• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Q and A with Gettleman

TheRumGone

Anyone who knows anything about football knows Gettleman is right on.  The O line is a group of guys who have to play well together anticipate each other's moves and are judged as a unit not individual pieces.  There may have been a few times when guys were blown up and overwhelmed but most of the time the teams we played were blitzing either run blitzing or pass blitzing.  Most of the problems were guys not communicating and picking up guys who were sliding around or linebackers who were blitzing.  That is not about who is the strongest so much as who is anticipating and working together to pick up the protection schemes.  I said a few weeks ago that Gettleman was fine with who we have and it has proven to be correct.  Whether he is a good judge of talent remains to be seen.  But everything he has done for now seems to be right.  Lets see how this unit comes together which will take more than 1 game before deciding if gettleman knows what he is talking about or not.

And yes many of the power run stuffs were run blitzing because we came out in a formation where it was obvious we were running so they put 7 in the box and sent both safeties in the box after the ball was snapped.  Hopefully Shula is more creative now that the full play book is in use.

thats all well and good and i agree but when bell is getting beat consistently by speed rushers that has nothing to do with communicating to each other.

No. Armanti will not play quarterback except in a dire emergency for less than 1 game.  All of you fans waiting to see what he can do at quarterback are going to be sorely disappointed.  He is wide receiver right now and that is all he will ever be.

Stop with the whole" I would really like to see what he can do at quarterback"  crap.  It aint happening.

thats all well and good and i agree but when bell is getting beat consistently by speed rushers that has nothing to do with communicating to each other.

Yes it does.  I was listening to one of the quarterback analysts- Jim Miller- who said every team has not only weaknesses on the O line but they study what other teams will do.  If a speed rusher who we know likes to rush wide around the end goes that way, it is actually Newton's job to know that and to be able to step up when he needs to or call a roll out to the left to compensate for that.  Bell is going to do what he does which is to try and push him up the field around the back of the pocket. Newton has to compensate for that knowing what is going to happen instead of doing a seven step drop and getting hammered.

Remember this is not me saying this but an ex quarterback who said that many times sacks are caused by quarterbacks who don't feel the pressure, don't know what their linemen are going to do or don't compensate through awareness of playcalling to compensate for an O linemen who is struggling.  Most time they know ahead of time which olinemen will struggle given the matchups they can anticipate after watching loads of film.

REMINDER      ** We Went 6-1 with this Offensive Line to End the Season Last Year. **

I challenge You, the person reading these words, to explain to me why we could go 6-1 with a "poo" O-line and without our improved Defense, But just cannot win with the same line (+Kalil) and a vastly, very much so improved defense/ special teams.

.... please clue me in, cause common sense shows me we are capable of going on another 6-1 stretch.

* Maybe the key to winning and having a good season is truly building off what we did last year, not                                                                      filling in some OL players*

**A fast start**      

Please explain. We are an improved team from last season, how are we not able to go on another 6-1 stretch??                        

Please fill me in on your logic.                                                   

Yeah, it is really getting tiring going into the season without a rock solid O-line as opposed to basically gambling that things will work out.  While the linemen get "comfortable" with one another, Cam could be getting laid out, and we could be losing some close games.  

Let's roll the dice and let the process play out...    SMH

Yeah, the level of O line play has been unacceptable.  I don't understand what "comfortable" is with our current right side? Where Cam isn't running for his life and any run towards those two isn't for negative yards?

Our O line in 08 was new to each other but were getting decent pushes to start off the season and were really beastly by the end of the season. 

But I also think it sheds more light in why Armanti made the squad over Gettis, he has the value of being QB3 in case something catastrophic happens in any given game.

But also, just because he is emergency QB that would be only to finish a game. If we were unlucky enough to lose both QBs for an extended period of time I am 100% sure we would sign a QB right away.

It doesn't mean AE would be our full time QB if QB1 and QB2 got hurt for an extended period of time.

No doubt, but I was a big fan of Armanti the QB when he was at App St., so I always wanted to see him given that chance in the pros.

It always kind of irritated me that a guy like Chase Daniels, of similar stature, was just ushered in as a QB but, Armanti with more ability, is automatically a candidate to be converted to another position. That was when he became Armanti the WR, which by no fault of his own, I have not been a fan of to this point.

Anyway, I'm just happy to hear they saved a roster spot by finally considering his abilities, as I thought this should've been done 2 years ago.

I would love to hear either G-Man or Rivera comment how Shula is doing with our offense because based on his track record and our preseason its pretty scary as of now. Based on what I have seen they have done nothing to beef up our power running game.

Our offense has looked pathetic the last 2 preseasons...

Archived