• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Revisiting an old thought (re: TE)

Mr. Scot

Steelers TE Miller may become a cap casualty

Miller is the kind of dual TE threat I wish the Panthers had, and it's been said previously that - for reasons unknown - Steeler coach Mike Tomlin isn't terribly fond of him. Apparently he got in Tomlin's doghouse sometime back, but it's not known how or why.

Given that he'd command a higher salary than we could likely afford, hard to imagine him coming here unless we cleared some cap with a restructure, a Peppers extension or cuts. Of course, he's a free agent next year anyway, so if the Steelers keep him this season he could be an option in 2010.

All in all, unlikely either way, but I'd love to see it. And if the Panthers were to acquire Miller, you'd likely have to say the NFC South would have the best collection of tight ends in the league.

No disrespect meant to our current starter of course.

[ATTACH]30797[/ATTACH]

I would love to know how a player like Miller would get in a coach's doghouse. Good gravy. Did he make a pass at Tomlin's wife or something?????? Maybe he complained about his role last year since the OL was suspect at times and he had to block more than catch? That would be something that needed to be vetted out for sure. I imagine they wouldn't franchise him next year since they have quite a few contracts expiring in 2010, IIRC. If I were this staff, I would probably give the Rosario/Barnidge duo this year to separate themselves form each other/improve before I would address that position for another guy. They're both young guys with upside.

I would love to know how a player like Miller would get in a coach's doghouse. Good gravy. Did he make a pass at Tomlin's wife or something?????? Maybe he complained about his role last year since the OL was suspect at times and he had to block more than catch? That would be something that needed to be vetted out for sure. I imagine they wouldn't franchise him next year since they have quite a few contracts expiring in 2010, IIRC. If I were this staff, I would probably give the Rosario/Barnidge duo this year to separate themselves form each other/improve before I would address that position for another guy. They're both young guys with upside.

Kevin Brock looked good in minicamp too, honestly.

And SCP, I thinkk between Davidson and Scherer, we might see the TE used more soon.

I agree with this part, but I would be willing to give up Rosario and/or King if we could get Miller. He would be perfect for our offense as a dual threat TE. A TE corps of Miller, Barnidge and Brock (who I think will stick around) would be one of the best in the NFC, let alone the NFCS.

this would be great..but IDK if we would pay him what he wants to be paid.plus he may not want to come to another team that blocks more than pass to the TE

Miller ismainly a blocking TE. I found that out when I had him on my FF team (until I traded him). I don't believe that the Steelers design plays for him, but I do believe that Ben looks for him as a good option in certain situations, especially near the red zone, or to move the chains on third down. He would fit well into our offense, and would give Jake another option to dump the ball off to when the receivers are covered. Yes, he probably would want to get paid a nice sum for his services, but he can't demand Winslow, Gates or Clark money by any stretch of the imagination.

Archived