• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Prisco's Camp Observations

Gabeking

Your guy's favorite. Here's an interesting (albeit questionable) quote about Barner along with the link to the rest of the article.

DeAngelo Williams is the Panthers starting running back, but Jonathan Stewart isn't practicing after having surgery on both ankles. That should open a chance for rookie Kenjon Barner to get some time. But he has danced too much so far in camp and the coaches want him to hit the holes harder. He has big-play speed, but there are questions whether he can run inside the tackles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pete-prisco/23072284/panthers-camp-observations-can-the-secondary-take-a-big-step-forward

I was at camp last week and what I saw of Barner, he was shooting through small holes with no problems....can't wait to watch him play on Friday night!

I agree with Kyle.  I have been to 2 TC's and FF and Barner hasn't shown any hesitation to me.

AND...we have something in common...I like small holes too and have shot through them many times.

GOOD NIGHT EVERYBODY!!!!!

The take on Barner sounds like bullshit to me. He must be reading some pre-camp press clippings and flying by the seat of his pants.  Rivera himself said that the main issue with Barner is going to be his blocking. Sometimes these national media types display obvious signs of glossing over their homework.

The take on Barner sounds like bullshit to me. He must be reading some pre-camp press clippings and flying by the seat of his pants. Rivera himself said that the main issue with Barner is going to be his blocking. Sometimes these national media types display obvious signs of glossing over their homework.

Exactly. I wrote enough bullshit papers in college, so I know it when I see it.

Prisco doesn't really report the news, he just reports someone else's reporting.  This so-called journalists gets paid to recycle and regurgitate the same information over and over.  The general consensus among major media outlets (CBS) is that the Panthers aren't a playoff contender.  They question the defense.  They question Cam.  Although Prisco doesn't comment on Cam, that's just a sign of weak reporting because Cam's leadership this season is going to be a big story I expect (one way or the other).  He doesn't address it.

Here, Prisco focuses his criticism on the defense (and that stat about pass completion percentage is very damning, it's true) and he's not really wrong.  But he totally wiffs on the Barner comment.  There is no way you could watch this kid play and think that he doesn't hit the hole.  He's improved on blocking tremendously, too (which is where you expect him to be weakest.)  Anyway, how could Prisco have been paying attention?  Answer: he wasn't.

He probably just lifted that info from some outdated mainstream source and thought it would play.  He's not writing this to fans of the team, mind you.  His audience largely consists of other mainstream media "journalists" like those at ESPN, NFLN, and FOX.  This creates a kind of looping effect that forms a bubble of unreality around these guys' brains.  He's not writing an in-depth piece and he's not really interested in going there.  He needs to churn out another Cowboys/Patriots/Saints love letter.

Prisco did tweet this today:

@PriscoCBS: Cam Newton > All other young QBs. Right now.

Who are we to argue?

Prisco has been saying Cam will explode this season for some time. He is VERY high on him this year. He is always tweeting about how too many are talking about last years rookie QB and should be talking Cam

Archived