• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next Up Research: Philadelphia Eagles

redbuddha

Does anyone know what the Injury report for them is?

in addition to their center just coming back after bad injuries last year (torn ACL and MCL)...

Going in to the first preseason game of the year, there were questions about how a lack of regular hitting and tackling in training camp might impact what the Eagles do in a game situation. While designed to avoid injuries in practice, the Eagles have already lost a pair of wide receivers for the season in wide receivers Jeremy Maclin and Arrelious Benn. Linebacker Jason Phillips has also been lost for the year, with all three players suffering torn ACL injuries.

During the exhibition loss to the Patriots, the Eagles lost a small handful of players for the game with injuries. The Eagles lost three linebackers during the course of the game. Jamar Chaney left with a shoulder injury, and Casey Matthews and Chris McCoy each left with a knee injury. Chaney and Matthews are each questionable for the second preseason game against the Carolina Panthers. McCoy should be available for the game. 

The Eagles also lost long snapper Jon Dorenbos during the game, forcing the Eagles to play the rest of the game without a long snapper ready to play. Brent Celek is the team's backup long snapper, but head coach Chip Kelly did not feel comfortable putting him in a position to snap for kicks without much practice. Dorenbos was carted off the field and later was diagnosed with a concussion. His status for the next game remains unconfirmed.

The Eagles held out a handful of players due to injury concerns. In addition to those already on injured reserve, the Eagles held out running back LeSean McCoy, cornerback Carey Williams, and tackles Jason Peters, Dennis Kelly and Ed Wang. McCoy, the team's top running back, tweaked his knee on Monday but the injury does not appear to be too serious. Keeping him out of the game may have been more of a precaution than anything else. With McCoy out, the Eagles gave Bryce Brown an opportunity to take charge in the running game, and he rushed for an average of 4.4 yards per carry, scored a touchdown, and added a couple of catches for 19 yards.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/philadelphia-eagles-injury-report-jason-kelce-feels-good-165100792.html

the following is from yesterday.

Jason Peters did not practice Sunday and has not worked out with the Eagles in more than a week since he reinjured his hamstring.

The starting left tackle did some running at Lincoln Financial Field as the rest of the team went through a light practice. Peters, who missed the preseason opener on Friday night, has not played in a game since the 2011 season.

Peters ruptured his Achilles tendon in March 2012 and missed all of last season.

"He's made improvements and strides," Eagles coach Chip Kelly said. "But if he doesn't practice, we're not going to play him on Thursday."

The Eagles, who host the Carolina Panthers on Thursday, are slated to practice in pads on Monday and Tuesday.

Several starters returned to practice on Sunday. Running back LeSean McCoy, who missed most of last week with a knee injury, practiced, as did cornerback Cary Williams, who has been sidelined for most of training camp with a hamstring injury.

"We'll be interested in his recovery this afternoon, how he feels," Kelly said of Williams. "If we can get a couple days of practice in, we really need to get him out on the field."

Defensive tackle Antonio Dixon (hamstring) also returned to practice.

The Eagles signed long snapper James Winchester, an undrafted rookie out of Oklahoma, to fill in for Jon Dorenbos, who suffered a concussion Friday night. The Eagles are hoping that Dorenbos will be cleared to play in time for the Panthers.

"He's fine," Kelly said. "But there is a protocol that you have to go through."

Also sitting out practice with injuries were running back Bryce Brown (quadriceps), linebacker Phillip Hunt (knee), linebacker Casey Matthews (knee), wide receiver Damaris Johnson (hamstring), tackle Ed Wang (knee), and tackle Dennis Kelly (knee).

http://articles.philly.com/2013-08-12/sports/41337376_1_eagles-notes-ed-wang-bennie-logan

i'm not familiar enough with these guys to know who is key and who isn't.

Am I the only one that is not taking philly lightly here? And no, I am not talking about PhillyB...

i'm definitely not...although i am taking this game lightly. it's preseason.

i think that kelly's team will be a force to be reckoned with at some point. i do think that it's going to take him a little while for him to get the players he needs for his system.

when we play them, tho, i think this is an area that barner's experience with kelly and his tendencies would be invaluable. you want to know how kelly's offense works? ask the guy that was his main weapon last year and who spent 4 years in kelly's program.

i'm definitely not...although i am taking this game lightly. it's preseason.

i think that kelly's team will be a force to be reckoned with at some point. i do think that it's going to take him a little while for him to get the players he needs for his system.

when we play them, tho, i think this is an area that barner's experience with kelly and his tendencies would be invaluable. you want to know how kelly's offense works? ask the guy that was his main weapon last year and who spent 4 years in kelly's program.

kenjon actually mentioned in an interview that he had talked to the coaches about Chip and game planning

kenjon actually mentioned in an interview that he had talked to the coaches about Chip and game planning

i hadn't heard that, but i'm glad of it.

i saw that the defense had done some plays with their backs started to the offense yesterday. i wonder if that was a barner suggestion or the fruit of it.

Am I the only one that is not taking philly lightly here? And no, I am not talking about PhillyB...

It a preseason game. Of course we are taking them lightly. As long as the first half ends with the panthers on top, ill be glad the coaches can gameplan madden style since that's all this is.

It does feel good to win so that I'm excited for, however it's not a priority of mine. How will Cam look, how is the offensive play calling, and how is the new Dline helping our back 7.

There is no reason to expect that we will duplicate the Patriots' performance.  Also, consider that the Patriots had gotten a pretty good look at every facet of the Eagles team during practice over the course of a few days prior to the actual preseason game.

We have game tape, but its not the same.  Still, the important thing is to improve and practice our schemes vs. a live opponent, not necessarily to win the game.  It will be an excellent test of our defense (scheme and stamina) to have the Eagles run 80 plays on offense.  I wouldn't be surprised if it exposes some of our players.

That said, you have to expect Nick Foles to get a rude introduction to our new and improved D-line pretty quickly.  He holds onto the ball and our line will probably eat him up on a series or two.  Likewise, if our offense clicks at all, I think we will have a good long look at the RBs and WRs.  Barner will probably shine in this game (as long as he doesn't fumble) and the huddle will blow up.  But considering how terrible the Eagles run D is, people shouldn't get too excited.  He is still a rookie and undersized.

Basically we get to listen to CRA all next week whine about how this game didn't count and Williams still sucks even though he went off.

Well if he averages 2 yards and carry and you claim he went ham on the Eagles.....I will correct that. That isn't going off.

Archived