• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Debt Collection Question

Brokenbad

I have never had a debt collector call me until today.

I was told I owe money to a whack ass school I attended.

I never took out a student loan, but I supposedly owe money to the school for classes I did not pass or finish.

Can a debt collector call over something that is not a loan? What can I do (besides pay) to get them to leave me alone?

I am new to all of this.

First off, if you don't believe that you incurred a debt to them I would ask them to see the document where you signed that you would pay them money. If they claim they will sue you then they will have to be able to prove the debt to a judge. If they cant produce the proof then tell them to fug off.

If you acknowledge the debt then negotiate. You can probably get them down to 50 cents on the dollar.

First off, if you don't believe that you incurred a debt to them I would ask them to see the document where you signed that you would pay them money. If they claim they will sue you then they will have to be able to prove the debt to a judge. If they cant produce the proof then tell them to fug off.

If you acknowledge the debt then negotiate. You can probably get them down to 50 cents on the dollar.

I had an old credit card bill that was around 4k....I had to settle it in order for the bank to give us the loan for our house...I called them and told them I was about to file for bankruptcy (a lie, obviously) and that I wanted to get them paid...they took $1,000

unfortunately, I did not listen to my father's advice on not fuging your credit up. I am now good to go, but it took many years to get there

oh and whoever tells you that Medical bills don't go on there, they lie

If you have a smartphone save them as a contact like "Dontanswer" and then set that contact to go straight to voicemail every time. If it's something petty and cheap just pay it if they have not already hit your credit. If it is an actual collections company fug em and don't pay them a penny, the damage to your score has already been done.

NEVER...EVER...NEVER talk to these yips over the phone. If they can't send it in writing, it's not legit.

Go to creditboards.com and do some more homework. Most of these companies just try to bully people into paying stuff that is phantom or zombie debt(yes I just said zombie debt).

Good luck

if it's gone to a debt collector, it's on your credit already

you can negotiate on what you "owe" them...I've done it a few times

and no, until you pay them...they will call you

Not necessarily.

I had roommates in college that screwed me over. They ruined the carpet in their rooms and the apartment complex gave us a $1000 bill. They refused to pay and I didn't have any money at the time so I just didn't pay it.

About 6 months later I had a debt collector call me. He set me up on a payment plan and told me as long as I just paid something to them each month they wouldn't wouldn't report it to the credit agencies.

I just had my credit pulled when I bought a house four months ago and it was not on there.

I had an old credit card bill that was around 4k....I had to settle it in order for the bank to give us the loan for our house...I called them and told them I was about to file for bankruptcy (a lie, obviously) and that I wanted to get them paid...they took $1,000

unfortunately, I did not listen to my father's advice on not fuging your credit up. I am now good to go, but it took many years to get there

oh and whoever tells you that Medical bills don't go on there, they lie

So you settled a small debt for less because you could not afford to pay the balance...yet then entered into a larger debt.

And people wonder why we gave a financial crisis.

If you have a smartphone save them as a contact like "Dontanswer" and then set that contact to go straight to voicemail every time. If it's something petty and cheap just pay it if they have not already hit your credit. If it is an actual collections company fug em and don't pay them a penny, the damage to your score has already been done.

How about actually adhering to the contract that you entered into. People wonder why banks are raising fees. It is this exact mentality of don't worry about paying your bills.

People bitch about how evil a bank is for foreclosing on a home. Yet, the indiv is the one breaching the contract. Banks give you money and you agree to pay it back...it is pretty simple. How would you feel if you made the payments and they did not give you what you paid for? Because that us exactly what you are saying to do.

It is sad that people wear defaulting on an obligation as some form of badge of honor. No wonder our economy and society is going into the crapper.

Archived