• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At First Glance There Are 11 Holes On This Team

NJPanthers12

Looking into the roster the Panthers are set at the following positions:

QB: Cam Newton

RB: DeAngelo Williams/Jonathan Stewart

WR: Steve Smith

WR: Brandon LaFell/David Gettis

TE: Greg Olsen

TE: Jeremy Shockey (going off the assumption he will be brought back)

LT: Jordan Gross

LG: Travelle Wharton

C: Ryan Kalil

DE: Charles Johnson

SLB: James Anderson

MLB: Jon Beason

CB:Chris Gamble

SS: Charles Godfrey

This leaves us with holes at RG, RT, DE, DT, DT, WLB, CB, FS, KR/PR, K, and P. I know a lot of people on here are talking playoffs next year, and I am sipping the koolaid as well, but 11 holes is a lot to fill in one offseason. Especially in an offseason where we don't have a third round pick and limited cap space. Being realistic you come to realize that some of the holes on this team will need to be filled with players already here and hope for improvement. Looking at the holes I believe at RG you have to allow Geoff Schwartz and Geoff Hangartner to battle it out during training camp. I believe both are suitable starters and we can get by with either one. I know a few posters on this board want Decastro from Stanford, but I think this team could make the playoffs with Schwartz or Hangartner starting.

That now leaves 10 holes. If you look at RT you need to make a decision if you are comfortable with Jeff Otah for at least one more year or if you want to ignore defense and draft Riley Reiff in the first round. I personally think our defense is too much of a mess to ignore and that Jeff Otah should be given one last shot to prove himself. When Otah is right there are not many better at creating holes in the run game. So going into the offseason I see us look for some depth along the O-Line, bringing back Shockey, and possibly looking for a depth WR. In my opinion very little will be going into the offense this offseason.

I think Hardy is a very solid player and someone who I believe will improve. People need to remember there was very limited training camp last year, no mini camps, and he got hurt at the start of training camp. If he can improve his play against the run and we can get solid DTs to take pressure off the outsides I believe he will be like Osi Umenyiora type player.

At second glance I now see 8 glaring holes on this team. DT, DT, WLB, FS, CB, KR/PR, K, and P. How do you see us filling these holes this offseason? I can very easily see us filling some holes by drafting two impact players in the first 2 rounds, getting a KR/PR in the fourth round, and P or K in the sixth or seventh. That would leave us with 4 glaring holes and depth issues. While the upside sure is bright here in Carolina, there are still many questions to be answered and I would love to hear all of your opinions.

I have two dream scenarios that would really fill up these holes. Scenario A would have us drafting Still and pairing him with Edwards. Then drafting an OLB in the second and signing Grimes away from Atlanta. I know this won't happen considering JR said we won't be signing any high priced free agents.

Scenario B is Claiborne falling down to us and getting a DT in the second round. It is going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out, but all I know is if we have any shot at competing next year we need 1 CB, 1 DT, and 1 LB.

Brockers is better than Still when it comes to domination of another man.

Brockers for some reason reminds me of Amobi Okoye. He is young, raw, was not suppose to leave college, and has a ridiculous amount of potential. I believe both are so close that, with Brockers having more potential, that you need to take the safer pick. Once again that is just my opinion. Just have a hunch Brockers will be like Okoye, but I wouldn't hate the pick.

Newton for some reason reminds me of JaMarcus Russell. He is young, raw, was not suppose to leave college, and has a ridiculous amount of potential. I believe both are so close that, with Newton having more potential, that you need to take the safer pick. Once again that is just my opinion. Just have a hunch Newton will be like Russell, but I wouldn't hate the pick.

Am I doing it right?

No because Russell was fat and lazy and never put the work ethic in. Russell also never put up the season that Cam put up.

Lol you're missing the point where people compared Newton to Russell pre-draft, even people here for the same reasons you're comparing Brockers to Okoye... sad i had to explain that.

Needs for the team are simple.

DT, CB, LB

DE's No issues

KR/PR No issues

Oline No issues (The place Otah on IR to allow him to heal properly with trainers and Docs from the team to help him. Remember he had no support during the lock out no did TD)

TE's No issues. (Even if we do not resign Shockey, we have Barndige coming off of IR and he was drafted as a Pass catching Te that FOX never used as such. with our current OC and offense, I think he'll be good)

WR No Issues (Smith, Lafell, Gettis, Naanee)

CB Issues (Captain is a great nickle back but has struggled and been brunt tomany times since starting. And has had to many penalties on top of that)

SS/FS No issues Godd starters and Depth

DE's No Issues (Johnson is a beast in the pass or run, Keiser, Thomas I happen to like his non stop drive. this guys does not stop on plays. needs some work though with pass rush skills, Hardy, Greg real deal just needs another camp and a healthy camp to grow into the position.)

The biggest issue we face this offseason is our salary cap room. and there is not much there.

Needs for the team are simple.

DT, CB, LB

DE's No issues

SS/FS No issues Godd starters and Depth

DE's No Issues (Johnson is a beast in the pass or run, Keiser, Thomas I happen to like his non stop drive. this guys does not stop on plays. needs some work though with pass rush skills, Hardy, Greg real deal just needs another camp and a healthy camp to grow into the position.)

We had 2 of the worst tacklers in the NFL playing S for us last year. No issue? Martin and Godfrey were both ranked in the top in missed tackles....both struggle in coverage.

We are an injury to CJ away from having the worst DEs in the NFL. Hardy is a backup.

I don't see even 8 holes, more like 4 or 5 at most. We already have the DTs we will go into the year with. Yep I know folks hate that, but it is true. We could draft a DT but they won't start right away most likely. We will likely draft a DE but not bring one in because we can't afford a premier pass rusher. We might bring in a guy like we did with Tyler Brayton to shore up the run game on first and second down and use Hardy as a pass rusher. We will likely bring in a free agent linebacker as they are cheaper than DE or corner for example. We likely bring in either a FS in free agency but not one high priced. People still expect Hogan to start this year. We will likely draft a CB and safety in the draft as well as a linebacker.

On offense we won't bring in any high priced free agents but might bring in a handgartner or similar guy. We will probably use some middle or late rounds in the draft on offense.

I think we go with Mare because he is paid for and we might find a guy to punt but it won't be a big contract.

The idea that we are going to turn over this roster is in direct opposition to the fact we have 20 out of 22 starters already signed and won't be adding that many guys to the roster.

Archived