• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

teams weren't offering much for williams

I like Tauren Poole and Armond Smith more than I do Kenjon, the guy runs scared.

They may be the better true RBs at this point. But I think Barners ability as a pass catcher/option/STs guy is where his advantage will be.

Sucks that when talking about DeAngelo we have to listen to a bunch of cap bs, discussions about how he's old, speculation that the team doesn't need him, and how we need to clear his contract money. Dude has been a great team player and hasn't shown the ability drop off and obviously plays his heart out. I choose to let the chips fall where they may, but it would be nice to see him retire a panther with his head held high. Quality player.

I prefer to get back to.that point where the Panthers arent run like a 10 yr olds Madden Franchise and pay players like we have half a brain.

DWill has almost 30million reasons to hold his head high.

Williams is second player in NFL history to 5000 ydswith less than 1000 carries. His abilities have not diminished. The only thing that diminished was Chudinksi brain cells on our offense. Williams and Stewart are important parts of a power offense. Shula will show why we are keeping him in 2013. I give it less than 25% chance he is not a Panther next season.

I guess what amazes me the most is how quickly our fan base will dump a GOOD player. How many players has this forum given up on any yet they were still productive. Hardly anyone wants to believe that his production drop off was more a Offensive coordinator game plan then ability.

Williams will be productive and I hope we retain him for the duration of his career.

wow this contract extension just keeps looking better and better doesn't it

At least 1 of the guys responsible for the stupid move are no longer making decisions for this team (Richardson still is, but at least Hurney is gone).

I love DeWill, but it was not a smart extension knowing that Stewart was the future. 

Speaking of Hurney being gone...we may actually see good DL play come back to the team again!

Williams is second player in NFL history to 5000 ydswith less than 1000 carries. His abilities have not diminished. The only thing that diminished was Chudinksi brain cells on our offense. Williams and Stewart are important parts of a power offense. Shula will show why we are keeping him in 2013. I give it less than 25% chance he is not a Panther next season.

I guess what amazes me the most is how quickly our fan base will dump a GOOD player. How many players has this forum given up on any yet they were still productive. Hardly anyone wants to believe that his production drop off was more a Offensive coordinator game plan then ability.

Williams will be productive and I hope we retain him for the duration of his career.

Williams isn't that guy from 2008 anymore...that is fandom. Steve Smith, same thing, he isn't even the guy from 2008, let alone 2005.

Yeah, Williams is good. But it is about building a football team. Adrian Peterson is good too....and having him on this team wouldn't really do much for us bc of all the RBs we already don't touch the ball enough. Tom Brady and Petyton wouldn't be "awesome" together on the same team. One ball. Poor job of spreading talent around.

Too many get caught up in this being about Williams. It isn't, it is about not paying guys huge chunks of money that watch from the sideline very frequently. A lesser player at a position of NEED can have a greater impact overall on this team

Williams isn't that guy from 2008 anymore...that is fandom. Steve Smith, same thing, he isn't even the guy from 2008, let alone 2005.

Yeah, Williams is good. But it is about building a football team. Adrian Peterson is good too....and having him on this team wouldn't really do much for us bc of all the RBs we already don't touch the ball enough. Tom Brady and Petyton wouldn't be "awesome" together on the same team. One ball. Poor job of spreading talent around.

Too many get caught up in this being about Williams. It isn't, it is about not paying guys huge chunks of money that watch from the sideline very frequently. A lesser player at a position of NEED can have a greater impact overall on this team

Very well said.

Create several million in cap space....which means a starting caliber vet could be added ( which wouldnt be a Ted Ginn caliber guy).

Not much risk at all, just simply eating some money....and if they would rather eat more money vs waiting year.

Stewart, Tolbert, <insert whoever, Smith, rookie>, plus what Cam brings is top 5 caliber Rush attack and much more potent than what most of the league is working with.

I never get why it is risky not to have a super stud backup at RB...

could probably get a starting CB/S

It isn't about getting caught up in Williams it is about keeping a quality back and stop believing with the plug and play theory. Not every player is going to give you 5 ypc.(4.9 Career) I know we are building a team for the future and either Williams or Stewart will be apart of it. In 2013 they both will be on the roster.

Not going to argue with you over money. Bottom line is we are not going to dump him. There is not one positive thing that comes out of cutting him. If we trade him then we are stuck with the remainder of his signing bonus. He isn't a June 1st cut cause we could have let him go and labeled him a June 1st cut months ago. After 2013 season we might let him go, trade him or whatever.

This team will need a quality running back preferably two. Tolbert is not what I consider a back that can take over for what Williams does. I am definitely not counting on the rookie.

Once again. You will see a more balanced offense and Williams will be a huge part of it.

He hardly has any mileage on those legs since being in the NFL (compared to Michael Turner or other feature backs) age should have nothing to do with it.

Its just the fact RB aren't worth poo and we are paying him like hes AP - Getting Barner in the 6th further shows RBs are a dime a dozen, and good ones too

when people say he has a lot of mileage, they aren't just referring to his NFL career...  

Everyone tends to forget D money had 200+ yards in the final game of the season. The dude can still ball, it won't do us much good to cut him this year anyways so we might as well keep him on our roster.

lol...  

It isn't about getting caught up in Williams it is about keeping a quality back and stop believing with the plug and play theory. Not every player is going to give you 5 ypc.(4.9 Career) I know we are building a team for the future and either Williams or Stewart will be apart of it. In 2013 they both will be on the roster.

Not going to argue with you over money. Bottom line is we are not going to dump him. There is not one positive thing that comes out of cutting him. If we trade him then we are stuck with the remainder of his signing bonus. He isn't a June 1st cut cause we could have let him go and labeled him a June 1st cut months ago. After 2013 season we might let him go, trade him or whatever.

This team will need a quality running back preferably two. Tolbert is not what I consider a back that can take over for what Williams does. I am definitely not counting on the rookie.

Once again. You will see a more balanced offense and Williams will be a huge part of it.

30 yo RB's not named Adrian Peterson are not worth the kind of money the DWill is getting,

I live DWilland he has been a great player for the Panthers. But, smart teams know when it is time to let an aging and over priced player go.

I already told you one positve....it creates usable cap space to bring in talent at a position of need.

This team has a quality RB, Stewart. They also have Tolbert. They all can plug tons of options they can choose from in Poole, Smith, Poole. They also have the most dangerous runner in the NFL to accent the rush attack in Newton..

The multi- million dollar Williams isn't a need nor is our ground attack dependent upon him to be great at this stage. Would you rather have a million dollar backup clapping on the sidelines or exchange that for a quality S that is going to be a liability all season as an example.

Archived