• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Q and A with Gettleman

TheRumGone

Actually I like what he said. Even with our weakness at o-line he worded it right. No one in there right mind will come to the media and say our o line is horrible and the sky is falling, even if they do deserve it. But yup I'm happy.

That's my GM.

PantherNation

Actually I like what he said. Even with our weakness at o-line he worded it right. No one in there right mind will come to the media and say our o line is horrible and the sky is falling, even if they do deserve it. But yup I'm happy.

That's my GM.

PantherNation

I wouldn't care what he says about the line if he would actually take action about it. A lot of the upgrades have been snatched off the market, but there are still at least 2 or 3 guards better than Garry Williams available.

I wouldn't care what he says about the line if he would actually take action about it. A lot of the upgrades have been snatched off the market, but there are still at least 2 or 3 guards better than Garry Williams available.

I feel you all the way. Actions speak louder then words. But at the same time I ain't mad at him. He made some good progress to keep my attention. Its just a sit and wait game now

It cannot be stressed enough how much of a positive impact Gettles has made to the team in just one offseason.

I believe the culture is totally changed and yes even cut like Gettis will help this team move forward.

The time of just letting guys ease back..eventually get over flat, unmotivated play is done. Veteran favortisim is gone and competetion is forcing guys to play with an edge. If you have a history of injuries that prevents you from playing and contributing the front office has made it clear that "there is no time for that"

I believe Rivera and staff(Shula, not so much..yet) are in the best possible position any GM could get the team to. Sure we did not get that WR but we should have now the makings of a defense that will dictate and control a game. A Special teams who actually played with some dominance in this pre season....

If Gettles fixed 2 of the teams major deficiencies(Special Teams and Defense) then those losses by 6 points or less should be far and few between.

I think most of us,myself included have been so vested emotionally in the team that it is hard to forgive the last 4-5 years. If you can let it go, look at this season as The 1st official of the Gettles era and view it as fresh start for Rivera and gang...you will enjoy...as we gain success and Wins.

10 win season here we come!!! (my official prediction)

10-6 Panthers

10-6 Falcons

9-7 Saints

6-10 Bucs

This 'process' poo about the o-line is dreadful to hear. Basically it's admitting we'll suck for half the season, and maybe our line will play well enough to get us to 7-9 with a late run.

I know everyone is getting excited as game 1 looms, but I'm still having trouble moving on beyond what I said in July. If we don't pick up anyone to improve the right side of the line, I can't really picture anything higher than 6-10.

Cmon dude "it's a process" is like the new "it is what it is". I can't wait to hear Ron blurt that out in next week's press conference if the line doesn't look anywhere close to something that can block for our QB and the panthers lose another season opener

Hmm... I guess that "conspiracy" that Armanti fanboys were spouting off in the Gettis threads is a reality, lol.

Now, before they run out with their pitchforks, I want to add that my favorite part of this article is saying Armanti is the 3rd QB, which is what I think he should've been all along. In fact, I still don't know why the staff ever felt the need to MAKE him a WR. Now, it's nice that he is supposedly able to contribute in both facets, but I would've loved to see what he could do as QB as a rookie and then move from there... much like the Vikings did with Joe Webb.

But I also think it sheds more light in why Armanti made the squad over Gettis, he has the value of being QB3 in case something catastrophic happens in any given game.

But also, just because he is emergency QB that would be only to finish a game. If we were unlucky enough to lose both QBs for an extended period of time I am 100% sure we would sign a QB right away.

It doesn't mean AE would be our full time QB if QB1 and QB2 got hurt for an extended period of time.

Cmon dude "it's a process" is like the new "it is what it is". I can't wait to hear Ron blurt that out in next week's press conference if the line doesn't look anywhere close to something that can block for our QB and the panthers lose another season opener

ron just said "to quote from my predecessor 'it is what it is' because it is" just 30 seconds ago.

Did Mista Gettleman toalk aboot his frannchise qwatabak?

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/191/gm-likes-what-hes-seeing-out-of-newton

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A few observations from Carolina Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman before Wednesday's practice:

• He likes what he's seeing out of quarterback Cam Newton in terms of leadership and passing. "He had a really good day in practice on Monday. He had a real good day throwing the ball. He's making good strides. I feel real good about him.''
  • He is working to reach an injury settlement with the 13 players the Panthers waived injured. He wouldn't rule out re-signing a few once the team is allowed to in nine weeks. Wide receiver David Gettis and guard Edmund Kugbila might be candidates.
  • He likes what the team has done to beef up both sides of the line, pointing out that both Super Bowl teams a year ago were strong up front. He's optimistic the offensive line that has been injury plagued during camp will do well, although he's not as comfortable with them as the group he had with the New York Giants. "We had the same offensive line together for five years," Gettleman said. "Those guys could roll out of bed in March and play."

Anyone who knows anything about football knows Gettleman is right on.  The O line is a group of guys who have to play well together anticipate each other's moves and are judged as a unit not individual pieces.  There may have been a few times when guys were blown up and overwhelmed but most of the time the teams we played were blitzing either run blitzing or pass blitzing.  Most of the problems were guys not communicating and picking up guys who were sliding around or linebackers who were blitzing.  That is not about who is the strongest so much as who is anticipating and working together to pick up the protection schemes.  I said a few weeks ago that Gettleman was fine with who we have and it has proven to be correct.  Whether he is a good judge of talent remains to be seen.  But everything he has done for now seems to be right.  Lets see how this unit comes together which will take more than 1 game before deciding if gettleman knows what he is talking about or not.

And yes many of the power run stuffs were run blitzing because we came out in a formation where it was obvious we were running so they put 7 in the box and sent both safeties in the box after the ball was snapped.  Hopefully Shula is more creative now that the full play book is in use.

Archived