• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera says offense not good enough

Ruff

Well, on a positive note, Ryan Kalil and Greg Olsen both said that to them the game was a loss and they're upset with how the offense has performed as well. A lot of soul searching from that side of the ball right now, so at least they seem to understand they need to get it turned around now and not in week 10.

If he were actually addressing Kalil, he'd be talking to the wrong guy.

Kalil is the bet OL we have. And while Gross isn't what he once was, he's still good.

Everybody else... :unsure:

Cam has a legitimate beef with Kalil, the protection calls have been poor all preseason. Blitzes are going unrecognized and guys are whiffing on their blocks. It's Kalil's crew and he has to get them in order.

Pass blocking isn't bad for preseason form.  There was a pretty good pocket most of the time and there were a number of good blitz pickups.  Run blocking was worse than ever.  Ravens being good and preseason vanilla probably made it even more glaring.

I want to point out that the offense ran virtually no plays (one screen I can remember that got 1 yd) designed to cope with the lack of a true running game.  In the past teams like Philly and NE have operated largely without a running game.  San Diego is another example.  These teams used screens, tosses to the outside, short passes, etc. to take the place of the 3-5 yd run play. 

These teams often did involve the RB, but they used the pass to set up the run.   We can do something similar: spread the D out with short passing and outside runs, tosses, and bootlegs to soften up that middle before we start to try to run the ball.  When we come out and try to pound the rock from the first play, the other team expects it and stuffs it.

Part of the reason D-lo and others are getting stuffed at the LOS is that the defense is keying in on those runs between the tackles.  They know its coming (this was the same reason why our running game failed last season).  We have not run the option at all in the preseason.  You know its not just going to completely disappear, but nobody has any film on it now, so hopefully it will be more effective.

I know the o-line looks bad.  They were nowhere near solid in that game.  We would have lost the game 27-13 without the 3 defensive tds.  But I will still hold out hope that RR and Shula are purposefully holding back 1) the read option, 2) certain protection packages, and 3) screens, bootlegs, Cam runs, short passing, etc.

Another thing, though, that bothered me was Cam's inaccuracy and dropped passes (LaFell and Olsen).  Nothing we do will be effective if that poo continues.

Archived