• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt: Patriots "lurking" in the Peppers saga

Mr. Scot

The Boston Herald reports that the Patriots are "considering" offering the Raiders future second- and third-round picks for DE Derrick Burgess.

New England and Oakland have done business before, but Al Davis may hesitate this time after getting swindled in the Randy Moss deal two years ago. Still, the offer is more than fair and the Pats definitely can use the pass rush help. Burgess would play weak outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme.

Second and a third for Derrick Burgess? :confused:

Seriously...Burgess? :shocked:

Burgess from a couple years ago maybe, but Burgess now? :sosp:

If they'd pay that for Burgess, what would they give for Julius?

You want a conspiracy theory? Here's one. The Pats can't sit down and talk turkey with the Panthers right now because - despite dropping the "sign your tender dummy" hint on Peppers and his agent - the paperwork still isn't done.

But what they could do is float an offer for another player in the media to give the Panthers an idea of what they'd be willing to pay if a deal could be worked out (and if Nimrod Carey would just take the hint).

Win-win situation really. The Panthers could call Carey in and say "look, here's what they'd likely offer" based on the report. If Julius still doesn't sign his deal then the Pats could go ahead and trade for Burgess (probably for less than the report) as if that was their intent all along.

All speculation, obviously. But it's possible.

Don't entirely agree. I'd have to look it up to get the exact numbers, but as I recall they paid decent coin to Adalius Thomas when they acquired him as a free agent.

Talk at the time, based on potential and contract numbers, was that he'd become one of the most dominant players in the league. And while he's been good, he hasn't realistically lived up to what was projected at the time he signed his deal.

They're willing to pay sometimes, and I also think it's possible they'd dump someone current (Richard Seymour or another guy) for Julius.

Thomas's contract in 2007 was a 5 year deal for 35 million total with 20 million guaranteed. So that is 7 million a year. Given we were offering 80 million for 6 years with 35 guaranteed (or something close to that), seems he would have to be real serious when he says it isn't about the money. That would be less than half of what he was offered here and his total guaranteed money would be equal to what he will get for 2009 alone here. Besides unless they put a poison pill in there we will definitely match that deal.

But even if the terms were worked out financially, the Patriots won't trade us for anything close to what we would be asking. Don't see how a deal could be swung.

You want a conspiracy theory? Here's one. The Pats can't sit down and talk turkey with the Panthers right now because - despite dropping the "sign your tender dummy" hint on Peppers and his agent - the paperwork still isn't done.

But what they could do is float an offer for another player in the media to give the Panthers an idea of what they'd be willing to pay if a deal could be worked out (and if Nimrod Carey would just take the hint).

Win-win situation really. The Panthers could call Carey in and say "look, here's what they'd likely offer" based on the report. If Julius still doesn't sign his deal then the Pats could go ahead and trade for Burgess (probably for less than the report) as if that was their intent all along.

i think your on target here. throw out another serious offer to another team for another DE or OLB and let that and the burgess offer be the ball park for what they are willing to do. if they can't get peppers then they still get an upgrade at DE/OLB.

If peppers really wants to go to new england, he knows what it is going to take. new england is serious about wanting to upgrade at the position and i think that they are serious about wanting peppers. most likely, though, they want to have carolina involved in the discussions. easier to get a deal done if they are. it's on peppers shoulders to get the panthers involved in it if he truly wants to go. he should know by now that the panthers aren't going to be letting him go without getting something significant in return and have no problem keeping him if they can't get that. peppers also have to know that the pats want to work with a team to get what they want and are willing to give up a good bit to get what they want but they aren't limiting themselves to just one prospect.

That is predicated on the idea that the Panthers want to trade Peppers. As this goes along I am not convinced that they are. So no matter what deal gets floated, it may get nixed by Hurney anyway.

Until Peppers signs his tender it doesn't look like we will get to test anyone's theory.

That is predicated on the idea that the Panthers want to trade Peppers. As this goes along I am not convinced that they are. So no matter what deal gets floated, it may get nixed by Hurney anyway.

Until Peppers signs his tender it doesn't look like we will get to test anyone's theory.

i think if they were offered 2 firsts or even a 1st and a 2nd they might bite but they have very little reason to give into less than that. they want him here and it is going to take a lot for them to part ways with him.

^^^^^ I bet not many of them care as long as he does his job and doesn't half-ass it because he doesn't want to be in Carolina.

I dont know-

I am sure some of the younger guys will question his motor (and rightfully so) considering he said he doesnt want to be here.

just sayin.....

The article I read on PFT and the one that boston.com is referencing is saying they would trade a 2nd OR a 3rd next year for Burgess (not both).

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/19/pats-interested-in-trading-for-derrick-burgess/

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/05/report_pats_con.html

Archived