• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty's OTA observations

PantherFeez

You could argue Greg Olsen is basically a receiver. He's not always lined up at the end of the line. Having two phenomenal receiving options plus role players is what I'd like in an ideal offense. The Panthers have that in Smitty and Olsen IMO. The rest is icing on the cake.

I consider him a WR....

But Smith is too old.  Not too old to be

Look at WR from Gettlemen's perspective.  The Panthers had to take Star when he was there at 14--a player who has been out of the league since about 2010 was probably topping the depth chart and Star had top 5 talent. And there was no quality depth behind Dwan Edwards--a player the Bills waived last year, so we were not loaded at under tackle either.  Short was criticized because he took plays off, causing his stock to drop into the second round.  He was ALWAYS on the field for Purdue, fighting double teams--Gettlemen thinks he had first round talent, which he did in 2011.   Yes, a WR would have been nice, but at least we have players with experience and upside there--DT had nothing.

DTs are involved in every play, rushing the passer or stuffing the run. WRs might impact 6-7 plays a game.  Inside out is a smart approach. 

Having stated that, lets get off the "Why didn't we draft a WR?" question.  We had 5 picks.  Two to address the biggest 2 needs on the team: Nose and under tackle.  They are not the same position.

So the fourth round of the draft was unlikely to produce a WR who could beat out Gettis/Hixon/Ginn/Pilares.  So we should have grabbed one in free agency.  WRs in free agency are overpriced--the good ones usually do not get there.  Besides, we had huge needs in the defensive backfield and we were $16 million over the cap.   WR in free agency was not an option either, if you think about it.

So, if you are the GM, you build the DT and DB positions, keeping you in games.   NOW, we have $10 million to spend, but there is not a single player who upgrades the position.  We will watch the wire, but the smart move is to let the players you have compete.

How many of our WRs are on the last year of their contracts?

Edwards

LaFell

Gettis

Hixon

Ginn

That leaves Smitty, Pilares, and Adams. 

Gettlemen will go after a #1 WR for 2014 because Smith will drop to the #2/slot as he ages.  This should bother Lafell.  If Lafell has the same kind of year he had in 2012, he will not get a second contract from us--he shouldn't.  Compare his numbers with the rest of the league and in relation to the number of yards Cam has thrown for since he got here.  Underperformance for a #2 WR.

We will go with these WRs and cream needs to rise.  If not, WR will have a different look in 2014. 

Considering we just paid Dwan.....drafting Short didn't then fill the biggest remaining need on the team.   IMO. 

Considering we just paid Dwan.....drafting Short didn't then fill the biggest remaining need on the team. IMO.

Short may not have been the biggest need,but 3 tech was a need none the less. And at that point in the draft there wasn't a WR worth taking esp over KK.

I can't argue that WR isn't a HUUUGE need. Because it is. Our only real chances of landing one was to pass on Star OR trade back into the 1st to grab one. Neither should've or did happen. I look for a double dip at WR next season. One in FA and one in the draft.

KK and Star, assuming both become franchise players down the road, will serve this defense well..  Both can play NT and get after QB.  Obviously their job description may officially be one of NT and the other UT, but I think most fans will appreciate the "double dip" of versatility down the road.  

success rate at this point is in question, but that's true for whoever you pick up... 

Holy hell can we just get to preseason before we decide what the problem areas really are?!

Fact: No one knows poo right now. No one.

Fact: The draft is over and bitching about it now is pointless.

Fact: The offseason on the message boards is worse than having to watch Lifetime with my girlfriend (and that is fuging awful).

Holy hell can we just get to preseason before we decide what the problem areas really are?!

Fact: No one knows poo right now. No one.

Fact: The draft is over and bitching about it now is pointless.

Fact: The offseason on the message boards is worse than having to watch Lifetime with my girlfriend (and that is fuging awful).

+1

Hixon is an upgrade over Murphy? I'm looking at the stats, and just not seeing it. If anything, I think it's a wash. I mean, I guess you can say the offense has been upgraded if you expect Lafell to take the next step, and the oline to be improved. I'm still hesitant about both, especially that oline. I know alot of ppl point to Kalil coming back as a reason for optimism, but that line was garbage for the few games Kalil was in there.

Hixon is an upgrade over Murphy? I'm looking at the stats, and just not seeing it. If anything, I think it's a wash. I mean, I guess you can say the offense has been upgraded if you expect Lafell to take the next step, and the oline to be improved. I'm still hesitant about both, especially that oline. I know alot of ppl point to Kalil coming back as a reason for optimism, but that line was garbage for the few games Kalil was in there.

Hixon has better hands for sure. He wasn't targeted a lot with the Gmen. He also missed a significant amount of playing time due to injury. If he can remain healthy he's a for sure upgrade. He's not as fast as Murph. But if you've seen him play he makes some clutch catches. The same can't be said for Murphy.

All we need is smith to get over 1000 which he can do Lafell to get 50+ receptions 800 yards and 5+ Tds which he can do then we are fine with the rest. Hixon and Olsen will give us around 8 Tds together so that's a good amount if offense not including our running game

Short may not have been the biggest need,but 3 tech was a need none the less. And at that point in the draft there wasn't a WR worth taking esp over KK.

I can't argue that WR isn't a HUUUGE need. Because it is. Our only real chances of landing one was to pass on Star OR trade back into the 1st to grab one. Neither should've or did happen. I look for a double dip at WR next season. One in FA and one in the draft.

Can we afford to double dip at WR....with Gross retiring?

We will have need at RT, LT, S, CB. G play could still be question as well.

Can we afford to double dip at WR....with Gross retiring?

We will have need at RT, LT, S, CB. G play could still be question as well.

Didnt say we'd draft two (tho its not out of the realm of possibility). Im thinking one in FA and one in the draft. Mainly because after this season we've got 3 WRs under contract. Two of those could be cut this year (Pilares & Adams) .Doubt we'll be able to find starters at all those positions, through the draft. I'd look for us to grab more 1 year rentals at some of those positions. Then draft accordingly.

I look at it like given the money we have, what could we do to improve our offense the most next year? I know we need to add a receiver but I feel upgrading the right side of our offensive line would improve both our running and passing game more so than adding a WR.When Cam is having to roll to his right every other passing down it limits the targets he has to throw to anyway.

Greg Jennings is legit. Jordy Nelson is legit. Cobb has GREAT talent. Driver was a rock.

....and Aaron Rodgers doesn't own many single game Packer records. Matt Flynn has a few....throwing to that stud cast.

as far as NE goes....Welker is a beast in the slot. Was a beast even w/ Cassel. And Gronk and Gonzalez poo all over our 2nd and 3rd options.

We are a Cam Newton lead attack...not a RB attack. We have talent to be one if we wanted to be one...but we haven't been under Rivera. Not in terms of a running means you rely on your RBs to be your offense.

I hope your kidding... Down playing what Aaron Rogers means to that team would be dumb even for you CRA. Also Smith and Olson are just as good as Seller and Gonzo then you add the fact we have a role player in LaFell and we have equal talent and even more this year.

Archived