• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

teams weren't offering much for williams

and apparently, there wasn't much interest in him either...

rotoworld...

According to the Charlotte Observer, the "one or two teams" that called the Panthers about DeAngelo Williams prior to last year's NFL trade deadline "weren't offering much."
Williams has a big salary and declining ability, and he turned 30 in April. It's not surprising the Panthers were unable to get anything for him. Rookie GM Dave Gettleman was recently noncommittal on Williams' 2013 roster spot. The Panthers would take a cap hit to release Williams, and probably wouldn't even consider it until they see rookie Kenjon Barner perform well in padded practices.

Recently noncommittal....

I do think Williams is a June 1 cut. Sure we take a cap hit but cap room at the same time is created....allowing us to bring in a decent cut player once teams start practicing (preferably in the secondary).

But we need Stewart and Tolbert to be health in camp with the rookie looking decent

Sucks that when talking about DeAngelo we have to listen to a bunch of cap bs, discussions about how he's old, speculation that the team doesn't need him, and how we need to clear his contract money. Dude has been a great team player and hasn't shown the ability drop off and obviously plays his heart out. I choose to let the chips fall where they may, but it would be nice to see him retire a panther with his head held high. Quality player.

Sucks that when talking about DeAngelo we have to listen to a bunch of cap bs, discussions about how he's old, speculation that the team doesn't need him, and how we need to clear his contract money. Dude has been a great team player and hasn't shown the ability drop off and obviously plays his heart out. I choose to let the chips fall where they may, but it would be nice to see him retire a panther with his head held high. Quality player.

Just because we want the overall betterment of the team (cap money going to positions of major need) doesn't mean we don't appreciate everything that DeAngelo has done. I'm a huge fan of his (as a person and a player).

I'd be shocked and amazed if Williams is cut before camp. Too much risk with almost nothing to be gained.

The most probable thing is this is his last year as a Panther.

Create several million in cap space....which means a starting caliber vet could be added ( which wouldnt be a Ted Ginn caliber guy).

Not much risk at all, just simply eating some money....and if they would rather eat more money vs waiting year.

Stewart, Tolbert, <insert whoever, Smith, rookie>, plus what Cam brings is top 5 caliber Rush attack and much more potent than what most of the league is working with.

I never get why it is risky not to have a super stud backup at RB...

Archived