• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Very Nice Press Conference by Cam

chknwing

+ 1. I thought the same thing

I don't know a lot about analyzing body language but he hung his head, avoided eye contact most of the time, and just seemed a little deflated considering he just won a road game against and division rival. Maybe it's the uncertainty of whether he just coached his last game for the Panthers instead of already knowing he's out.

Rivera is an emotional guy. He isn't the type to show it very much though. He doesn't like to jump up an down for the media after a great win. It's understandable that he would be emotional after a win like that. doesn't mean he is worrying about getting fired. I promise you that was the last thing on his mind there after a win like that.

I've never had a problem with him after losses. I never want him to accept losing. Does he need to get a little better at internalizing that frustration and putting on a better show for the media sometimes? Yeah, he does. But I always want him to feel what he shows in those pressers after a loss - pissed off and unwilling to settle for failure.

I've never had a problem with him after losses. I never want him to accept losing. Does he need to get a little better at internalizing that frustration and putting on a better show for the media sometimes? Yeah, he does. But I always want him to feel what he shows in those pressers after a loss - pissed off and unwilling to settle for failure.

Exactly.

Speaking classes are one solution. Winning more is another. I'll take the latter.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not intimating that he isn't smart or well educated. He just doesn't seem manage extemporaneous speaking well and as a result it makes his interviews and press conferences seem strained.

Lol. The irony. And you had time to think that through and then proofread it.

At least you threw in the big word you just learned. :thumbsu:

I want to give a quick story about being well spoken in those types of situations.

I like to think that I am at best moderately intelligent and at worst just not a complete fugging idiot. IRL I am a pretty confident person who is fairly gregarious and I am not shy about being in front of people.

In high school I was a pretty good basketball player. Good enough for WRAL (local news station here in Raleigh) to come out and do a feature on me. The local sports anchor and I got together to do an pre-taped interview for the evening news.

Welp, they put a camera about a foot away from my face and throw a microphone a couple of inches away from my mouth and ask me some silly little simple question. And all I provided was a long, protracted, awkward silence. I just could not form any coherent thought. The news anchor cut and said "Don't worry. Just relax. When we edit it you will sound fine" It didn't help much. He asked questions and I pretty much sputtered out sentence fragments for the entire interview. Luckily the anchor was a man of his word and once edited it was at least passable for the evening news.

As I went through college and did more and more interviews I eventually got better at them. But people underestimate how hard it is to go out there and form intelligent, thoughtful answers right there on the spot. Thank God my interview was not live or else people would have wondered how I was passing any of my classes in high school.

So basically, being well spoken is overrated. I try to listen to what people are saying, not how they are saying it. I have met well spoken idiots and shy geniuses. The content is more important than the delivery.

Archived