knows his own playbook.

Yeah but that wouldn't be an issue with Luck. It's not like you can sign Luck. He goes to process of OTAs and Training Camps just like other rookies. As we can see Grossman's game at UF didn't transfer that well either. So taking Luck right now isn't even a possibility at all so when people talk about taking Luck over Grossman it means with a proper rookie offseason.

Yes I absolutely believe he's better right now than Clausen and Moore. I would expect him to perform better right now on the Dolphins than Moore is. Unless you're just talking about not knowing the playbook, which is an unfair comparison since he knows his own playbook.

I don't, and it isn't just about the playbook. The level of competition makes a world of difference.

Looking at one game, I agree with you. Looking ahead years at the time, no way. I would take the high potential every time.

That said I would certainly take Cam knowing what I know now. But lets give them both a couple of years.

That's why I say he will be better, but right now? No way. He hasn't faced a pro level defense yet.

As to comparisons with Newton, said before I don't really care if Luck does turn out better. For the sake of argument, Patrick Willis may be better than Jon Beason, but that doesn't really bother me because Beason is great (when healthy, of course).

Now if you want to make me envious, talk about great defensive tackes on other teams :(

Archived