• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rosenthal's write-up on Cam Newton

Mage

Please do not turn this into a discussion of where he should be ranked or not, but I am sure it will happen.  This is more about the write up itself.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207213/article/top-10-quarterbacks-25-and-under-cam-newton

Don't believe this has been posted yet (but mentioned in one thread).  Anyway, this is in my opinion the best and most accurate write up I have ever seen by a media guy on Cam Newton.  It is spot on from how he is inconsistent from play to play to other things and it is clear he took the time to watch him play.  Even though he is fourth, he still believes Newton is the toughest QB to defend when/if he strings everything together.  Also pointed out what many of us have said - Chud's offense was all or nothing.  The one where he was tackled for a safety was the most telling.  In a way, based off the write-up, it sort of reminds me of LeBron James.  Entering the NBA, he wasn't as technically sound as others but like the article noted at the end, could still be productive as he refined his skills.  He's become a much better post player and his decision making and passing on the court is often times wonderful.  

Your thoughts on it?

it's a semi-fair assessment, although it seems to be a little harsh on cam in some regards.

i'm having trouble figuring out who is in this guy's top 3... luck, rg3 and who?

my list would be as follows:

1. cam (unmatched and unprecedented physical traits, star power, confidence and puts up retarded numbers with still tons of room to grow)

2. luck (as much hate as some of you guys give him, he looked very impressive last year.)

3. wilson (straight up baller, just limited by his size)

4. stafford (2 5000 yard seasons before the age of 25)

5. rg3 (i don't think he will hold up in the nfl)

also, lebron was an incredibly skilled player coming out of highschool, he wasn't one of those guys that relies purely on athleticism.

This is a rather apologetic approach to Newton. I agree with the overall scope of what he is saying, but I think it is (and this goes for all assessments of young QBs) really unfair to evaluate a QB without taking into account all conditions.  Cam got better when SIlatolu got better and Hangartner had to play center in relief of Kalil.   If you are going to have a vertical passing attack, better protect the QB up the middle.  

Chud was asking Cam to do too much.  Teams forgot about DWill, Tolbert, and Stew because we were not balanced.

What were Cam's problems?  His footwork and high throws.  It is hard to step into the pass when your facemask is pressed firmly against "Hangartner" on the back of a jersey traveling quickly toward you.   We have a vertical passing attack with no true deep threat (Smitty is a 5'9" overachieving slot WR who has been awesome outside) and your coach is not utilizing the run game effectively, your productivity will struggle.

Cam is about to become elite.  The conditions are perfect for it.  Everyone talking about Russell Wilson and RGIII.  Our D giving him more chances and better field position.  Hopefully, a healthy Kalil, a better SIlatolu and Bell, and an upgrade at RG will give Cam the time to show what he can be.

I didn't real the article yet, and going by some of your comments. However, I have some problems with certain assumptions/conclusions that certain reviewers/apologist  make. They're usually afraid to say things, such as:

1) Cam is the best pocket passer out of the young QB's already, despite his inexperience in pro-sets during college. You could say Wilson. However, Wilson was spoon fed and managed carefully most of the year, till he got better, relying on his great defense and running game. Luck, actually had a similar year to Cam's Rookie year with 200 more attempts, a full training camp, better coaching, Cam's scrambling threat, and a much weaker schedule to deal with. 

2) And in depth analysis (as one of the posters mentioned above),  regarding the team around him, and the responsibility Cam had to deal with compared to the others who relied heavily on their coaching, run games and system.It's not even close, when  you consider how Cam put up the numbers he did/does.  As someone said above: His lead receiver, is a 34 yr old, 5'9" munchkin.   

3) That Cam is no more immature, than any one else with his personality traits. This has been so overblown. He never gets in trouble, he's a team player; he owns up for losses and doesn't blame anyone; he works hard, and always wants to get better. These traits are not nearly discussed enough in any assessment. If Cam's coach was a true leader, this element would be a non story. 

I'm NOT OK with Cam being 4 (unless they wanna base it on Team Wins), cause I don't think neither Luck, Wilson, and especially Kaepernick (let's see), and of course  RG3 (Mr. Gimmick Offense) are better than Cam, especially after one year. Except for Luck, Tannehill, and maybe Wilson, none of these guys operated an NFL passing offense, where they were the focus of it. Not even close. 

Anyone, that can have Wilson, Keap, Luck and RG3 DEFINITIVELY ahead of Cam, based off of what we've seen after one year, just don't earn my respect. Some Panther fans here, appear to judge Cam more harshly than necessary. Have they actually watched the other Quarterbacks?? Cause if they did, they would see a lot of issues, with all 4 of the  young QB's above Cam, making them question their higher rankings. 

Sorry. 

What will their rankings be when the others slip, and have significantly worse years (personally or team wise)? You know it's going to happen to one, some, or all of them. 

I like the assessment, not the rating. Cam and Wilson are 1 & 2. Kaepernick should NOT be in the top 6, let alone the top 3. Stafford & RGIII work for 3rd and 4th.

Luck is so incredibly overrated, it's just stupid. His QB rating was worse than Blaine Gabbert's last year. Does nobody realize that? Gabbert is arguably the worst QB that started a game in the past 2-3 years, and Luck's QB rating was lower than his.

Luck has potential and he's a leader, but that can only get him so far. Remember, the Sanchize took his terrible Jets team to the AFC Championship Game his first two years...

seemed pretty fair and reasonable to me. 

he's got room for growth, but isn't far away from being the most dangerous QB in the league. 

That's a simple way of saying "His team is not winning yet, so I reserve the right to place Cam higher when they do, or he puts up even more ridiculous numbers". Lol. 

That doesn't take courage. Far from it. That conclusion's, just 'Business as usual', with a better analysis.

My problem is, after watching Film of RG3, can anyone say he actually ran an NFL offense, and shown he's capable of it, based off of last  year? I say no!!

Luck, was similar performer to Cam, with 11 wins (yeah, we know about his turnovers,  good fortune, crappy schedule, and prior reputation). That's why I could see them placing Luck above Cam. 

Mind you, I didn't read it yet. And I'm going off of what you guys are saying. 

seemed pretty fair and reasonable to me. 

he's got room for growth, but isn't far away from being the most dangerous QB in the league. 

That's a simple way of saying "His team is not winning yet, so I reserve the right to place Cam higher when they do, or he puts up even more ridiculous numbers". Lol. 

That doesn't take courage. Far from it. That conclusion's, just 'Business as usual', with a better analysis.

My problem is, after watching Film of RG3, can anyone say he actually ran an NFL offense, and shown he's capable of it, based off of last  year? I say no!!

Luck, was similar performer to Cam, with 11 wins (yeah, we know about his turnovers,  good fortune, crappy schedule, and prior reputation). That's why I could see them placing Luck above Cam, though I wouldn't necessarily agree with it. 

Mind you, I didn't read it yet. And I'm going off of what you guys are saying. 

Pretty accurately portrays Cam. I think it serves no purpose trying to rank these young QBs as each have excelled in different ways and each had a different supporting cast. example is put any QB in the league behind our line last year and they would have had problems.

My opinion is Cam is the most physically gifted QB in the game which for him is both good and bad.Because of his physical attributes I sometimes feel he rely s on them and may not be as passionate learning the mental makeup of the game.The good thing is that can change  that and when it does he will absolutely dominate.

Archived