• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scathing article about Beason and his contract

JawnyBlaze

Unless you've ever voluntarily asked for a payout because your job duties changed, your opinion on this matter is not valid.

Don't blame someone for getting what they can on a contract. If you hate the contract, hate the people paying it. Not collecting it.

Happens all the time when your value in the industry you work in isn't as much as you think it is.

So your company is paying you (for an example) $100,000 per year, but they don't want to pay that to you anymore.  They want you to take a paycut.  If they fire you, you'll be able to make $35,000 a year at most at a new job.

So do you keep your hands on that $100,000 and then make $35,000 a year for the next 4 years ($240,000 total minus moving costs)?

Or do you take the paycut with the company that's willing to keep you at $70,000 per year for this year as well as the next 4 years ($350,000 total and no dislocation)?

You don't think that happens in the real world?  I can assure you that it does.  When your employer has leverage, they use it.

An OLB with the most leadership ability on the entire team?

Yep.

Also, he can play all three LB positions should one of the other guys get injured.

Ain't a single player on this team worth what Beason is making right now.

Not.

One.

No reasonable fan is worried about what it saves on the now! It's about wiping his mega base salary off the books for next year and the year after! So we can lock down Hardy and Cam, extend Luke and pursue some FAs

To wipe his contract off the books completely we cut him now and 16 million dollars hit the cap.

June 1st cut, 8  million hits this year and 8 million next year.  

We're paying that no matter what.  He's making 9.6 million this year so we're basically keeping him because too much money would hit the cap if we cut him and he's worth more to us playing than cutting since we're paying anyway.

I don't think you understand how the cap works.

Ain't a single player on this team worth what Beason is making right now.

Not.

One.

doesnt matter if he's worth it now or not it, he didnt hold a gun to the Panthers head and tell them to sign or else, they signed him to a comtract and he's holding them to it, don't forget the NFL is a business and would screw over any and every player if the situation worked out in their favor

To wipe his contract off the books completely we cut him now and 16 million dollars hit the cap.

We're paying that no matter what.  He's making 9.6 million this year so we're basically keeping him because too much money would hit the cap if we cut him and he's worth more to us playing than cutting since we're paying anyway.

I knew there were consequences, which is why we haven't approached him. It's not as simple as telling Beason "here sign this" and everything is puppies and unicorns.

Happens all the time when your value in the industry you work in isn't as much as you think it is.

So your company is paying you (for an example) $100,000 per year, but they don't want to pay that to you anymore. They want you to take a paycut. If they fire you, you'll be able to make $35,000 a year at most at a new job.

So do you keep your hands on that $100,000 and then make $35,000 a year for the next 4 years ($240,000 total minus moving costs)?

Or do you take the paycut with the company that's willing to keep you at $70,000 per year for this year as well as the next 4 years ($350,000 total and no dislocation)?

You don't think that happens in the real world? I can assure you that it does. When your employer has leverage, they use it.

the NFL isn't the real world though and don't forget that, they are apples to oranges in how they operate never blame a player for what he makes because every contract could be his last because of the constant looming of career ending injuries, that's the reason the contracts are there.

Who said anything about cutting him, but rest assured that if it comes to that then it will be a June 1st cut.

Point is, he is hogging too much room at the feed trough and something has to give! Something will give

the NFL isn't the real world though and don't forget that, they are apples to oranges in how they operate never blame a player for what he makes because every contract could be his last because of the constant looming of career ending injuries, that's the reason the contracts are there.

Agreed.  The nature of injuries and non-guaranteed contracts definitely make my comparison non-perfect, that's for sure.

From a broad point of view, it works.

From a detailed point of view, not a perfect match.

Probably should take what he says with a grain of salt that guy absolutely loathes the Panthers and isn't shy about letting everyone know this, he will take any chance to take a shot at the Panthers.

I think everybody can see based on production the past two seasons that Beason is being overpaid, I think other than that fact he's just speculating out of thin air as to the rest of his article.

I wouldn't say he loathes the panthers. He definitely doesn't pull for them as he is some weird baseball New York Yankee fan for whatever that's worth. He is one of those guys who thinks he is smarter than he is and carries a superior attitude that doesn't really fit his station in life. he is mostly piss and vinegar and never really has a positive thing to say. He does however pay attention to what goes on and isn't really in the shock journalism mode. Not to defend him or anything but I know he has been covering this area for a long time and he undoubtedly has sources he trusts. This probably isn't that far off base unfortunately. I don't want to believe it either.

Once more, you can't fault Beason for the contract that was given to him. Until he's asked to take a paycut, there's no argument to be had. Jon earned the contract. Plain and simple.

No, Second-Team counts too. You may not view it so but you aren't in control of what is considered 'significant'. By the by, if you actually bothered to read some of the articles, a few analysts thought that Beason deserved First-Team honours.

Not faulting Beason....I have always argued it is business. Why I think he will take every penny he can and go play MLB somewhere once Carolina is in a postion to address his deal

But it is what it is...and you don't pay an OLB the highest MLB contract in NFL history. Carolina just has zero leverage today.

If 2nd team All Pro counts what about Pro Bowl alternates for bragging rights then....

The Panthers haven't even approached him about taking a pay cut according to Joe Person.  At this point they may not even feel that it's necessary being that they have a reported $9.8 mil in cap space.

Yea, if they haven't approached him then it's no big deal.  And I can fully believe it, because in every other sense and every other case he seems to be a complete class act and stand up guy.  I know the media has approached the subject with him and he's said he wants to earn the money on his contract (implying he doesn't want to restructure) but that doesn't mean he'd be unwilling to.

Guest HelloWorld

For a team with the defense as its signature I don't think a great player like Beaston is that expendable. It all depends on how we win or lose this year. If we hold offenses to 17-20 points, we need to keep that nucleus.

Archived