• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Steve Smith was in Pepp's situation right now...

Zod

You have to be kidding me. Wes Welker and Brandon Marshall better than Steve Smith? That is just laughable, Smitty strikes more fear in DC's hearts than those 2 put together. DC's have to create a separate game plan just to try and contain him, Randy Moss is the only other WR that is as dangerous. I'll say Fitz is better right now but Smitty is as good as anyone else. Wes Welker? lolol that's hilarious.

Yea Wes Welker ahead of him is a joke...hes a top 20 receiver MAYBE. Patriots just do a great job of moving him around in the slot and finding favorable matchups like LB's ETC. Move him to the outside and toss Aso on him and he would be invisable

Yea Wes Welker ahead of him is a joke...hes a top 20 receiver MAYBE. Patriots just do a great job of moving him around in the slot and finding favorable matchups like LB's ETC. Move him to the outside and toss Aso on him and he would be invisable

And anyone who truly knows the game of football understands this.

Everyone is on Fitz's nuts because of the playoffs. Smith was the most productive WR in the NFL last season despite missing two games. If anyone deserves some love after last season its Andre Johnson as he was the number 1 ranked WR, plus he and Smith do not play in pass happy offenses(especially Andre) compared to Fitz. Wes Welker only dominates the slot position.

Smith wouldn't be in this situation because he sees things differently than Peppers. Seems to me that Peppers is all about himself. Team and loyalty seem to take a backseat. We could settle for fair which would suggest that he gives us this year to make up for 2007. It isn't like he won't be paid a ton, likely the top yearly salary in the league.

Smith is alot of things but he is loyal and has made the transition from self interest to team player. Seems he appreciates what we have and how he fits into the plan. He wants to be here and bring us a championship. Not bail to another team to chase supposed greener pastures.

I would hope if Peppers does come back here, he is a little more humble and appreciative of what he has.

Smitty's great. Definitely top 5. But there is no doubt Fitzgerald is the best WR in the game today...

Fitzgerald JUST learned how to properly play receiver. Steve has been doing it at the top for 6 or 7 years now. You also have to factor in the other 2 best receivers in the league, Moss and Fitzgerald have 2 future HOFs throwing to them.

TO the OP zod..i don’t know about all the teams that would want smith..even with the huge numbers he puts up..Everybody still wants to put him in a box because of his size..Just put him in the slot..It amazes me how stupid people can be sometimes but I hear it all the time..

Smith wouldn't be in this situation because he sees things differently than Peppers. Seems to me that Peppers is all about himself. Team and loyalty seem to take a backseat. We could settle for fair which would suggest that he gives us this year to make up for 2007. It isn't like he won't be paid a ton, likely the top yearly salary in the league.

Smith is alot of things but he is loyal and has made the transition from self interest to team player. Seems he appreciates what we have and how he fits into the plan. He wants to be here and bring us a championship. Not bail to another team to chase supposed greener pastures.

I would hope if Peppers does come back here, he is a little more humble and appreciative of what he has.

Peppers and Moose are good examples of players that are out for themselves. Moose knows now that the Grass is not all that green but Peppers dose not and is prob gonna go the same path as Moose.

Saw a few people compare the situations with Edwards and Boldin. Technically those are not quite the same circumstances since both are under contract and seeking trade. Neither is a free agent.

As to the premise, I don't know about the size of the offer, but you can bet there would have been one.

Well, of course everyone will put Smith as a top 3 guy. Thats a given...

1. Larry Fitzgerald

2. Calvin Johnson

3. Andre Johnson

4. Randy Moss

5. Wes Welker (Been more consistent, even without Brady)

6. Brandon Marshall

7. Steve Smith

So, yea... Smith falls all the way to #7 minimum. Those guys above him are more talented but Smith is still a top 10.

Differences between smith and welker

With Welker

HoF coach who always finds the right players to fit his system. HoF WR playing right next to him requiring double/triple coverage. Hof QB throwing to him. HoF's out the ass!!!! An essential cog in the pats machine.

Plays on a passing team with a great D.

Came into the leauge undrafted and didn't start as a WR. Plays return man well but not elite. Very versitle.

Is an all out footballer, loves the game and is a man all coaches want to have.

He's a system WR who is playing for the best coach in the NFL, he fits the system perfectly thus he does very well. How many Pats players have the same success they have post-bellichick? How "consistent" will he be then?

With Smith

Good Coach who makes sure he gets his touches. Above-average to horrible WRs playing next to him leaving him double/triple covered. Average QB throwing to him, but a QB who also is addicted to him. Has carried the team on his back an single handedly taken over games in the playoffs and regular season. Also has many crucial catches and TDs.

Plays on a run first team with a below-average D, every now and then a great D.

Came into the leauge drafted in the 3rd round and made probowl as returnman, wasn't done since 1993 and wasn't done again until devin hester. Also had better stats coming up with comaparable QBs. When he has had terrible QBs he's had better stats.

Scored TDs the first time he ever touched the ball in preseason and regular season in his rookie season. Just a fun little fact.

Has way more raw talent, you can't deny it. Flat out wrong if you think anything different.

Simmilarities

Smith plays well in the slot but also plays wide, welker is primarily a slot reciever. They both see plenty of favorable match ups in games.

They are both YAC recievers and the NFL lists them at the same size.

They both play in offenses where they are essential parts of the offense and guarranteed touches. Although welker plays in a pass based offense while smith see's less oppurtunities due to a run based offense.

It's hard to debate the top 5 recievers in the leauge because they have different skills sets. I'd say smith floats around there along with all the others and he's definatley not #1.

But by putting steve smith at #7 you prove that you are either:

a misinformed fan who knows little of the game he bewildering adores

OR

a troll who enjoys stalking message boards for reasons I do not care to know. For some reason you enjoy annoying people and watching the response for entertainment. There has got to be a better way to entertain yourself. I will not give in and call you names or insult you, I just reccomend you try something that's more fun for everybody.

Wouldn't it be more fun to discuss things with fellow bucs fans? Then everynow and then pop over to opposing teams message boards and debate with them using informed opinions and facts around the time you guys play eachother(or only post in forums for smack talk). Maybe you could try spending less time on these boards also, find some other ways to spend your time because 1,000 posts just isn't healthy.

I think smith had the benefit of having to work a little harder to get where he is and also being in a few different enviroments. He also had to overcome adversity a few times, he's had situations that made him take a long hard look at himself.

I think peppers has been so successful throughout his life that even though he's not a premadonna by any means, he still may see things from a bit of a skewed perspective. I think he had a mid life crisis of sorts and has really handled it badly, hopefully it turns out well.

Fitzgerald JUST learned how to properly play receiver. Steve has been doing it at the top for 6 or 7 years now. You also have to factor in the other 2 best receivers in the league, Moss and Fitzgerald have 2 future HOFs throwing to them.

How interesting.

Fitzgerald is still the best WR in the league today.

Archived