• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hornets / Bobcats draft Zeller

Zod

I have nothing to do today so I am watching scouting reports on Zeller... here is the info I have gathered.

- Zeller weighs 240 lbs. and wants to add 15 to 20 lbs... a stretch four at 260 lbs. that can shoot outside, bang in the post, and run the floor could be just what the doctor ordered for the BuzzCats

- He has proved that he can add weight. He has added 35 lbs. since his freshmen year.

- Transition buckets were a huge part of his offense as it made up 14% of his total offense. Zeller converted 80% of his attempts in transition (great number).

- Freshmen year he went 35-41 in transition to make of 11.9% of his offense.

- Freshmen year he averaged 0.94 points per play in the post (just a har under 50%), making up 32.4% of his offense.

- Freshmen year he was 4th in the NCAA in field goal percentage

- Averaged over a point per play in his transition offense.

- Without even seeing him play an NBA game, I would bet that he has the best handles out of any seven footer in the NBA.

- His length makes him great at hedging screens. The BuzzCats have never had a center that's productive at that.

- Has great potential as a pick and roll player because of his great hands and good footwork.

- One of the few players in the draft that is comfortable scoring over either shoulder.

- Has a very effective spin move in the post.

- Good face up game and has pretty sneaky jab step move that he'll show you to get buy you on the dribble.

- Has become a better rebounder, improved his rebounding rate by 20% from freshmen to sophomore season.

- One of the only seven footers that I have seen that can put the ball on the floor and drive from the perimeter (three point line).

- Averaged 1.29 points per play in the pick and roll offense (over 50%).

- Freshmen year he averaged 8.3 free throw attempts per 40, 5th most among centers

- The best center at getting to the line out of the top 100 centers in the NCAA. Averaged 9.7 free throw attempts per 40. Zeller has a great pump fake.

- Has good/fluid shooting mechanics, shot 75.7% from the free throw line.

- Good iso player, averaged 1.0 point per play in isolation situations (freshmen year).

- Great pick pocket player, freshmen year he led all centers in steals per 40 with 1.9.

- Decent shot blocker, averaged 1.6 blocks per 40 his freshmen year.

- Very active post defender, he likes to poke entry passes away.

- The fact that he is a hard worker can not be said enough.

The only true weakness that I see in his game is his body... If he puts on 15 to 20 more lbs. he could potentially be a very and I mean very good NBA player. The rest of the stuff like rebounding, finishing in traffic, shot blocking, and playing through contact will come with adding weight.

I get good feelings thinking about a Clifford offense that his up-tempo (suits Zeller) and then Mark Price perfecting his shot with Ewing toughening him up.

I have nothing to do today so I am watching scouting reports on Zeller... here is the info I have gathered.

- Zeller weighs 240 lbs. and wants to add 15 to 20 lbs... a stretch four at 260 lbs. that can shoot outside, bang in the post, and run the floor could be just what the doctor ordered for the BuzzCats

- He has proved that he can add weight. He has added 35 lbs. since his freshmen year.

- Transition buckets were a huge part of his offense as it made up 14% of his total offense. Zeller converted 80% of his attempts in transition (great number).

- Freshmen year he went 35-41 in transition to make of 11.9% of his offense.

- Freshmen year he averaged 0.94 points per play in the post (just a har under 50%), making up 32.4% of his offense.

- Freshmen year he was 4th in the NCAA in field goal percentage

- Averaged over a point per play in his transition offense.

- Without even seeing him play an NBA game, I would bet that he has the best handles out of any seven footer in the NBA.

- His length makes him great at hedging screens. The BuzzCats have never had a center that's productive at that.

- Has great potential as a pick and roll player because of his great hands and good footwork.

- One of the few players in the draft that is comfortable scoring over either shoulder.

- Has a very effective spin move in the post.

- Good face up game and has pretty sneaky jab step move that he'll show you to get buy you on the dribble.

- Has become a better rebounder, improved his rebounding rate by 20% from freshmen to sophomore season.

- One of the only seven footers that I have seen that can put the ball on the floor and drive from the perimeter (three point line).

- Averaged 1.29 points per play in the pick and roll offense (over 50%).

- Freshmen year he averaged 8.3 free throw attempts per 40, 5th most among centers

- The best center at getting to the line out of the top 100 centers in the NCAA. Averaged 9.7 free throw attempts per 40. Zeller has a great pump fake.

- Has good/fluid shooting mechanics, shot 75.7% from the free throw line.

- Good iso player, averaged 1.0 point per play in isolation situations (freshmen year).

- Great pick pocket player, freshmen year he led all centers in steals per 40 with 1.9.

- Decent shot blocker, averaged 1.6 blocks per 40 his freshmen year.

- Very active post defender, he likes to poke entry passes away.

- The fact that he is a hard worker can not be said enough.

The only true weakness that I see in his game is his body... If he puts on 15 to 20 more lbs. he could potentially be a very and I mean very good NBA player. The rest of the stuff like rebounding, finishing in traffic, shot blocking, and playing through contact will come with adding weight.

I get good feelings thinking about a Clifford offense that his up-tempo (suits Zeller) and then Mark Price perfecting his shot with Ewing toughening him up.

Awesome post. 

I really think Zeller can turn into a free throw machine.  With the physical play of the B1G, and the fact that they pretty much allow people to get murdered without calling a foul will really help Zeller.

Awesome post.

I really think Zeller can turn into a free throw machine. With the physical play of the B1G, and the fact that they pretty much allow people to get murdered without calling a foul will really help Zeller.

Lol thanks man, perks of being a sport management major.

I get to convince my dad that getting a job at a retail store is not going to help further my career; so I get to stay home and look up sports info all day.

So he made a allstar game. That's a popularity contest just like the probowl.

lol. Not quite. Most of the team is picked by coaches. NBA isn't the NFL. Any team would love to get a 1 or 2 time all-star in this draft. Most teams would be happy with a decent starter. Go look at some of the historical bad NBA drafts, which is what this one is being compared to. Most of the guys, even lottery picks, were either career backups or soon out of the league. Drafting an all-star, even a low tier one, would be a big success. 

How dare we draft the most athletic big in the draft who also happened to be the best player of the best team in the nation playing in the best conference in the nation.

We should have gotten one of those other bigs that has already had surgery on their lower body or that one kid who doesn't seem to give a sh1t about basketball.

Idiots.

Well, I get what you're saying, but I think Len has the higher upside from what I've seen.  TBH, I don't really follow the Bobcats (Hornets, Bobhornets, or whatever), but that's mainly because they suck. Don't get me wrong, I don't really "follow" any team (and haven't since the Bad Boys back in the day), but I do make mental notes of what's happening in the NBA, and I do watch playoff games when I can catch them. Hell, I even took the 11th and 18th off work so I could watch the entire championship. But it would be easy for me to actually become a Bobcats fan if they even put something remotely compelling on the floor.  Their brand of basketball has been uninspiring, and I will be mighty shocked if Zeller is the piece that turns the team around on the floor, much less in our minds.

When they picked Zeller, I literally said "Cody Zeller? Seriously?"  Another safe and solid pick is not what they need. They need a guy with a high ceiling and Ben McLemore was that guy imho.  Zeller can't impose his will enough against quality competition imho. But, I guess he can always develop and grow.

***Back to thinking about the Heat, Lakers, OKC, etc.***

I was shocked at first, but I really like the pick now. I think Zeller has the potential to be a all star type player. You know he is going to work hard and get better. I really like that our team has a bunch of gym rats that want to be great.

He did really well in this draft workout and the Hornets draft workout

potential allstar...really?

nerlens has bust written all over him

And zeller doesn't? His game is similar to his brother tho he may bemore athletic,I just see him not being aggressive enuff and geting pounded by true bigs. This was a bad pick at"4" and i don't care how anyone says he runs the floor or how "polished" he is. the guy is a role player period.

hornets.gif Charlotte Hornets: Cody Zeller, C, Indiana - F Grade 
I have been captaining the Cody Zeller is overrated bandwagon for the past few months, so clearly I don't get this one AT ALL especially when Noel, Len, and McLemore are all on the board. At best, Zeller is what ... a decent role player? He's soft as heck. This must be an attempt to tank next season and get Andrew Wiggins.

hornets.gif Charlotte Hornets: Cody Zeller, C, Indiana - F Grade 

I have been captaining the Cody Zeller is overrated bandwagon for the past few months, so clearly I don't get this one AT ALL especially when Noel, Len, and McLemore are all on the board. At best, Zeller is what ... a decent role player? He's soft as heck. This must be an attempt to tank next season and get Andrew Wiggins.

That's plain dumb. If we want to attempt to tank next season, we easily go with Noel (injury).

Archived