• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fixing the Panthers Offense in 4 Easy Steps

Zod

I'm not happy with losing to anyone.

I am less angry when we play well overall against a very good team.

And I am never ready to panic and bench/cut/fire everybody after only one game.

Did we "play well"?  We didn't play poorly as a whole, our defense played pretty well, but our offense scored 7 points and had a turnover.  They failed to score enough points to win.  They did not play well.  You can't win in this league if you score 7 points against most teams.

I'm not saying that we should fire Rivera right now, nor bench our players.  But I am concerned because this is a pattern with this team and these coaches, so I'm worried about next week, and the weeks after.

• Pie 1

Did we "play well"?  We didn't play poorly as a whole, our defense played pretty well, but our offense scored 7 points and had a turnover.  They failed to score enough points to win.  They did not play well.  You can't win in this league if you score 7 points against most teams.

I'm not saying that we should fire Rivera right now, nor bench our players.  But I am concerned because this is a pattern with this team and these coaches, so I'm worried about next week, and the weeks after.

you have to be able to get at least 14 points on the board. if you can't, you're doing something wrong.

• Pie 1

The Panthers are a team emblamatic and  symptomatic of 'lost opportunity.'   They are the 'poster children' for the phrase and have been for 5 years.

The Panthers yesterday had a huge opportunity.  Its gone.  They had the crowd behind them.  Its gone.  Everyone in the stands knew with that fumble that was the end, just like with Olsen dropping those passes.

There is not one single player, offensively or defensively,  or Coach, that when the game is on the line to score or to stop the other team from scoring at the end of the game who steps up....not one.  No excuses or reasons here, its fact.   We all know it.

The makeup of this team and this coaching staff is not 'clutch'.  When it matters, they don't.  It's as simple as that and I would suggest that after this year, a lot of players and coaches need to be gone.

As for me, given the cost, time and expense, this is in high likelihood my last year of PSLs.  I'm going to try and enjoy the day, let the millionaires get paid win or lose, and stop drinking the kool aid  of 'next year. '

long season and i know it's been said before. but just enjoy the show, there is a lot to be happy about with this team (defensively). or you could give up already, which i guess you already have.

• Pie 1

I can fix the offense in two steps

1. Fire Shula

2. Hire someone competent at their job.

The way Shula uses Cam, is like giving someone a Lamborghini and letting him drive it like a Toyota Corrola.

Meanwhile Rivera is 2-13 in games decided by a touchdown or less. To me that's a damning statistic, something needs to change. Whether thats winning close games, or cleaning house.

call me crazy but I cannot help feeling that if Olsen caught those 2 open passes, Armond Smith was directed to the bench whenever committing a penalty, Alexander wasn't ejected, and ultimately if Dlo held onto the ball we would be singing praises right now

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

can you say a team that only scores seven points played well? that's what i'm having a hard time with. production is what matters. the offense simply just didn't produce. couldn't even get the ball into field goal range. i'm no fan of FGs, but at least it's points.

I can say they probably would have had 14 against a good defense, if not for... :(

For a season opener?  Yeah, I'd say so.  Week one is always sloppy for most teams, and we definitely had our bad moments (drops, dump mistakes, penalties, etc) but we were indeed in it up to the end.  Like I said, in a season opener, I'll take that over getting blown out anyday.

you have to be able to get at least 14 points on the board. if you can't, you're doing something wrong.

They did.  They fumbled.  They dropped.  They made mistakes.  But again, I expect that in week one.

Bottom line for me: I'm not ready to project an entire season of failure from a week one loss, and a close one at that.

If the team still hasn't won by week four or five, or the mistakes continue and/or get worse, then we can talk.

i have grown tired of watching this team play not to lose. I'm tired of broken promises of an aggressive offense and defense. for the first time since the Panthers have been a team I'm beginning to start to question why I even bother :/

please find players and coaches that play to win.

scratch that. let's get players and coaches that play to dominate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I can fix the offense in two steps

1. Fire Shula

2. Hire someone competent at their job.

The way Shula uses Cam, is like giving someone a Lamborghini and letting him drive it like a Toyota Corrola.

Meanwhile Rivera is 2-13 in games decided by a touchdown or less. To me that's a damning statistic, something needs to change. Whether thats winning close games, or cleaning house.

Because it's easy to find a competent OC who just happens to be available in week two of the season, right?

And hey, installing a whole new system in mid-season after you spent an entire training camp and offseason learning this one?  No problem!

It's simple.  Heck, I do it in Madden all the time.  That's just like the real world, right? :)

• Pie 1

i have grown tired of watching this team play not to lose. I'm tired of broken promises of an aggressive offense and defense. for the first time since the Panthers have been a team I'm beginning to start to question why I even bother :/

please find players and coaches that play to win.

scratch that. let's get players and coaches that play to dominate.

You didn't see an aggressive defense yesterday?

For a season opener?  Yeah, I'd say so.  Week one is always sloppy for most teams, and we definitely had our bad moments (drops, dump mistakes, penalties, etc) but we were indeed in it up to the end.  Like I said, in a season opener, I'll take that over getting blown out anyday.

Only Jacksonville scored fewer points than we did.  Jacksonville.

I suppose you can say that the Seahawks are the best defense in the league by far, but I think this is also a pretty big commentary on the state of our offense.

Only Jacksonville scored fewer points than we did.  Jacksonville.

I suppose you can say that the Seahawks are the best defense in the league by far, but I think this is also a pretty big commentary on the state of our offense.

Technically, they are the second best in the league at this point.