• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

animal lovers I need advice!

toldozer

Never declaw a cat, it'd be like dewinging a bird just isn't right. You can't pay to fix everything with animals and cost of money isn't my concern in your situation, do you have the time to give it, love it and train it not to scratch etc.? Does a cat line up with your lifestyle or does it conflict with it? Don't be selfish and keep something you can't commit to, and by commit I don't mean cost $ wise, but giving the animal what it needs emotionally and mentally for 15 years possible longer. Right now, as a kitten, it has its best chance for a good home, don't blow that for him.

Is cutting its nuts off humane?

Keeping cats from unwanted breeding and saving multiple kittens/cats from getting euthanized due to extreme overpopulation due to ignorant owners or say...getting hit by a car in the highway is in fact humane, yes.

Declawing a cat because you're too lazy to train it, too busy to spend time with it, and/or too stupid to do research on the subject, is other the other hand, not humane.

On the way to the gym this morning I watched this baby kitten nearly get run over about five times scared shitless in the middle of the road. Finally me this woman and her daughter were able to get out there stop traffic and rescue him. He kept hissing at the girl but let me pick him right up. They took him to the vet and as I drove to the gym I realized. I want this cat!! It's all black like guess what, a panther. I helped save it's life!!! I already thought of a name for him. Keek!!!!!!! So I decided to call some vets and guess what? First one I call is where they took him. So I've been in contact with the woman and I can have the cat. Here's the issue, spending roughly two hundred dollars to get all his shots will make things tight for a while and there is no chance I can afford to get him declawed at the moment(he'd have to stay inside). So should I suck it up for a little while or let them find him another home? Sorry the post was a little long im just really torn.

I thought you were a good person until you said you would declaw him. You have no business owning a cat if you are going to declaw him. That is the cruelest thing you can do to a cat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

You and the kitten will be fine. Contact your local humane society, explain you've rescued a stray kitten and are low on funds but want to keep him, and they should be able to help  you with costs for shots and later neutering. We only spent around $100 for two neuterings, shots, and a surgery to remove a tumor from one of our boy's mouth. 

Oh, and you have a few weeks before getting him neutered. 8 weeks is way too young. Everyone else has said it, but please don't declaw. I'd be very wary of any vet that still does it. Around our area, none will; nor will they crop ears on dogs.

Well guys I'm pretty crushed right now. Just got the call from the vet to take care of paying for keek's first few rounds of shots and testing for feline leukemia. Before I can even finish giving card info the nurse puts me on hold. The vet comes on and tells me he has a pretty severe hernia and needs either immediate extensive surgery or to be put down. Sometimes life isn't so fair. Makes being upset over a football game seem pretty silly.

Well guys I'm pretty crushed right now. Just got the call from the vet to take care of paying for keek's first few rounds of shots and testing for feline leukemia. Before I can even finish giving card info the nurse puts me on hold. The vet comes on and tells me he has a pretty severe hernia and needs either immediate extensive surgery or to be put down. Sometimes life isn't so fair. Makes being upset over a football game seem pretty silly.

So sorry to hear.  How much is the surgery?

Sounds like that vet is too pricey.  No way shots should cost $200.  Call around...call the local humane society. They may be able to offer some help.

Well then initial surgery was going to be several hundred dollars with the possibility of some follow up surgeries being necessary. So the other rescuer made the decision to have the kitten put to sleep as it was in a lot of pain. I was actually at the beach when this all went down so I wasn't really capable of making that call, but I think she made the right decision. Pretty sad day yesterday.

Archived