• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Second City Mock - Updated 3-21-13

Catalyst

Updated after the re-signing of Captain Munnerlyn and the addition of Mike Mitchell/Drayton Florence, and D.J. Moore. I'm also going to assume here that we add a kicker in free agency before the draft. There are several out there that are solid and should come relatively cheap. No need to burn a draft pick on one, IMO.

I have a feeling, based on Gettleman's previous comments about setting us up to take the BPA, that the moves we've made at CB mean we likely won't be drafting one early this year.

The trade I worked out this time is with Minnesota. They now have two 1st rounders thanks to the Harvin trade so they wouldn't be shy about using a 2nd rounder (plus a 7th) to move up and take a falling DT such as Sheldon Richardson, Jonathan Hankins, or possibly another WR to pair with Greg Jennings. We can get a solid DT/OL/WR at 25 and use the extra 2nd rounder to address the other two positions.

1st (f/SEA via MIN): John Jenkins, DT, UGA - Some might say this is a reach, but late in the 1st round I don't see it that way. The value on the players taken from 25th overall to the middle of round 2 will all be very similar and Jenkins is exactly the type of player we need. Georgia players have generally transitioned well to the NFL and if Jenkins can follow suit our defense will be much better for it.

2nd: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech - One of my favorite overall WR prospects in this draft. I know some here are all over Justin Hunter, but he's likely to be gone by this pick and Patton will, IMO, go higher than most mocks have him. Not that it matters, though, as I feel confident he's going to significantly out-perform his draft position anywhere in the 2nd round.

2nd (f/MIN): Kyle Long, OT/OG, Oregon - It's tough to say who will still be available in the late 2nd, but it's a pretty safe bet that we'll have a crack at a solid OL prospect. Here, I'll go with Kyle Long, who can play either right tackle or either guard spot, giving us a lot of flexibility along the OL along with a pretty clear upgrade.

4th: Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma - At this juncture you can't count on a player coming in and starting from day one, but given our awful safety situation Jefferson might just be an upgrade - possibly a big one. If nothing else he'd give us some safety depth.

5th: Steve Williams, CB, California - While I don't see Gettleman using an early pick on a CB, it's hard to imagine us not adding one at some point in the draft. Steve Williams had a great combine and might very well not make it to the 5th round, but if he does he'd be a solid pick. I'm sure Rivera has taken notice given the Cal connection.

6th: Josh Boyd, DT, Mississippi State - Despite drafting John Jenkins early in this mock, we could still use more DT depth and taking a flyer this late always has the chance to result in a stud - just look at Greg Hardy.

7th (f/MIN): Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas - It's tough to say who will still be available in the 7th round, but it never hurts to add OL depth and Hawkinson has some potential as a developmental player at right tackle.

Nowhere near that. He's currently projected a borderline 1st/2nd round pick. With so many DT's in that projected range he stands a good chance of slipping if the handful of teams who need DT's opt to go with the many other options available. And like I said, if he is gone, that should mean that someone else at DT is available.

Where is the dam CB? The 6th round are you serious?

Do you people not understand that there is a good chance we could lose Captain and Gamble and only have Thomas, Norman, and Dockery on the roster. It's crazy that some of you are good with that poo.

Cb is a bigger need then WR.

Where is the dam CB? The 6th round are you serious?

Do you people not understand that there is a good chance we could lose Captain and Gamble and only have Thomas, Norman, and Dockery on the roster. It's crazy that some of you are good with that poo.

Cb is a bigger need then WR.

You do realize if you have a stout DLine you can have pretty much anybody in the secondary right? Thomas was probably our best CB out there and he balled out, Norman is a 5th round rookie out of a DII school facing some of the best WR in the league and he did pretty good for what he is (plus they didn't use him to his strengths), Dockery played alright (I'd have him coming off the bench) he made some pretty good plays every now and then.

So what I'm saying is I don't believe we should look for a CB until the 4th, 5th, or 6th round unless there is a sure fire #1 CB out there.

deep DT class. Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, Kawaan Short, Sharrif Floyd, Jonthan Hankins and Jon Jenkins and now with Brandon Williams getting looked at as a 2nd rounder at least 1 of those will be there.

Yep...and any one of those guys would be an up grade over 4/5 our current DTs.

Archived