• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith the Philanthropist

Captroop

So I was on the phone with a recruiter today (losing my job again...big surprise), and she mentioned she was in the Charlotte area. So as it happens every time I talk to someone from the Carolinas, I ask if she is a Panthers fan. She says kinda, but she wishes they would play better. She's not exactly a die hard.

Then she mentions her son goes to school with Steve Smith's kids. They go to the same private Christian school. Then she mentions what an amazing guy Steve Smith is; that he has donated an incredible amount of money to the school. Lots of the Private Christian Schools in the area have gone out of business since the recession, but this one has been able to stay open, largely because of Steve's contributions. She said that so far Steve has donated:

• A state-of-the-art playground
  • 6 modular classrooms to hold all the new students coming from the now closed schools
  • And he individually financed a new, state-of-the-art science lab for the school

Now I know often is the time we have these discussions about athletes being unfairly labeled as thugs. But damn! And maybe because I'm not in the market, but I've never heard of this at all.

Now I know Steve has had what some people called a checkered past. He's gotten in some fights, and with teammates, but I think he's just a fiery, pugnacious athlete with little-man complex, and I told her as much. And off the field I think he's a completely different person than ESPN likes to paint him. She agreed, and said he truly is one of the nicest people she has ever met.

The next person I hear call him a thug when I'm around gets an earful.

Thats the way to be! I dont mind someone who plays like a "thug" or plays with a chip on their shoulder on the field. As long as they know how to act off the field. Smitty definitely has his moments on the field where he gets rambunctious, but he is no doubt a professional and great guy.  

This is not "a litle man complex" but more some young dumb DBs disrecpting him again and again.

You want to brag and trash talk with Smitty, ok but show your skills on a regular basis first and the day you will become a good DBs you will be allowed to open your mouth and Smitty will certainly be happy to have you on board.

Until then just keep quiet, work and learn.

And yes Smitty rocks!

This is not "a litle man complex" but more some young dumb DBs disrecpting him again and again.

You want to brag and trash talk with Smitty, ok but show your skills on a regular basis first and the day you will become a good DBs you will be allowed to open your mouth and Smitty will certainly be happy to have you on board.

Until then just keep quiet, work and learn.

And yes Smitty rocks!

Bro.. you say this and all I can think about is Fred Smoots in 2005 talking how he was going to shut Smitty down.   Best part about it.  It was my first Panther game since I saw them win the NFC West against Pittsburgh in 1996.  Chad Cota sealing the deal with an interception of Corell Stewart.

Here is a link to the day after. 

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/10/31/Sports/Smith_smothers_Smoot_.shtml

This is classic Steve Smith  "When somebody is banging on your door, I am not going to hide in the corner ... I am going to open it."

So I was on the phone with a recruiter today (losing my job again...big surprise), and she mentioned she was in the Charlotte area. So as it happens every time I talk to someone from the Carolinas, I ask if she is a Panthers fan. She says kinda, but she wishes they would play better. She's not exactly a die hard.

Then she mentions her son goes to school with Steve Smith's kids. They go to the same private Christian school. Then she mentions what an amazing guy Steve Smith is; that he has donated an incredible amount of money to the school. Lots of the Private Christian Schools in the area have gone out of business since the recession, but this one has been able to stay open, largely because of Steve's contributions. She said that so far Steve has donated:

• A state-of-the-art playground
  • 6 modular classrooms to hold all the new students coming from the now closed schools
  • And he individually financed a new, state-of-the-art science lab for the school

Now I know often is the time we have these discussions about athletes being unfairly labeled as thugs. But damn! And maybe because I'm not in the market, but I've never heard of this at all.

Now I know Steve has had what some people called a checkered past. He's gotten in some fights, and with teammates, but I think he's just a fiery, pugnacious athlete with little-man complex, and I told her as much. And off the field I think he's a completely different person than ESPN likes to paint him. She agreed, and said he truly is one of the nicest people she has ever met.

The next person I hear call him a thug when I'm around gets an earful.

thug

*sprints away*

Archived