• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Years Of Marty Hurney

unicar15

I'm really sick of people complaining about D Will's contract

He's one of the top RB's in the league and deserved what he got

I can't imagine the posts if we would've let him walk .. IMO we're lucky he's part of our organization

not just his stats .. but he's genuinely a good guy

be grateful

Bummmmmppppp. Foreal!!!!!

Hurney is mediocre at best. Does mediocre get you to a SB? No. He has reached too hard in the draft many times. There's only one way to judge a GM and that's with results.

John Fox got Denver into the playoffs. So our problems over the last several years can't be blamed on Fox. So you have to blame Hurney.

He's drafted some terrible players. And we signed the core of a team that went 2-14.

It's all about results. If I did my job like Hurney does his, I'd be fired. If you want proof that JR has lost his marbles, look at the continued employment of MH.

Hurney is mediocre at best. Does mediocre get you to a SB? No. He has reached too hard in the draft many times. There's only one way to judge a GM and that's with results.

John Fox got Denver into the playoffs. So our problems over the last several years can't be blamed on Fox. So you have to blame Hurney.

He's drafted some terrible players. And we signed the core of a team that went 2-14.

It's all about results. If I did my job like Hurney does his, I'd be fired. If you want proof that JR has lost his marbles, look at the continued employment of MH.

Your job is nothing like an NFL job. Stop with that stupid comparison.. It is apples to oranges.

fox took this team to 2 NFC title games and a super bowl with several players drafted and brought in by hurney.

does marty get credit for that too or is he only responsible for the bad stuff? i'm having trouble keeping score here.

All of the above...it's a 'what have you done for me lately' league. Look at the horrible decisions in the last three years. Look at the team's record. Stop being delusional about Marty Hurney. He's mediocre at best. Look at the on field results.

Yeah, there are valid criticisms of hurney if you want him gone, but saying stuff like "well Fox went 8-8 in the worst division in football and made the playoffs, so he clearly wasn't the problem and he's awesome" is just plain stupid and cheapens any argument.

Fox went 8-8, in a weak division, in the weaker conference.

Carolina (Hurneys team) would have fares much better as well in that scenario

Fox went 8-8, in a weak division, in the weaker conference.

Carolina (Hurneys team) would have fared much better as well in that scenario

The average tenure of a GM is 4 years, excluding the GMs in Dallas and Cincinnati, where they are also owners. On the surface, a GM who inherits a great roster is going to look better than one who inherits crap. Usually, the first thing a GM who inherits crap does is hire a new coach. Then he begins remaking the roster.

If you look at the Panthers in the four years before Hurney got here, they averaged 5.3 wins a season. If you look at his first four years, they averaged 9.0 wins a season. That's not counting the playoffs, BTW. So as far as hiring the right guy and remaking the roster, Hurney doesn't suck.

In his next four seasons, he averaged 8.75 wins. And in the last two years, he's averaged 4. What should be noted here is that the 2 win season had a lot to do with JR's direct instructions to cut vets and let Fox work out his contract.

I would say that in his first eight years Hurney did a pretty good job of building a competitive team, without the benefit of a franchise quarterback. Now he has Cam Newton, and that alone should make his decisions look a lot smarter. Does it suddenly make him a better GM?

And for what it's worth, among active GMs only A.J. Smith had a better turn-around after taking over the football team.

That metric may mean something to some people here, it may not. But it's still a fact, so have fun turning it into an argument for the pre-conceived notions you already have. :)

Archived