• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton #1 Scrooge in the NFL

Car123

By Adam Schein

http://www.nfl.com/n...=Twitter_Schein

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to our great readers.

It's also important to remember the NFL fans going through a classic case of "Bah, humbug!" at this time of year.

In the latest edition of The Schein Nine, I've collected the NFL's biggest "Scrooges" (if you will). Note: We rightly beat up the Detroit Lions last Thursday (pretty good timing, considering how they were flattened by the Atlanta Falcons on Saturday), so I will leave them out of this list.

1) Cam Newton

The sad thing is, before the clueless, irresponsible, and disgraceful player-kicking and ref-intimidating incidents on Sunday, Newton was playing his best ball of the season. But this is the problem with Cam Newton: He cannot get out of his own way. It's the body language. It's the zany press conferences. It's the maniacal touchdown celebrations when the Carolina Panthers are losing big during this awful season of underachievement.

For the record, I think Newton can be saved. I think Ron Rivera should be replaced; the right structure-oriented coach with the right offensive system can help Newton. But Newton has to become a better leader this offseason, handling the "fifth quarter" of being an NFL quarterback with true aplomb. Study Tony Romo's growth with the Dallas Cowboys in these areas. It's possible.

It can't get worse. His 2012 season has been a public regression and a black eye. Newton needs to understand the difference between perception and reality.

ignorance illustrated. newton behaved badly during last sunday's game, but all the other stuff is bleating talking points requiring no thought or research whatsoever. criticism of cam would be received so much better by many panthers fans if it came within a thoughtful analysis, and not desperate attempts to further storylines that are not related to reality.

I didn't know Scrooge loved to donates hundreds of thousands of dollars to kids and school.

This is exactly the type of drool that makes me hate the NFL.com articles. If I were Cam I'd be pissed that the league itself tears my image down while profiting from my play.

The Raiders make any team stoop to their ugly playing level. Cam had a tough time, sure, but he was facing a team that was going after him. He'll learn from his mistakes.

Absolutely no mention of his remorse and apologies afterwards for his actions towards the ref. Ignorant article written by an ignorant writer.

Archived