• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is Shula simplifying the offense?

SCP

Why are we even worrying  about yards per game?  If you score  35 points a game who cares if you do it with 350 yards or 250??  You get no wins for gaining yards and it isn't that correlated with time of possession.

What will determine the number of yards is opportunities. What increases opportunities is giving the ball back to the offense with stops and turnovers.  The best way to increase the offense is through great defense. 

Tater = option

Mater = pass

Hmmm... this could get tricky... half the offense running one play and half running the other...

I think simple is better... now, that's not saying I want Shula to get all conservative... but you can have one without the other.

I think Chud got stuck playing games against himself last season... trying to out think being out thought, and it backfired.

Why are we even worrying about yards per game? If you score 35 points a game who cares if you do it with 350 yards or 250?? You get no wins for gaining yards and it isn't that correlated with time of possession.

What will determine the number of yards is opportunities. What increases opportunities is giving the ball back to the offense with stops and turnovers. The best way to increase the offense is through great defense.

This %1000

That is the very reason that I have said drafting Star an KK may have improved our offense more than any WR would have.

I know this turned into a lighthearted thread, but my whole point kind of relates back to Zod's fears about Shula from his days in Tampa and Alabama. I'm sure he simplified things then as well. First you cut down the terminology and length of the play call. Then what, you cut back on plays that involve risk and pound it up the middle because a punt is not necessarily a bad play?

My jury is still out on Shula. I love his family's steakhouse though.

I think they just want to play to Cam's strengths, which is fast. Simplifying the verbage is playing faster, it's not simplifying the actual play. I think were gonna see some no huddle looks this coming season.

Good point.

I think they just want to play to Cam's strengths, which is fast. Simplifying the verbage is playing faster, it's not simplifying the actual play. I think were gonna see some no huddle looks this coming season.

Exactly.

Cam has played best when they just let him play.

I agree with you. The only major complaint I had with Chud was our pace. I hate when we waste timeouts because we are getting to the line of scrimmage so late in the play clock.

I like it when a team gets to the line with 20+ seconds left on the clock. I hate watching the play clock almost expire every snap with Cam back there clapping frantically for the ball. It hurts protection, hurts rhythm, and forces us to waste timeouts that we need in late half and late game situations.

When I read "simplifying" and then I think back to the Peter Pan Tricky Fairy Dust Offense we ran last year I think "duh".

We all complained non-stop last year about how we kept trying to outsmart everyone instead of using our weapons for what they are.  I, for one, will do a fuging happy dance in my living room if things come out slightly more straight-forward than they were last year.  And if I never have to think "3rd down?  The option will fool them for sure this time they'll never expect a third one" again so much the better.

I think he pointed out you might lower your expectations a bit. 425yard minimum each game isn't realistic for this offense.

Ahem. 

Didn't the Panthers Avg 400 yds a game in 2011, even when they repeatedly called off the dogs (and Cam) when they had leads during the second half, towards the end of the season?

The Panthers would have did the same in 2012, if they/Chud didn't butcher the first half of the season. 

So I certainly wouldn't call it 'un-realistic'. The goal isn't to be #1 in offense. The goal is to utilize the strengths of Cam, so they get both the running, long pass and short/intermediate pass game going. That's what the team is built on. 

If they do that, they will avg close to or over 400 yds a game, indeed. 

The reality is, even when the Panthers compile plenty yards, they still don't score an appreciable amount of points, due to such things as an un-opportunistic/lack of big play defense, the defense spending too much time on the field, Rivera not going for it at the end of halves, and when the has more than a 14 pt lead, as well as a poor/poorer third down conversion. 

I hope Shula can fix all this. 

Archived