• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should watch and learn from the Drew Brees situation

SCP

So when can we renegotiate his contract? My understanding is that it's after fours years????

Someone else may know better but off the top of my head they can't renegotiate until after year 3. But going into his fourth year they can extend him without waiting for the contract to expire. I think that is correct.....

IMO the Brees/Saints situation is just posturing at this point. They will get a deal done.

Just my opinion though.

But why posture in the first place. Look what we did with Johnson last year. We paaid him big bucks, he was ecstatic, we locked him up and everyone was happy. If he is their franchise guy who not pay him the going rate which is 16-18 million and move on. If they are far apart it is because New Orleans is lowballing him. And really they have to know if he hits free agency, someone else will pay him what he wants. Brees knows that he holds the cards and NO can't afford not to sign him. The fans would go nuts.

But why posture in the first place. Look what we did with Johnson last year. We paaid him big bucks, he was ecstatic, we locked him up and everyone was happy. If he is their franchise guy who not pay him the going rate which is 16-18 million and move on. If they are far apart it is because New Orleans is lowballing him. And really they have to know if he hits free agency, someone else will pay him what he wants. Brees knows that he holds the cards and NO can't afford not to sign him. The fans would go nuts.

I didn't really say it made sense, I just get the feeling the Saints are trying to leverage a hometown discount from Brees.

Brees has a good situation in New Orleans, I doubt he really wants to go somewhere else and learn a new system, new receivers, etc. New Orleans is probably trying to maximize what little leverage they have.

Some teams do this even though it doesn't make sense. Jim Rutherford has these little games with the Hurricane free agents almost ever off-season where he bitches and moans and says he can't pay guys, then gets a deal done.

It is just my opinion though maybe they are just stingy and dumb :lol:

can we not worry about this, you know....in a couple three years when it's actually an issue?

until then just sit back and enjoy the show.

That's the thing. It will never be an issue.

Big time quarterbacks never leave their home team unless extreme circumstances force it(ie injuries that leave big ass question marks on a certain player like Brees & Peyton now, or Vick being a monster of a human being).

Archived