• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Just Watched 6 Games Worth Of Quinton Coples Snaps...

Catalyst

I posted this because this is a message board and we're a day out from the draft. If you don't want to read it, don't. This is why we're here. To discuss, debate, especially when it comes to the draft.

Actually you posted this for attention and to express your opinion no matter how extreme or on the fringe. It wasn't objective or even colored with a realistic point of view. As a result it will be criticized and dismissed as the ravings of a guy with a biased irrelevant point of view. All of the ensuing debate is you trying to defend a rather untenable point of view given what has been reported about him over the last several months. Isn't this what you wanted when you posted it? did you really expect many people to agree?? Seriously?????

I don't agree with this assessment at all. Coples was constantly being keyed on by the offensive line. He can split the double team, he's got brute strength, a quick first step, and can convert power to speed when going for the sack. He does need some consistency, but I think we have the team makeup and coaching staff to get it out of him. I think he can be a very good player from what I have seen.

After an exceptional season in 2010, Coples was dreadful last year. Two scouts said they are convinced that Coples took a dive when he saw former teammates Robert Quinn, Marvin Austin and Greg Little selected in the first two rounds of the 2011 draft even though they were suspended for all of '10.

"He also saw Bruce Carter get hurt last year and hurt his stock," one personnel man said. "So he played scared a majority of the season. He played selfishly. His football character is not very good."

One of UNC's coaches told a team that Coples would have been benched if they had had depth.

"Then his interviews are so delusional in terms of him thinking he's one way and everybody else saying that he's another," another personnel man said. "If he doesn't have it in him, people will be waiting for something that's not going to happen."

Scouts aren't nearly as impressed with this guy as some Tarheel fans will lead you to believe. I don't think anyone is very impressed with him anymore. But, we will find out tomorrow.

Scouts aren't nearly as impressed with this guy as some Tarheel fans will lead you to believe. I don't think anyone is very impressed with him anymore. But, we will find out tomorrow.

He's got the best height/weight/speed/potential combination as a defensive end in this years draft. He'll go top 15. Every coach has an ego, and every ego thinks they can get the best out of a player.

I don't agree with this assessment at all. Coples was constantly being keyed on by the offensive line. He can split the double team, he's got brute strength, a quick first step, and can convert power to speed when going for the sack. He does need some consistency, but I think we have the team makeup and coaching staff to get it out of him. I think he can be a very good player from what I have seen.

At least you can disagree and discuss it and post reasons why you think that way rather than just add to the mountain of pointless butthurt whining.

FWIW I don't like the idea of spending a top 10 pick on a guy for HWS and "potential" when he has questionable work ethic/motor to reach that potential and bad tape. Same reasons why I don't want us to take Poe. I agree he'll go in the 1st round (maybe not top 15 though) I just hope it won't be to us.

At least you can disagree and discuss it and post reasons why you think that way rather than just add to the mountain of pointless butthurt whining.

FWIW I don't like the idea of spending a top 10 pick on a guy for HWS and "potential" when he has questionable work ethic/motor to reach that potential and bad tape. Same reasons why I don't want us to take Poe. I agree he'll go in the 1st round (maybe not top 15 though) I just hope it won't be to us.

Are you a moron? I posted the reasons I thought the assessment was wrong in the post you quoted. I see things that he does in games that suggest a much better player than was given credit for in the thread. I didn't whine about a damn thing. I think Coples is a very strong player at the point of attack, will draw double teams, can split double teams, and convert his power to speed in order to get to the quarterback. I've seen him do it. Getting a coach and players around him to do it consistently from a technique and mental focus standpoint might be the only question for me.

Archived