• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Years Of Marty Hurney

unicar15

Free Agent Misses: Signing Mike Wahle, Signing Ken Lucas

I'm confused here.

oh no, they signed big contracts and were productive for a few seasons before they started to reach the downhill portion of their careers and we ditched them. that means they are horrible, horrible busts.

what's more hurney whiffed on carl nicks that one draft.

Ok, last 4 years: 12-4, 8-8, 2-14, 6-10. Total: 28-36. Below average. Worst 4 year stretch of Hurney's career. This just happens to coincide with the decline and departure of the previous long term starter at QB, a season where the owner refused to spend money and we put the league's youngest team on the field as a result, and the drafting of a franchise QB. Now maybe yore right and what happened 5-10 years ago doesn't matter because Marty Hurney has gotten worse at his job since then. Or, maybe the GM isn't the only thing that can affect a team's record and the circumstances listed above played a role.

If you are Richardson and your belief is you should have a coach friendly GM who caters to the HC......why replace Hurney?

Fox was let go for not winning. Hurney simply allowed Fox to have the talent he wanted to run the type team he wanted.

Same with Rivera.

Hurney just needs to be smarter with a select few contracts. As much as a bitch about Williams' deal hindsight makes it a bad one. If Cam wasn't a rock star out is the gate then that luxury investment would have been more of a need to pound the rock.

The guy that baffles me as to how he has a job is Ryan Vermillion. How do we sign players like Edwards who have never been hurt and then boom, IR. Davis, three ACL tears. Otah always hurt. This post is only half serious, but someone on the training staff, or medical staff, or strength and conditioning staff should be cut. It seems like the first caveat of every single season is. Either "if we can stay healthy, we'll be good", or "if so and so comes back healthy, we'll be fine", and yet neither ever happens.

EVERY team in this league can do what you just did. Using hindsight as your justification for bad choices. The last time I went down and checked. (before 2010 season, I believe) Carolina was second only to the New York Giants in number of players drafted who were still on active rosters.. Not necessarily still a Panther.

Free Agency I am about 50/50 with you. Lucas was a good pick-up for us. Too bad we had Mike Prozac (Togovac) as our DC.

Just for fun.....who would you recommend as our new GM if you had your wish to fire Hurney?

EVERY team in this league can do what you just did. Using hindsight as your justification for bad choices. The last time I went down and checked. (before 2010 season, I believe) Carolina was second only to the New York Giants in number of players drafted who were still on active rosters.. Not necessarily still a Panther.

Free Agency I am about 50/50 with you. Lucas was a good pick-up for us. Too bad we had Mike Prozac (Togovac) as our DC.

Just for fun.....who would you recommend as our new GM if you had your wish to fire Hurney?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_DeCosta

Yes, Lucas' first year was probowl caliber then just went downhill from there.

I think Lucas was more or less a scapegoat. Didn't fit in and was expensive.

But the Safety play his last year hung him out to dry...he never got the help was suppose to be getting...Opponents picked on Godfrey and Lucas was often blamed by the fans.

Archived